Massive volume jump with 8pre

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
nickportus
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Massive volume jump with 8pre

Post by nickportus »

Hi, sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search and couldn't find anyone with the same problem.

I'm also pretty new to this stuff too so apologies if I miss anything out.

I have an 8pre running on Windows 7 64bit. I'm running Sonar 8.5PE, Reason 4, and FL Studio and I'm having the same issue in each of them.

Basically, the unit runs fine for a few minutes, until I get a series of pops in the outputs (both headphone and main outs), then immediately after the gain just goes through the roof. I can't do anything about it on Cuemix, the only way I can get a working level is to reduce the output level on Sonar/Reason etc to almost nothing.

I can't see what's causing this to happen. I have the latest firmware and firewire drivers, and have changed to the legacy version (as I was getting the buzzing noise like many others)

Any ideas?

Cheers
vcshishya

Re: Massive volume jump with 8pre

Post by vcshishya »

I just bought an 8pre, had the same massive volume thing, but since I had just bought it from Sweetwater, they replaced it. I am getting clicking with my new replacement. Maybe these things are unstable overall?
Svendheim

Post by Svendheim »

My experience:

Anything but Windows XP or Mac OS is totally unusable for my Motu device. In XP and OSX the 8pre works like a charm, but in Vista/7 I get pops, crackles, massive volume thing and white noise all of the time.

I'm extremely disappointed with MOTU's products and I urge all prospective buyers who use Windows to search for a different brand.
paddykahn

Post by paddykahn »

I'm having the same problem with a 64bit Windows 7 setup, however when i simply switch the clock from internal to SMPTE (without configuring smpte or really doing anything at all) this issue stops happening. Instead, the interface randomly (somewhat rarely) cuts out and the 44.1 light on the hardware blinks for a few moments. Sometimes it resolves itself in seconds, sometimes i need to restart the unit, sometimes somewhere inbetween. Any suggestions? I'm going to see if the MOTU tech people can solve this as soon as they're back from xmas vacation
rodrigosarmiento
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by rodrigosarmiento »

I have this same problem (the massive jump when turning "too fast" the volume knob) on an iMac running OSX... Did you manage to get this solved?
Butterylicious
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Butterylicious »

I had this same problem. Swapped out the volume encoder and all is right in the world. The encoder is a standard footprint, 12mm 24PPR with switch. I put in a 12PPR because it's what I had on hand. It turns 1/2 speed and I like it.