FIX: Running Motu FW devices in XP SP2, SP3

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Mark S
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: FIX: Running Motu FW devices in XP SP2, SP3

Post by Mark S »

casedawg wrote:Can the 3.6.7.0 drivers be used with Mk3 units?
hee is my best guess:

it is my understanding the newer drivers have hardware calls to the dsp features of the mk III. This is one of the reasons pre mk III users experience double latency when compared to the older drivers like the 3.6.7.x.

I would suspect you can use them but you would lose some of the features the mk III has to offer. The worst that would happen is the old drivers not recognize the unit, similar to what happened when I added an 8pre to an even older driver.
tomb65

Post by tomb65 »

Hi folks,
Just to let you all know, I have a MOTU 828 original and had serious problems with audio spikes, stuttering audio etc, tried all sorts dofferent drivers, reinstalling XP etc, came across this and as a last resort before I had a MOTU bonfire, tried it, well you never know, after doing the first part, reallised I wasn't daisy chaining (only have 1) tried it out, well imagine my surprise that everything worked a treat, no stuttering, no audio spike just crystal clear audio, so thanks mate, you have really made my day, and everyone else who has problems, try this first (it's like when you lose your keys, they're always in the last place you look, so always look in the last place first) :-).
Thanks again mate
Tom
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

Glad it worked out for ya bud. One day I'll get around to editing the wording in the main post. It was originally a fix for daisy-chaining multiple 896s, and as other user responses kept flying in I began to realize that it was a fix for a great number of people who only use one Motu FW device.
Mike Rocha
http://www.mikerocha.ca
Custom ADK, Quad 3.0ghz, 4gig ram, Win7 64-bit, Motu 3.6.7.3 x64 drivers
Macbook Pro 13" touchbar, High Sierra, 73220 drivers
Motu 896 x 4
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

Some of these steps were edited to clarify some previous confusion. The updated steps are [1.4.1] and [1.4.2] and are described at the bottom of the original post.
Mike Rocha
Motu 896 x 4
acidrecords
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by acidrecords »

read this thread!!

it`s possible that you also have problems with pci-registers!!

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic ... #msg939234

i`ve had them and today i`ve found the source of it!!
problems with pci registers for my pci to pci bridge of my firewire expresscard.
it`s also possible that pci register settings are the source of problems from other people here.

i`ve also to contact motu about this... until now i was not able to.. sorry...
tracked the problem down 30min ago and my brain is completely :shock: :shock: at the moment
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

Back to MOTU hell I go.

As mentioned a couple of days ago I needed to restore/reinstall my system and followed my directions here point by point and could not duplicate my previous success.

Drivers install and both MOTUs launch up but I'm experiencing the sync issues with daisy chaining the two 896s.
Symptoms:
- major issue: second unit occasionally drops sync which interrupts the whole playback/recording system.
- minor issue: even if sync isn't lost I've noticed very small clicks/cracks in audio files that were recorded even in tiny sessions where I was only recording two tracks. The clicks are visible in the waveforms and were recorded with errors.

My setup is the same to that of the first post. I'm going to attempt fully updating the system from Windows Update. I'll report back. I'll make any progress public here.
Mike Rocha
Motu 896 x 4
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Hey all HELP ME OUT HERE. I need some users with these problems to chime it at the cake/hardware forum and relate your experience with these troubles.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1638370

Sign up is open and I'm sure others could use the info. I'm not getting it through well enough, I think.

ps, Good luck RR what a pisser!
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

acidrecords wrote:read this thread!!

it`s possible that you also have problems with pci-registers!!

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic ... #msg939234

i`ve had them and today i`ve found the source of it!!
problems with pci registers for my pci to pci bridge of my firewire expresscard.
it`s also possible that pci register settings are the source of problems from other people here.

i`ve also to contact motu about this... until now i was not able to.. sorry...
tracked the problem down 30min ago and my brain is completely :shock: :shock: at the moment
pci express cards are notorious for problems. I don't have pci express and that didn't seem to change things much. Still, I'll look at anything especially since I have an MSI mobo ;}
SoundFreak

Post by SoundFreak »

Hello TheRealRoach,

Have successfully updated 2 work station's of mine using your simple but fabulous solution as per 1st post of this thread.

Both setup are using a single 896HD and working wonderfully for the first time.

Many many many thanks for sharing your findings and putting in the time, RESPECT :!:

Driver 3.6.7.0 with 256 buffers
Windows XP Pro SP3 (fully updated)

Note : I even tried (for fun) to capture HDV video by daisy chaining my Cam, Yes daisy chaining a Video Camera through the second firewire port while the 896HD was playing out the cam's audio on the return line, not even a single dropped frame in the 1 hour footage during this test.
HDV has a sustained data rate of 25Mb and also the long firewire cable between the 896HD and the PC did not seem induce any dropouts, it looks like "your" fix has really opened up the pipeline ............... :mrgreen:

Edit: Now using version 3.6.7.4 with the suggested AVT drivers... even smoother :lol:
Last edited by SoundFreak on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Got this link for the 3.6.7.3 driver from someone on the Sonar forum. Get it while you can,

http://s3.amazonaws.com/motu/downloads/ ... .6.7.3.zip
nikbee

Post by nikbee »

hi

im having same issues here.. but i cant remove the sys files (1.4.1).. they just keep on resurrecting.

am i missing something?
nikbee

Post by nikbee »

pffffffttt. nevermind.. idiot
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

nikbee wrote:pffffffttt. nevermind.. idiot
yeah, they nest those files that keep coming back just to p you off.
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

The main fix, Post #1 has been updated for clarity. There are no ground-breakers in there, but I'll summarize what I have found:

Only step [1] (backdating to SP1 firewire bus host controllers) is required for as system that (in this order):
1. is a fresh install
2. is fully updated with service packs
3. is running 3.6.7.* drivers

Step [1] and [2] are required for SP2 systems. I've also included the link for the KB885222 hotfix to fix firewire bus speed. Again, this only applied to SP2.

For those of you who haven't fully updated to SP3, I highly recommend it. But be sure to backup and create restore point just in case.
Mike Rocha
Motu 896 x 4
VigilantSound

Post by VigilantSound »

casedawg wrote:
Can the 3.6.7.0 drivers be used with Mk3 units?

Nope