Routing Main Mix to Multiple Outs on Ultralite

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Aerogroove
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Routing Main Mix to Multiple Outs on Ultralite

Post by Aerogroove »

I've recently switched over from an EMU 1820m. I had my main mix output to my monitors as well as a couple other devices, it was a breeze to configure in their "patchmix" console.

How can I route my main mix to main outs and analog outs 1,2,3, and 4?
majdid
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Routing Main Mix to Multiple Outs on Ultralite

Post by majdid »

Use busses, for example Bus1 to main out, bus 2 to analog out 1-2, ...hope that helps
Aerogroove

Post by Aerogroove »

I already have Bus 1 set to Main Outs, and Bus to set to Analog 1-2. But no sound is being passed through Bus 2, just 1.
Aerogroove

Post by Aerogroove »

Anyone have any solutions to how I can get multiple outputs of my main mix?
DannyRay

Post by DannyRay »

What do you use for a DAW?

I use Sonar 7 Producer... When I need to route the playback into a monitor mix I just insert a new bus in Sonar (label it or it gets confusing - my case "drummers mix". Send the output of the "drummers mix" bus to the desired headphone output pair (my case I'm using outputs: MOTU analog 3-4) / then on the master bus in Sonar (Main out) insert an effects send... Enable the send and route it's output to the new "drummers mix" bus you created... You should now beable to hear your Master bus (Main out) playback through the headphones... You'll have to adjust it's level in Sonar (not in the cuemix software!!!)... You'll still need to use the cuemix software to mix your live inputs as your tracking...

I'm not good at explaining things... It sounds much worse than it is... It's really super simple and once you get it, you'll understand that if you simply add in another bus and effects send, that you can easily send different levels to multiple mixes at the same time...

Let me know if you need any help getting this to work!! If you get stuck, I'll shoot you a phone number and I'll try to walk you through it when you're in front of your computer... I know how frustrating this stuff can be!! I just got my MOTU 896mk3 last week... I've dealt with almost 2 years of trying to get my presonus firestudio to work... No more though... 2 weeks ago I decided I'd finally had enough... I called Sweetwater and I bought the MOTU. I'm hoping it's going to be good to me... :-) Good luck!

Take care,

Danny Ray
DKeeler

Post by DKeeler »

As far as I can tell the only way to duplicate a mix on more than one output bus is to configure the bus with the same input conditions as the bus you are trying to route to it. Of course any changes you make to levels in your main mix you would have to duplicate on the other mix. The Ultralite MK3 is not actually a 10 input, 14 bus mixer as motu claims it is. It is in reality 7 separate Stereo, 10 input Mixers. Mixing to another bus output with your DAW software will work except this usually introduces latencies, and increases cpu load, and places higher bandwidth loading on the firewire interface and will likely increase the occurance of the motu drivers blue screening your computer!
merges

Post by merges »

furiousgreencloud

Post by furiousgreencloud »

Here is a simple, though clunky way to do this for 1 stereo channel. The idea is to get one of your daw channels considered as a input, because only inputs can be mix to any bus. btw RME gear lists DAW channels as completely re-routable channels.

Specifically, map the default output to the Digital OUT then connect you Digital OUT to Digital IN, with any RCA Cable. Then mix the digital IN channels as you like to any bus/mix.

Here are the steps:

In MOTU Audio Setup:
1. Set Default Stereo Output to: S/PDIF 1-2

On the Back of the MOTU Ultralite
2. Connect the RCA S/PDIF Connectors to each other with a single Male RCA Cable.

In CueMIX:
3. Mixes->Bus1: Unmute and Fade up the Dig 1-2 Channel

4. Mixes->Bus1: Direct Bus 1 to "Main Out"

do this (3.) for each bus you want your main out (eg. iTunes or DAW1&2 to appear on each bus)

Yes, MOTU routing sucks, but MOTU sound has character (Vintage EQ and Leveller Emulation), while RME is so clean it's clinical.

Much Love
- fgc

ps, Should would on MacOS and Windows
Brinkand
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Brinkand »

Thank you Merges and furiousgreencloud. I will try these options. It would be such a simple thing if the software was done right.

Other than this, I love my ultralite too.
thenetstriker

Post by thenetstriker »

furiousgreencloud wrote:Here is a simple, though clunky way to do this for 1 stereo channel. The idea is to get one of your daw channels considered as a input, because only inputs can be mix to any bus. btw RME gear lists DAW channels as completely re-routable channels.

Specifically, map the default output to the Digital OUT then connect you Digital OUT to Digital IN, with any RCA Cable. Then mix the digital IN channels as you like to any bus/mix.

Here are the steps:

In MOTU Audio Setup:
1. Set Default Stereo Output to: S/PDIF 1-2

On the Back of the MOTU Ultralite
2. Connect the RCA S/PDIF Connectors to each other with a single Male RCA Cable.

In CueMIX:
3. Mixes->Bus1: Unmute and Fade up the Dig 1-2 Channel

4. Mixes->Bus1: Direct Bus 1 to "Main Out"

do this (3.) for each bus you want your main out (eg. iTunes or DAW1&2 to appear on each bus)

Yes, MOTU routing sucks, but MOTU sound has character (Vintage EQ and Leveller Emulation), while RME is so clean it's clinical.

Much Love
- fgc

ps, Should would on MacOS and Windows
I just tried to route my audio to two output sources two and the method by connection the spdif's together was the only one that was working. Is this really the only possible way to do this at the moment using the Ultralite MK3?