MIDI express XT factory presets or custom

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
ThinAirDesigns
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MIDI express XT factory presets or custom

Post by ThinAirDesigns »

Hi Y'all. New MIDI user here struggling a bit.

I record with a Roland 2480 and am working on connecting a Windows XP PC running a Reaper MIDI sequencer, a Kurzweil PC3 keyboard and Roland Vdrums. I'm having trouble figuring out if I can use one of the factory presets on the express XT or if I need to create something custom.

The inputs/outputs are as follows:
1 = 2480 DAW
2 = Vdrums
3 = PC3 keys

I am slaving the Reaper sequencer to the Roland so I can play my MIDI tracks along with it during mixdown. The 2480 outputs MTC as it's sync signal.

Here are my current behaviors:

Using the "direct" factory preset, I can slave the sequencer to the 2480 DAW and along with my audio tracks, play MIDI files through the keys/drums just fine. No timing issues -- all good. Problem is I can't get any MIDI data *back* to the sequencer to record.

Using the "Sequencer 30fps" factor preset I can record MIDI data in Reaper and I can also play the MIDI back via the sequencer, but I can't slave the sequencer to the 2480.

Reading in the manual it appears that the "Sequencer 30fps" setting is for SMPTE timing rather than MTC. Is that the reason that I can't get the sequencer to slave to the 2480? If so, how in a user defined preset can I get the same behavior but with MTC?

I have Clockworks installed and have dug around it a bit, but before I go mucking around too deep I just need to now if I'm on the right path or if I've got some other issue that I'm screwing up.

Thanks so much for any help -- I know you all have better things to do than help the noobs and it's greatly appreciated when you do.

Thanks
JB
ThinAirDesigns
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MIDI express XT factory presets or custom

Post by ThinAirDesigns »

Sorry gang -- not sure why the model name of the sequencer that I'm using would be censored like that on this forum, but if it's important information (likely not), it's made by Cockos (now there is word that might also get censored), and think of the black robed deathly character with the scythe -- the Grim Reaper and I think you'll figure it out.

Thanks again.
JB
ComposerDan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI express XT factory presets or custom

Post by ComposerDan »

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having similar issues trying to get my DP to sync with my 2480. I would love to hear how you did it if you see this message. I used to know how to do it along time ago but I've been away from it so long I can't remember.

Thanks

Dan :(