FIX: Running Motu FW devices in XP SP2, SP3

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
artright
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: FIX: Running Motu FW devices in XP SP2, SP3

Post by artright »

I just finished reading all the posting here and I must say that I'm impressed beypund words asto how all of you (except one) helped each other and with no part by MOTU's impressive supprt and/or tech people. It is just ashame that the machine is not at all help by MOTU for the massive amount of Window Users out there who are begging just for some common coutesey .

The one who should get a medal for all his input is Mr. Roach. Well done and you should be getting your certificate shortly in the mail (I was told this by MOTU) LOL .

I'm too tired but suffice to say "Congratulations on a job well done".

Most of the stuff I was reading seemed like HALthe Computer as he was losing it (The movie 2001 A Space Odessey)

Going to Sleep with a ton of morphine and methadone as I have MS .

Take some money out of petty cash and have a good time tonight.

ArtRiGhT
Gary
Mark S
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Mark S »

100+ to that!
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

OK,

I must be doing something wrong, because I have followed the directions in the first post to the letter, and my WinXP SP3 system is still telling me that "The file ohci1394.sys on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD is needed." even after I did the "Have Disk" and pointed it at the SP1 file that you included in the downloadable zip file. Any idea what else I need to do? This is driving me batty.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Jeff
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

There are a couple files that will keep wanting to re-appear and will result in the prompt you are getting. I'll have to search that machine for the folder they are in. (kind of back up and super secret back-up) I only had luck after I moved them off my hard drive entirely.

But in the meanwhile go to the '3rd party firewire driver' thread here and look at the instructions for installing the AVT drivers http://www.goavt.com/software.asp

They are easy to install and worked immediately for me on two machines with my two MOTU units It's far less work than the sp1 rollback, which works best only for single processor machines anyway.
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

Thanks, Mark. I'll try that later tonight and let you know!

Regards,
Jeff
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

No love at all with the AVT using it with my first generation Traveler via FW. Frick! :(

Is there a comprehensive way to make sure that everything dealing with the TI and Microsoft drivers is gone gone gone before installing AVT?

Thanks,
Jeff
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

Iceblade wrote:Is there a comprehensive way to make sure that everything dealing with the TI and Microsoft drivers is gone gone gone before installing AVT?
That shouldn't actually be necessary since there is an AVT utility that allows you to switch back and forth.
Mike Rocha
http://www.mikerocha.ca
Custom ADK, Quad 3.0ghz, 4gig ram, Win7 64-bit, Motu 3.6.7.3 x64 drivers
Macbook Pro 13" touchbar, High Sierra, 73220 drivers
Motu 896 x 4
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

Quick update.

I went back through the install process, used the AVT FW driver and rolled back the MOTU drivers to the 3.6.7.4 and now "knock on wood" it seems to be MUCH more stable. I have been playing the playlist of short clips that used to give the Traveler •••• fits and it has been playing for about 10 mins with nary a glitch, squeak or pop. I'm scared to say it, but perhaps this combo of things fixed it. THANKS for your help. I'm still using the 15' FW cable with this WinXP SP3 setup.
mcoyles

Post by mcoyles »

Nice to know the old tricks are still working...

Here's another stable link to the SP1 files for anyone that needs them... http://www.over-clock.com/marci/1394sp1.zip
L8rs...
Marci
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

SUCCESS! I now have ASIO support back and there IS a known issue with this, it's not a "sharing" issue. Thanks to Google and the Cakewalk forum for this info:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1424 ... 2&#1579251

After installing the driver... and then turning on the MOTU, Windows will need to finish loading the WDM/ASIO/GSIF/etc drivers for the unit. This is normal behavior (no matter what the manual might say )

If you reload the 3.6.7.4 drivers, you'll have to manually remove the (newer) "mfwaasio.drv" file from the Windows/System32 folder before installing them (the uninstall routine doesn't get rid of it... and it's not backwards compatible).

I uninstalled 3.6.7.4, rebooted. Removed the MOTU folder from Program Files and then removed the ASIO driver from windows/System32. Rebooted. Re-installed 3.6.7.4. Rebooted. Went through the Windows setup as it found my "new hardware" and TA-DA! I have everything back with hopefully fewer/no pops clicks and whistles.

Hope this helps someone else having issues.

Regards,
Jeff
retrograde

Post by retrograde »

[Deleted] Duplicated by following post
Last edited by retrograde on Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Room A - MacPro 2.66 (early 2x Intel Core2 Duo) - 12G ram, MOTU HD192, Lion 10.7.5, DP8.0 64 bit/StylusRMX/EZDrummer/Superior/GForce Tron/Kontakt 5/ other various plugs

Room B- PCAL Quad 3.0ghz, 16 gigs ram, Windows 7 Pro;
Cubase 8, MOTU 896; various plugs and instruments
retrograde

Post by retrograde »

More words of praise for TheRealRoach. We have finally successfully defeated the dreaded pops, clicks, stutters, and other trash we have been experiencing with XP SP3 drivers and the newer Motu drivers on our 896HD. Thank you many many times over.

Will we ever be able to use up to date Motu drivers? Has anyone dared to try the latest Motu firewire drivers (3.6.8.1410) with the SP1 driver fixes?

Geoff
Room A - MacPro 2.66 (early 2x Intel Core2 Duo) - 12G ram, MOTU HD192, Lion 10.7.5, DP8.0 64 bit/StylusRMX/EZDrummer/Superior/GForce Tron/Kontakt 5/ other various plugs

Room B- PCAL Quad 3.0ghz, 16 gigs ram, Windows 7 Pro;
Cubase 8, MOTU 896; various plugs and instruments
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

I wish I could say the same for my Traveler. Unfortunately, the dropouts and squeal are still here for me, though lessened in severity and rate of occurence, but still there way too often for my liking. What a pity that something that I had pinned all my hopes (and cash) on turned out to be such a POS. I'll do my part to see that no one I know ever purchases another piece of MOTU gear, EVER.

Bitter and not afraid to say it,
Jeff
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

retrograde wrote:Will we ever be able to use up to date Motu drivers? Has anyone dared to try the latest Motu firewire drivers (3.6.8.1410) with the SP1 driver fixes?
From my experience this is not an unusual situation with any hardware. Just take a quick read on the nvidia forums for this motherboard chipsets and video cards. Very rarely are people running the most up to date drivers. In fact, many of those gamer-gearhead custom mod the official drivers to improve performance. It's really amazing that anything works. It might be worth noting that I was having CPU/ASIO overloads as a result of crappy video card drivers. Who would have even thought the two to be interdependent?!? With this level of variability how is anything ever supposed to work?!

I have not tried 3.6.8.1410 yet since anything 3.6.8.* was a nightmare for me using the mk1/first generation 896s. I likely won't update any drivers or hardware for the next few years. Any benefits of the newest drivers seem to be geared toward enhancing the onboard Cuemix/DSP capabilities, none of which my 896's have thankfully.
Mike Rocha
Motu 896 x 4
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

Iceblade wrote:I wish I could say the same for my Traveler. Unfortunately, the dropouts and squeal are still here for me, though lessened in severity and rate of occurence, but still there way too often for my liking. What a pity that something that I had pinned all my hopes (and cash) on turned out to be such a POS. I'll do my part to see that no one I know ever purchases another piece of MOTU gear, EVER.

Bitter and not afraid to say it,
Jeff
Iceblade, I thought your system was working now!? I guess not? If you haven't incinerated it yet you can start a new thread and see if we can fix it.
Mike Rocha
Motu 896 x 4