New Driver Issue with MTP AV USB in XP

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
jian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

New Driver Issue with MTP AV USB in XP

Post by jian »

I just recently downloaded the new 4.0.4.6150 driver form my 828 MK3, 8 PRE and MTP AV USB. I am running Win XP Pro SP2. Everything went smooth with the 2 audio interfaces but not so good for the MTP...now Clockworks does not recognize it whatsoever. I could still send Base Setups changes from Clockworks to MTP, but I cannot see anything in Routing Tab and all of the prefrences have changed. Also, 2.0.1 is not listed in Clockworks title. Luckly I was able to revert to Driver 4.0.4.3553, but now I have to run the 828 & 8 pre with older driver. I called Motu tech and was told to update my video card driver or adjust the resolution. I tried both recommendations and neither worked. I called back and was told that Clockworks and XP have known issues and that he will pass this on to the Development Team. If this is such an issue, how come I have not heard anyone eles with this problem? Do most people now use WIN 7 or Vista? Has anyone else had this issue? Can you think of any soltions to this issue? I have an older 128MB on board Intel video card. Would a card upgrade help? Thanks for your input.
n2mpujack

Re: New Driver Issue with MTP AV USB in XP

Post by n2mpujack »

Did you disconnect and then reconnect the MTP when you did the driver update like the readme says to do? That's often the reason install fail on Windows machines. Then again Clockworks on the pc has never been all that great. I mean there's features that seem to be missing that the manual says should be there like being able to name the I/O ports. I'm on XP sp3.
jian

Post by jian »

Thanks for your response Jack...yes, i followed the installation steps in the read me file. I disconnected the MTP AV USB,uninstalled the old rivers, rebooted, reinstalled the new driver, rebooted, and reconnected MTP AV USB and then installed new driver. I tried this several times and achieved the same results (Clockworks does not recognize MTP AV USB, nothing appears on "Routings" tab) I re-installed the older driver the exact same way and each time Clockworks recognized the MTP AV USB with old driver 4.0.4.3553. Jack, do you have the most recent driver (4.0.4.6150) installed for your MTP AV USB? If so what kind of video card do you have on your system?

I am running XP SP2... I am thinking either I need to update XP to SP3 or I need to upgrade my video card. Any thoughts?

Thanks again

J
n2mpujack

Post by n2mpujack »

jian wrote:Thanks for your response Jack...yes, i followed the installation steps in the read me file. I disconnected the MTP AV USB,uninstalled the old rivers, rebooted, reinstalled the new driver, rebooted, and reconnected MTP AV USB and then installed new driver. I tried this several times and achieved the same results (Clockworks does not recognize MTP AV USB, nothing appears on "Routings" tab) I re-installed the older driver the exact same way and each time Clockworks recognized the MTP AV USB with old driver 4.0.4.3553. Jack, do you have the most recent driver (4.0.4.6150) installed for your MTP AV USB? If so what kind of video card do you have on your system?

I am running XP SP2... I am thinking either I need to update XP to SP3 or I need to upgrade my video card. Any thoughts?

Thanks again

J
Driver name and version number I run: MOTU USB MIDI (WDM) 2.51 which is found on the drivers download page for Windows XP 32 bit. The other driver on that page is USB MIDI Driver Installer for Windows which is at version 4.0.42114. That driver you are running (I figured it out from the version number and looked at the download page for USB/FW drivers) - the download page says it's an audio driver but the readme says it's for both audio and MIDI. I don't run a MOTU audio interface so I don't need that driver. Try running the separate MIDI driver that I run. You'll find it at: http://www.motu.com/download/download_m ... duct_id=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; try that or run the combo driver for audio & MIDI that's on the same page. Unless there's some real reason to run the latest driver then don't - use the older one that you know works.

Video card shouldn't have anything to do with this problem. In either case my card is an onboard card (I run Sonar 8.3.1 on a Toshiba Satellite 1955 laptop with a 2.53 GHz Pentium 4 cpu and 1 gig ram) and it's an nVidia Geforce G0 440. You could also try updating to sp3 on XP. MOTU stuff and XP can peacefully coexist.
jian

Post by jian »

My main problem is that i cannot update my 828 MK3 to the latest driver without updating my MIDI drivers to the latest driver. As you mentioned the Audio Installers update both audio and MIDI drivers at the same time. I have tried to update only the audio driver several times, but no luck. I have also tried to roll back the MIDI drivers, but no luck either. Motu tech told me that their is no way of updating audio driver while using old MIDI driver at the same time. I am assuming this kind of makes sense because the 828 MK3 has midiports and requires a MIDI driver. I would prefer to update to the new driver to get some newly added features in CueMix FX. Plus, I read that the new drivers allow daisy chaining of multiple audio interfaces, in my case 828MK3 and 8Pre. I have tested this and it appears to actully work! Downside is that I cannot use Clockworks with my MTP.

I am a little hesitant to update to SP3 because I do not want to loose any of the settings I currently have on computer. My 828 is working flawlessly. Do you know if their is a way to update to SP3 and save my current settings?

I definatly agree with you when you say XP can coexist with Motu. I have had very few issue with Motu hardware in the last few years. Especially since I updated my Firewire Card to a brand that Motu recomends. I guess I will have to wait paitently for the next update.

Thanks again for your help

J
n2mpujack

Post by n2mpujack »

jian wrote:My main problem is that i cannot update my 828 MK3 to the latest driver without updating my MIDI drivers to the latest driver. As you mentioned the Audio Installers update both audio and MIDI drivers at the same time. I have tried to update only the audio driver several times, but no luck. I have also tried to roll back the MIDI drivers, but no luck either. Motu tech told me that their is no way of updating audio driver while using old MIDI driver at the same time. I am assuming this kind of makes sense because the 828 MK3 has midiports and requires a MIDI driver. I would prefer to update to the new driver to get some newly added features in CueMix FX. Plus, I read that the new drivers allow daisy chaining of multiple audio interfaces, in my case 828MK3 and 8Pre. I have tested this and it appears to actully work! Downside is that I cannot use Clockworks with my MTP.

I am a little hesitant to update to SP3 because I do not want to loose any of the settings I currently have on computer. My 828 is working flawlessly. Do you know if their is a way to update to SP3 and save my current settings?

I definatly agree with you when you say XP can coexist with Motu. I have had very few issue with Motu hardware in the last few years. Especially since I updated my Firewire Card to a brand that Motu recomends. I guess I will have to wait paitently for the next update.

Thanks again for your help

J
When you say settings I'm guessing you're talking about for the MTP and your audio interfaces. You won't lose any settings updating to sp3.
cem akkan

Post by cem akkan »

Hi Jian,

I have now the same problem like you had a while ago. I am also on xp pro sp2 and with my MTP AV on the clockworks routing tab nothing is shown. Did you solve your problem? If yes, could you please help me. Thanks for your time.

Cem
jian

Post by jian »

hey Cem:
Sorry for my late response. I hope you got your diver issues sorted out. In case you have not, I have bad news...I still havn't either, at least not with the latest driver (at the time was 4.0.4.6150) I spoke to motu tech support and set up a teck link. Still no response with the tech link. I was able to speak to someone at motu who told me that they are aware that problems exist with Clockworks and XP. My solution was to keep the old driver 4.0.4.3553 all my units (828MK3, 8PRE, MTP AV USB and MTP AV.)

I am hoping that the new driver just released in August will adress these issues. I am not looking forward to installing the new drivers becuase I always end up spending way too much time trying to get my system to run properly again. I will try anyway and hopefully they fixed all the issues I have been having.