MTPAV Parallel and Windows XP

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
jazzr
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MTPAV Parallel and Windows XP

Post by jazzr »

Musicdoctor,
Thanks. Too bad the 64-bit driver can't be located. Let me know if you find it.
aoresteen
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by aoresteen »

I have a MIDI Timepiece AV Parallel and it worksin Windows XP SP3 32bit.

The MOTU parallel driver will NOT work correctly with Roland's Serial MIDI driver for XP. I ended up yanking the Roland driver out - all is well now.
Steve Fogal

Post by Steve Fogal »

Ok...it's now time passed on into March 20th 2013... if anyone is paying any attention here I have a problem with a Motue MTP AV Timepiece 'Parallel' unit I bought used from ebay. 1st off I'm getting funny charactors on it's front display ... things like "WETUT5$$$".(see my other thread in the forum)...

But the main reason I'm chiming in here is that I can't seem to get my computer to recognise this thing...computer is my older DAW machine which is fully functional. AMD CPU, ASUS A7V266-E mobo & has a parallel port on the back plate.
After fooling around with 3 sets of instructions, from Motu's, from SweetWater site.of how to install, and now this thread...no luck. After some trial & error and yhe driver saying it's not for this device - but it's the same exact driver from this thread, the dame I found on my own & the same from Motu tech support gave me when I asked...all for the timepieve AV & for parallel included.
Finally it 'seemed' to install, but in Device Manaagers System Devices...and not listed in Ports aLTP1 .. not Motu listed there I mean. Nit liisted in Sound, Video etc either as I would have thought.
The motu doesn't show up in my DAW program either as a device...?
Steve Fogal

Post by Steve Fogal »

UPDATE*** ...Though I DO still have that strange display issue...

I believe I finally got the drivers to properly install. Turns out it really wasn't installed as I had thought. I was fooling around & I don't know if this makes any difference, but before, I right-clicked the little blue computer icon and pressed open & nothing...then was doing everything 'else' under the sun..by chance I 'double-left-clicked' the blue computer icon (what installed)! I had thought something else was the install. Well, that installed ClockWorks anyway...and this made the difference for any real indication...previously, all I could see was MOTU in my System Devices area...though that alone didn't give me access from anything to the MOTU.
So dunno..maybe it's TWO things needed to be installed...? ClockWorks AND a driver...unless that IS the driver.
Steve Fogal

Post by Steve Fogal »

*** Another UPDATE***

It's March 17th 2016 now lol. But for the archives...

As last said I was able to get my MTP AV parallel unit connected to that Win XP 32 bit PC which had a parallel port with a driver that opens clockworks. Though with my newer PC's, I never could get it connected as those motherboards are without a native parallel port, and a PCI to parallel port adapter I tried by StarTech didn't work.

So basically, I've been using my MTP AV with just one of it's MIDI out's into my sound cards MIDI in. EASY, and it works fine that way. I now also have the USB version of the MTP AV too. I liked using just it's MIDI with the parallel, so I even use the parallel & USB versions that way too.

Funny, I've never even attempted to use the USB to any of my computers! Maybe one of these days I should try it.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

You can daisy-chain the parallel into the USB with a serial cable.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Steve Fogal

Post by Steve Fogal »

Right, and I've read about ganging a parallel & USB unit together way back, but have never attempted.

I had also read 'something' about using an MTP AV between two computers, but I'd have to research that again. But wondering is ganging a USB & parallel together, will also work between two computers? And, if THAT's possible, is it then possible to share the Motu set up between more than two computers?

In addition, I'm setting up a dedicated Word Clocking configuration among several pieces of gear, including 4 PC's, a couple of MIDI sound modules, and wondering if I should also send word clock to my Motu MTP AV's as well?
aanon

Post by aanon »

Now late 2018...

I'm trying to install the MOTU MTP AV parallel on my Vista 32 bit computer, which has an inbuilt parallel port. I was so happy to find instructions given by Musicdoctor above in this thread, but unfortunately they don't see to be working for me so far.

When I get to the step of adding a hardware device and manually selecting the .inf file (motupar.inf), I get an error:

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32-bit systems."

Some background:

- I have the MOTU MTP AV parallel model, firmware 1.2.0
- I have it switched to PC mode (as opposed to MAC) on the front panel
- I have been into BIOS and set my printer port mode (there are only 3 options: "one way", "bi-directional" and "EPP & ECP"...I've tried all of them with the same outcome)
- I've made the setting in device manager for the parallel port to "Use any interrupt assigned to the port" and saved it
- I am using the inf file from the SETUPMIDI_2.51 download, as recommended above.

If there is anyone out there who still knows how to get these MTP AV parallel models going with Vista, I'd really appreciate any advice you might be able to offer.

Aanon
RobsonLuis

Post by RobsonLuis »

I would like to ask a question: I recently purchased an MTP AV (parallel, not USB). The device came without the parallel cable, and I would like to mount this cable myself. Does anyone know the pinout of it, to connect to a parallel PC port (DB25-DB25)?

Thanks in advance for any help!