MOTU AUDIO EXPRESS - Adjusting the volume, please help!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Giannis81s
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Giannis81s »

I bought the Audio Express sound card today and I'm very confused about how it works... Apart from some output issues that I just resolved myself, I have the very silly and simple question about how to adjust the Main Volume from the soundcard... All I have managed so far is to adjust the headphones volume. No luck with the knobs on the soundcard so far, and even if CueFX software shows Main 1-2 Output playing, adjusting or muting the fader has no effect. Could someone please describe how you can adjust the volume in simple steps?
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU AUDIO EXPRESS - Adjusting the volume, please help!

Post by torrentg »

On my Motu Traveler, I connect a cable from the S/PDIF out directly to the SPID/F in.

Then I set Windows to have the S/PDIF as the default playback device.

My inputs are on Bus 1 mix of the MOTU Cuemix, with the output to S/PDIF. (The S/PDIF input is muted on this bus but not the next bus 2. If it wasn't, you'd get an unwanted doubling of the sound.)

Then my Bus 2 mix outputs to Analog 1-2.

This way, all Windows sounds are included in your main mix. Now, you can use the Windows slider for the total volume in System Notification Area (near the clock).

Hope this helps somewhat.
Last edited by torrentg on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Giannis81s

Post by Giannis81s »

Thank you for your help! I mean it! But this unfortunately doesn't help at all... My problem is that I can't control the sound output from the buttons on the soundcard or the fader in CueFX... When I adjust the output sound from the soundcard buttons (as described in the manual) and restart CueFX, then the fader has moved there as well, but with absolutely no effect to the sound level. The only way I can adjust the sound is from the Windows Mixer, but this is hardly convenient...

Is there a serious problem with this sound card? Could someone using Audio Express help?
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

There is a firmware update for the unit on the MOTU downloads page that may address the issue you're having.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
Giannis81s

Post by Giannis81s »

Thank you for your reply! Just updated it and no luck at all with the problem! Also used USB instead of Firewire but no luck too... CueFX repsonds to the changes of volume by the knobs, but the sound level doesn't change. Even if i turn the sound all the way up or all the way down. In short: they don't work! :banghead:
Giannis81s

Post by Giannis81s »

As you can see, I've turned down Main 1-2 output all the way down using the knobs of the soundcard and CueFX fader went all the way down too... But the volume level (blue) takes no notice about all that!
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

If you set the Windows default device to the Audio Express Main 1-2 outs, does the Windows volume control in the system tray work?

To TorrentG: The Audio Express doesn't have a configurable monitor section like other MOTU interfaces. Several Mac users have had similar complaints, so maybe an issue with Windows also.
Giannis81s

Post by Giannis81s »

Yes, like I have said, I can control the output only by the Windows Volume Mixer, but that is hardly convenient. I mean, a soundcard with the volume knobs not working can't be a functional soundcard, right? For the additional reason that Audio Express claims to function as a standalone mixer without being connected to a PC... Apart from that, the sound level is really loud! I have to move the fader in Windows Volume Mixer almost all the way down, and I've already set my M-Audio BX8a monitors to only one quarter of their maximum output!

I hope all this has a very simple solution, because it really is outrageous!
Giannis81s

Post by Giannis81s »

Now that I have connected my guitar to the Mic/Instr. ports 1 and 2 i find that I can only control this input sound from the soundcard and the CueFX software... So what do I have to do to also control the overall system sound (mp3s, system sounds, whatever)?
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

I guess you would have to create some type of workaround like set a different default audio output from the computer (built-in or SPDIF, etc) and physically connect that to an input pair on the Audio Express.
mrbillet
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mrbillet »

M Audio bx-a monitors are 130watts each. If you are using these as near-field monitors then it's not surprising you have to turn them way down. If you regularly have to turn your amps down below 2 o'clock, they are overpowered. Doesn't solve your problem but keep it in mind when choosing monitors.

I bought the same monitors as well before really thinking about how much power I was putting in front of my face. I have to keep them turned way down too so I don't blow my ears out.

-ian
MacBookPro 1.83GHz Core Duo, 2G RAM.
OSX 10.6.8
DP 5.13
MOTU 828
Tascam cassette 4trk
Giannis81s

Post by Giannis81s »

NazRat wrote:I guess you would have to create some type of workaround like set a different default audio output from the computer (built-in or SPDIF, etc) and physically connect that to an input pair on the Audio Express.
Naturally all system sounds are processed by the sound card, so I guess that they should be controlled by the soundcard somehow.. After all, the output signal includes both system sound and the sound from the inputs... I used to have an M-Audio Fast Track Pro until now... All so functional, it was a shame they could't write decent drivers fot Win 7 and I had to buy another!
mrbillet wrote:M Audio bx-a monitors are 130watts each. If you are using these as near-field monitors then it's not surprising you have to turn them way down. If you regularly have to turn your amps down below 2 o'clock, they are overpowered. Doesn't solve your problem but keep it in mind when choosing monitors.

I bought the same monitors as well before really thinking about how much power I was putting in front of my face. I have to keep them turned way down too so I don't blow my ears out.

-ian
With my previous Fast Track Pro soundcard I had these monitors set at full or 3/4 output! :) The difference is enormous, perhaps Audio Express works better and sends mor dBs, I don't know!
keith1

Post by keith1 »

Hi,

I am using Windows 7 in 32bit mode with MOTU Audio Express

Exactly the same problem with my Motu Audio Express.
one week it actually worked!
BUT, I could only use the trim controls from Cue FX and the master knob from the soundcard itself.
All of it in USB mode. In Firewire mode, none of the buttons worked and the soundcard couldn't be even installed.

then it happened..

After one week:
- the Cue FX doesn't respond to any controls (not even Trim)
- the Knobs from the soundcard are not responding
- the Soundcard has the volume at 100% which is almost damaging my ears, speakers, mood, frequencies and so on
- the soundcard is not recognized by usual audio software like Winamp but it still works in ASIO mode with music production software.

You are still able to reduce the volume in the software, but working @ -20db is just not the right way!

Do you have any solution to this?

p.s.: I did the firmware update and also downloaded the latest drivers and reinstalled them. Nothing happened, the same!

Adrian
mrbillet
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mrbillet »

Giannis81s wrote: With my previous Fast Track Pro soundcard I had these monitors set at full or 3/4 output! :) The difference is enormous, perhaps Audio Express works better and sends mor dBs, I don't know!
Fair enough. If there's a bug then it should be fixed. I hope they do. I also hope they make a second 1/4" mic input available for x/y pattern stereo recording. That's the main reason I haven't obtained an Audio Express. It's otherwise perfect for simple, space saving recordings; minus the volume bug of course.

-Ian
MacBookPro 1.83GHz Core Duo, 2G RAM.
OSX 10.6.8
DP 5.13
MOTU 828
Tascam cassette 4trk
Paul1024

Post by Paul1024 »

The main out fader in CueMix FX is for adjusting the local mix of the box (local inputs), not audio from computer. To adjust the overall main volume, press the main knob so the +main LED is lit. Then the Phones Volume knob will adjust the main volume also. There are a few modes of this such as Phones Only, Phones plus Main, and Just Main.

--P