Motu Ultralite MK3 No Sound / High Pitch Noise VIDEO!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
comradec
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Motu Ultralite MK3 No Sound / High Pitch Noise VIDEO!

Post by comradec »

Thanks for your contribution. The thing is, though, the Ultralite-mk3 appears to be absolutely fine when operated in a Windows XP SP3 system on my computer. It's only with Vista that I have this problem. Therefore, rolling back certain drivers to their XP SP1 versions can't be done.

I can understand that some issues might arise with a long-standing hardware product when change are introduced via updates to Windows within the lifetime of a particular operating system. But in the case of the Ultralite-mk3 we're talking about a brand new product released a year and a half after Vista came out. It ought to be compatible, especially as MOTU advertise it as such.
Ableton Live 7, Sampler, Session Drums; NI Kontakt 3; MusicLab RealGuitar 2, RealStrat; Sony Sound Forge 9.

Red Submarine desktop: Intel E6600 @ 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM; ATI Radeon X1050; MS Windows XP and Vista dual-boot; Phonic Helix Board 12 FireWire MkII; Alesis Fusion 6HD, ControlPad; Roland Fantom G6; Edirol PCR-500; Lexicon MX200; Samson C-com16, C-control, Resolv 50a.

Samsung R70 laptop: Intel T7100 @ 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM; NVIDIA NB8M-GS; MS Windows Vista; Edirol UA-1EX; Korg nanoKEY, nanoKONTROL.
faxe-system

Post by faxe-system »

Okay here I am again with three points.

1.) I am also using the Ultralite MK3 on a selfbuilt, three years old PC. AMD64 2,4 Ghz, 1GB RAM, Windows XP SP3. Here I have not one single drop out. The Firewire Chipset is from VIA. No problems with recognising the Motu. But if I install the SAME Windows XP SP3 version on the laptop... no recognition of the Motu with standart drivers, drop out/noise. The same is with Vista. No problem on the PC but problems on the Laptop. So it seems not to be a Windows problem but more to be a chipset or hardware problem.

2.) Reeper I uninstalled the old drivers and installed the updated drivers. But the Audio Console ist still saying the driver is 3.6.8.1369 and still a can't go lower than 128 samples. Any ideas?

3.) I need a very low latency since I'm using the Vestax VCI 100 as DJ controller and one really recognises a difference when using the fader at 128 samples and 64 samples. ;)
reeper

Post by reeper »

Last edited by reeper on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nerd info:Cubase 4.5.2. Xp x64. Asus p5q-e. 8gb ram
comradec

Post by comradec »

faxe-system wrote: I am also using the Ultralite MK3 on a selfbuilt, three years old PC. AMD64 2,4 Ghz, 1GB RAM, Windows XP SP3. Here I have not one single drop out. The Firewire Chipset is from VIA. No problems with recognising the Motu. But if I install the SAME Windows XP SP3 version on the laptop... no recognition of the Motu with standart drivers, drop out/noise. The same is with Vista. No problem on the PC but problems on the Laptop. So it seems not to be a Windows problem but more to be a chipset or hardware problem.
In my case at least, I don't think it can be a chipset or hardware problem because I'm getting completely different results from the same computer, depending on whether I'm using Vista or XP.

The Ultralite-mk3 works fine with my Windows XP SP3 installation but barely at all with my Vista SP1 installation.
Ableton Live 7, Sampler, Session Drums; NI Kontakt 3; MusicLab RealGuitar 2, RealStrat; Sony Sound Forge 9.

Red Submarine desktop: Intel E6600 @ 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM; ATI Radeon X1050; MS Windows XP and Vista dual-boot; Phonic Helix Board 12 FireWire MkII; Alesis Fusion 6HD, ControlPad; Roland Fantom G6; Edirol PCR-500; Lexicon MX200; Samson C-com16, C-control, Resolv 50a.

Samsung R70 laptop: Intel T7100 @ 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM; NVIDIA NB8M-GS; MS Windows Vista; Edirol UA-1EX; Korg nanoKEY, nanoKONTROL.
casedawg

Post by casedawg »

I'm having the same problem with the dropouts + high pitch noise. This is ridiculous and I'm going to have to return the unit if it isn't resolved soon. Anyone know if this issue is specific to the Mk3s, or are original Ultralites effected too?

