Ultralite Hybrid driver problems with Windows 7 64-Bit

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Mr Fossy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Ultralite Hybrid driver problems with Windows 7 64-Bit

Post by Mr Fossy »

Ah, sorry :oops:

I've become used to veering on the side of caution when it comes to forum etiquette... That being said, I don't know exactly what I was thinking when I decided that I should edit, rather that post again.

I probably wasn't thinking at all... Which means it was an instinctive choice. Which means that my forum conduct has, to some extent, become influenced by hardwired limbic responses. Huh.

That aside, I just want to say again thanks for your help. I can see, from other threads, that you're extending the same courtesy to a bunch of other MOTU users as well.

The fact is that all the threads point to the same thing. Running a USB audio interface on a home PC is far from ideal, as about a million processes and applications are getting in the way of real-time DSP, no matter how powerful your computer is.

Which, I guess, is why professionals use specialized computers, dedicated RAM partitions, and sometimes custom operating systems, and such...

Anyway, everything is working nicely for me now. It may well stop working nicely when Microsoft release the wrong update to MSE, or when I next update my video drivers, or when some other little thing changes.

And then, I'm sure, I'll be here again :)
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by torrentg »

Nah Mr. Fossy, no need for sorry about anything. It's all good!

Glad to hear that things are all well. No update to MSE will ever cause any issues at all. Microsoft is excellent...no, better than excellent, in this regard.

The video corps, aka NVIDA, AMD/ATI and Intel all have their stuff together and anything they do with drivers will never cause any issues with your MOTU setup. So naturally, I do advise updating to newest drivers as they become available.

If you ever do run into issues down the road, yep, we're here to help.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and all the good stuff.

Cheers!
michaelij

Post by michaelij »

Hello,

I'm having similar problems and have been trying a few of the suggestions in this forum but nothing has worked yet. Let me give you a run-down of the issues and what I've tried so far. My goal is to use the ultralite via 4-pin firewire on my laptop. I'm using a fujitsu NH570 laptop with 64 bit Windows and the ultralite mk3 with the latest drivers off the MOTU website(4.0.4.something - can't remember off the top of my head).

Issues

When I was able to get the ultralite to enumerate via firewire, I was able to talk to the ultralite until I opened my DAW at which point the MOTU drivers would crash. A few times I was able to get extremely choppy audio for a short period of time before the drivers would crash and the ultralite would not respond until a PC reboot.

I then switched to USB to see if work that way, and it's better, but it pops and crackles.

I tried to go back to firewire, and the ultralite doesn't enumerate any more.

I switched it back to USB and am still having the same USB issues.

What I've tried

Re-installing the firewire drivers.
Using Legacy firewire drivers.
Re-installing MOTU drivers.
Uninstalling anti-virus software.
Uninstalling all other audio drivers.

I'm not getting BSoDs, so no crash dumps. Let me know if I've missed something or if anyone has more suggestions. Thanks for your help!
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

michaelij wrote:Hello,

I'm having similar problems and have been trying a few of the suggestions in this forum but nothing has worked yet. Let me give you a run-down of the issues and what I've tried so far. My goal is to use the ultralite via 4-pin firewire on my laptop. I'm using a fujitsu NH570 laptop with 64 bit Windows and the ultralite mk3 with the latest drivers off the MOTU website(4.0.4.something - can't remember off the top of my head).

Issues

When I was able to get the ultralite to enumerate via firewire, I was able to talk to the ultralite until I opened my DAW at which point the MOTU drivers would crash. A few times I was able to get extremely choppy audio for a short period of time before the drivers would crash and the ultralite would not respond until a PC reboot.

I then switched to USB to see if work that way, and it's better, but it pops and crackles.

I tried to go back to firewire, and the ultralite doesn't enumerate any more.

I switched it back to USB and am still having the same USB issues.

What I've tried

Re-installing the firewire drivers.
Using Legacy firewire drivers.
Re-installing MOTU drivers.
Uninstalling anti-virus software.
Uninstalling all other audio drivers.

I'm not getting BSoDs, so no crash dumps. Let me know if I've missed something or if anyone has more suggestions. Thanks for your help!
In the device manager, disable both your network driver and wireless driver. Reboot and test. If it is good, you need to update those drivers. Most likely wireless one would be the problem.
michaelij

Post by michaelij »

Hello torrentg, thanks for your help! I tried disabling all LAN and WLAN drivers and performance increased slightly, but still got a crash and after a few tries a BSoD. I also checked to make sure the versions were the latest too.

File Name: 122911-24710-01.dmp
Crash Time: 12/29/2011 12:28:36 AM
Bug Check String: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code: 0x0000003b
Parameter 1: 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2: fffff880`0c880cc5
Parameter 3: fffff880`0b458b00
Parameter 4: 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver: Motufwa64.sys
Caused By Address: Motufwa64.sys+18cc5
Processor: x64
Crash Address: ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40
Full Address: E:\Crash Dumps\122911-24710-01.dmp
Processor Count: 4
Major Version: 15
Minor Version: 7601
Dump File Size: 291,480

This is the only BSoD I've had since installing the Ultralite drivers, let me know if need any other info.