I'm running an older self built system containing an Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton core), Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB (nForce2 chipset), 1GB RAM, Radeon 9700, 2x SATA HDDs, 1 IDE HDD, 1 IDE DVD Drive, Windows XP SP3. Every unneeded component is disabled in the BIOS. XP is optimized with all unnecessary drivers, services and programs disabled at startup.

My previous sound card was an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro. I experienced no dropouts or high pitched squeals whatsoever with it, whether I was using Live, listening to music, or watching a movie.

Originally I connected the Ultralite using the Audigy's firewire port (audigy sound drivers still disabled), and I experienced the dropouts + high pitched noise. After experimenting with different buffers and moving the Audigy around to make sure the firewire chipset wasn't sharing any IRQ I decided to purchase a new PCI firewire card. I purchased the SIIG NN-440012-S8, which uses a TI chipset and is one of the few firewire cards approved for use with Avid and ProTools setups. I removed and completely uninstalled the Audigy, then installed the SIIG card in a PCI slot that didn't result in shared IRQ for the firewire bus. Drops and high pitched noises still occur.

It appears that the severity of the drops and squeals has dropped since installing the SIIG card, but its hard to say for sure. One thing I have noticed is the drops are much more likely to occur when using the keyboard, especially after a period of no keyboard activity. The drops still occur whether listening to music in Foobar2000, watching a video in Media Player Classic, or producing music in Ableton Live.

The Ultralite "works" on my machine using either the MOTU drivers or Reapers'.

I don't have a wireless card, and the drops still occur when disabling the ethernet adapter in device manager.

Rolling the firewire drivers back to SP1 is the next thing on my list. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.
reeper

Post by reeper »

dude you are in a bad need of a clean (re)install.
nerd info:Cubase 4.5.2. Xp x64. Asus p5q-e. 8gb ram
casedawg

Post by casedawg »

Why do you say that? The system is well maintained and is as responsive as a new system. I'm willing to reformat and do a stripped down XP install, but I'd like to exhaust all other solutions first. Is there anything else to try?
faxe-system

Post by faxe-system »

Incredible! I got a reply to my tech request!

Here is a screenshot of the reponse.

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... nsema0.jpg

Here the answer as text.
State change from 'Unread' to 'In progress'
Hi Henry,

Reinstall the drivers with these specific directions.

Power off and disconnect your interface from your computer. Run the Add/Remove Program and uninstall the MOTU Drivers that are currently installed. Disable your internal sound card through the Devices Manager and make sure that your have disabled your Anti-Virus Software. Download the latest drivers from the MOTU website, unzip the archive with WinZip, and run the installation.

Turn off your computer, connect and power on your interface. Start up your computer and the Found New Hardware Wizard should show up. Follow the instructions to finish installing the drivers.
And I made a video again. Want to watch it till the end to get the answer if the problem is solved or did this sentence already give you a hint?
It didn't change anything at all. Just took me 45 minutes again for a fresh Vista install... now I'm creating a disk image to save me the hassle the next time.

VIDEO Number two!

http://www.vimeo.com/2179375
Mourning6
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Mourning6 »

I use a Motu Utralite Mk3 on a Win7 x64 setup and was having the same issue. I realize this thread is pretty old but this is still an issue with the motu devices so I'm sharing the solution that worked for me.

I found the solution for my setup on a random Ableton forum (I was looking everywhere and this was the only thing that went beyond reinstalling the drivers). Turns out my issue was that the cores of my quad core processor were "parking" which means turning off if they weren't being used. It was enough of a disruption that it would throw off the connection with the ultralite. This is an issue for Windows setups and by default windows has cores park pretty quickly to conserve power. I had my computer in high performance at all times with 100% usage on the processor but core parking isn't shown in the power settings by default (it's a separate function from processor usage). I used this freeware to turn off core parking and I haven't had the issue in the 48 hours since: https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

I used to have this issue 3 times per hour...

Hope that solves it for whoever finds there way here