I did get it to enumerate via firewire, apperently it needs to be manually set to firewire on the device and the USB cable needs to be completely removed - it was detecting the USB cable even though it was disconnected on the PC end.

I also tried opening a virtual instrument, and the drivers are not crashing, but am getting clicks and pops. Similar to what I was seeing with USB, but a little better. It's only completely crashing in the DAW. Thanks again for you help!
michaelij

Post by michaelij »

I went back and started disabling all non-essential drivers and closed all non-essential tasks. I was getting the random squeaks and audio drop out. I switched back to legacy drivers with everything disabled and the drop-outs stopped. I'm only getting a pop or 2 a second. I started enabling drivers and my DAW crashed after turning on the WLAN. I'm guessing the magial configuration for me is legacy with no WLAN. Getting close, just have to figure out the popping and I'll be set.
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

@michaelij - Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump folder

Copy the file(s) in there to any other folder. Zip or rar the files then upload the zip or rar to http://www.Megaupload.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paste a link here to the Megaupload you've received and I will have a look at it.
michaelij

Post by michaelij »

torrentg - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EJXF11PJ

Also, I can almost get the pops cleaned up at around 48k @ 512 samples per buffer, but crashes at higher sampling rates.
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

@michaelij

Quite a few problems, but you have me on your side. :)

1) Download, install then run Ccleaner to clean your system of junk. This program is beyond excellent and no matter skill level, will never harm anything whatsoever:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Use it to clean files, then use it again to clean the registry.

2) This ancient CD drive related driver will crash the heck out your system and has:

PxHlpa64 PxHlpa64.sys Mon Dec 10 18:49:01 2007

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete it.

Reboot
and run this from Microsoft to delete upper and lower filters to enable your CD/DVD drive to work again:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3) This ancient Adobe driver is useless and causes issues, so get rid of it.
Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete it.

adfs adfs.SYS Mon Nov 03 11:48:14 2008

Reboot again.

4) Either update or uninstall your ancient Fujitsu System Extension Utility.
The choice is yours, but one of the two must be done:

FUJ02E3 FUJ02E3.sys Wed Nov 01 06:54:39 2006
FUJ02B1 FUJ02B1.sys Wed Nov 01 05:50:43 2006

5) Update your NVIDIA video driver from the laptop manufacturer's website, or if desktop, from NVIDIA.com instead:

nvBridge nvBridge.kmd Fri Nov 13 04:59:02 2009

6) Update your Atheros-based wireless driver:

athrx athrx.sys Fri Nov 06 15:56:02 2009

http://www.atheros.cz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look in the device manager for your exact type to download/install.

7) Update the ancient O2Micro card reader driver:

o2sdgx64 o2sdgx64.sys Thu Jul 16 03:54:02 2009

You can probably find this at laptop manufacturer's site, or O2Micro's site itself.

8) Make sure all drivers you download/install are x64, 64 bit.

9) I don't see a MOTU driver installed right now, so visit MOTU.com and download/install the latest driver version.

I see other problems that I am not thrilled about, but the above should set you all well to a perfectly operating machine.

If you have any questions/problems, simply ask and/or post new crash dumps.

Remember though, that CCleaner above will delete them so don't use that if you want to upload a dump. Use after.

Good luck and enjoy.
michaelij

Post by michaelij »

Yeah... that's a list. I've had to install all kinds of crazy stuff for school, and I'm hoping I can make it through one more year before a fresh install. I did what I could from the list. I had checked my drivers from the Fujitsu web site when I was trouble shooting, and I had assumed their driver list was the latest and greatest, but it looks like Fujitsu has some out-of-date drivers. On the bright side, it looks so far after about 10 minutes of audio playback, no pops with USB.

Here's what I was able to do:

1) ccleaner - ran it
2) DVD driver - uninstalled and ran the microsoft utility
3) adobe driver - gone
4) Fujitsu system extension utility - They were up to date, so I uninstalled and deleted the drivers, now I have two unknown devices. I'm not sure what they are - would you recommend leaving them or re-installing?
5) nVidia video drivers - found more current drivers on the nVidia website.
6) Atheros WLAN driver - found more current drivers from the site you recommended and installed
7) o2micro SD card reader drivers - up to date according to Fujitsu and I couldn't find drivers on the o2micro site - let me know if you have any suggestions
8) all driver were 64 bit
9) The MOTU drivers were installed on 12/25 and I included all the minidump files including one from before the MOTU drivers and they're the ones from MOTU's website.

Thanks for your help - I'm going to put some more audio through it and see if it's really fixed.
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

Awesome! Here's to continued success.

Honestly, you're in a much better position now than even a clean install will make it.

As for a fitting quote here: "If it ain't broken..."

But if it is, let me know and we'll make it happen well.

As for the unknown devices, if everything is functioning well otherwise and you have lost no apparent abilities to do things, I would simply disable them in the device manager.

If you did lose any important functionality, then re-install but be aware of any problems that may resurface from it.