828 MKII USB,pops,squeals WORKAROUND-READ ENTIRE THREAD!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
thehowler
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Motu 828 MKII USB, pops, squeals fixed-READ ENTIRE THREAD!

Post by thehowler »

I do agree that the core problem lies in the fact that the flaw is within the MOTU drivers as plenty of other audio interfaces work seamlessly with Windows.

However, with at least the last two releases of the MOTU Windows drivers not fixing the problem, and no new drivers in sight, how else do you propose people work around this problem?

The only way I have found is with the standard HAL which you concur does alleviate the problem. So if you know of any other readily-accessible MOTU drivers or another solution, we're all ears...

If you could point us to the correct older drivers, I will test and confirm.
Last edited by thehowler on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
disco

Re: Motu 828 MKII USB, pops, squeals fixed-READ ENTIRE THREAD!

Post by disco »

Hi thehowler,

I'm glad you agree the flaw is in the driver. No offense to yourself with my post, just a stab at MOTU really for letting this go on for so long :) I wish I did have a solution for everyone here, but I don't. I have looked for the older driver in this forum, but since they have changed the layout I can't seem to find it. Anyway, if you want to try it PM me and I'll email it to you (~16MB). As far as the standard PC hal layer goes, the reason I had to do that back in the day was to solve an issue with MIDI timing in Cubase. Ultimately the same thing I suppose as everything didn't get lumped onto IRQ9 with ACPI. Hopefully they are working on a fix for us all. I'm sure there are a lot of users who would feel uncomfortable having to try all this stuff just to get there audio interface to work correctly under Windows. Cheers :D
thehowler

Re: 828 MKII USB,pops,squeals WORKAROUND-READ ENTIRE THREAD!

Post by thehowler »

UPDATE:

After some assistance from "disco", I am currently trying a new PC build with an older version of the MOTU drivers.

I'll let you all know how I get on in due course
d-brane

Post by d-brane »

hi there

I succeed to have a better behavior using the MOTU 828 mkII USB.
So for the moment, it's possible to use it, apart an annoying click when a sound begins to be played (with wmp for example)
and that sometimes the sound disappears (I don't notice something special in the CPU usage of the task manager during this)

I installed a new USB card, but I think it has nothing to do with the current solution. I can currently reproduce the problem is I set up an external USB harddisk, I have both of them, with one of them it's ok, with the other, I loose the sound.
I should verify if it's due to the harddisk in particular or because they are two..

nevertheless, I still have the problem with the click and the sound disappearing,
using a different buffer size seems to change the "quality" of the click :wink:
I don't think I will handle to remove this problem, it was already there in a review of soundonsound in 2004
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul04/a ... 28mkii.htm

I try also to remove the ACPI thing directly following this (sorry infrench) http://www-etud.iro.umontreal.ca/~buist ... /acpi.html
Next step, buying a new harddisk, and start a new installation of windows XPsp2
thehowler

Post by thehowler »

Hey there, d-brane,

Before you do this, wait until tomorrow - I will have the results of the older MOTU drivers test that I mentioned earlier...

This method MIGHT make it so you can just downgrade the drivers. I need to finish my install and testing this evening.
thehowler

Post by thehowler »

So I finished basic testing of the older version of the MOTU drivers with a ACPI HAL (the default Windows XP install) and am pleased to report that it was successful. It is as stable as my previous non-ACPI build and I still don't have the annoying screeches and noises.

I am going to stress test it over the weekend, but feel free to try this for yourselves.

The driver I used it the FireWire/USB driver version 3.6.7.0.

You can get this from http://downloads.motu.com/firewire/MOTU ... .6.7.0.zip

Try it out and see if you have any success.

Many thanks to "disco" for the advice!
d-brane

Post by d-brane »

thanks I'll try this asap!
d-brane

Post by d-brane »

ok I tested that.. it seems my problems are not solved.
I still have clicks and dropping of signal when playing something (with wmp for example)
it's still sensitive to the excessive presence of USB devices
And with Live, even by freezing some tracks, I have pain to read a full session without (what I suppose to be) buffer errors.

however my computer is (apparently) best tuned for audio processing since I applied this
http://www.audioforums.com/resources/wi ... ation.html

if you have more ideas like this...
thehowler

Post by thehowler »

You definitely completely uninstalled the newer drivers before applying the older ones?
d-brane

Post by d-brane »

yes I did
disco

Post by disco »

For all you fans out there, here's an interesting one;

http://seanneville.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... ed-squeal/

Let me know your findings! I'm testing right now....

Cheers :D
SILVANOPARANA

Post by SILVANOPARANA »

Hello Friends. Please escuse me for my bad english language. I'm speak portuguese (Brazil).
The same problems related here. But possible interesting informations down:
I work with 2 computers. And Motu 828MKII USB 2.0 ...
COMPUTER 01 = CPU AMD Athlon64 3700+ / MOTHERBOARD ASUS A8N-E / 2GB KINGSTON / RAID 0 With 2X 160GB.
COMPUTER 02 = CPU AMD Phenom Q9850 X4 2.5Ghz / MOTHERBOARD ASUS M3A32-MVP WI-FI / 4GB CORSAIR / RAID 0 With 2X 500GB.
In the computer 01 motu 828mk2 usb2.0 works perfectly. I'm trying many configurations, and works fine. BUT... on the computer 02 don't work. Dropouts, pops, squeals, freezings, and noises...No conditions to work.
I'm trying:
> FACTORY DEFAULTS ON MOTU HARDWARE - nothing
> USING OLD AND NEW DRIVERS - nothing
> WINDOWS XP SP2 / WINXP`SP3 / WIN VISTA 64 / WINXP PRO X64 / WIN VISTA 32 - nothing
> REPLACE CABLE - nothing
> AND VARIOUS OTHER CONFIGURATIONS.
I'm trying to install a Non-ACPI (F5 on Windows Setup) but erros ocurred. The setup cannot complete the installation of OS.
I'm try MPS Multiprocessor and Standard PC options. Error ocurred on boot.
I'm trying disable the onboard SATA RAID Controlers, and install OS on normal HD with no RAID, but not sucess.
Interesting... on the computer with 1 core (computer 1) works fine. And with quad-core CPU don't work. ?????
The problem not are with the processors compatibility? We are waiting for new drivers from motu?

In my system here, the IRQ 19 is shared with Ethernet, Raid Controlers, 1394, and USB Controller...
Tomorrow are try to install an off-board USB 2.0 Controller. Before this i report the result here.

Thanks for all. And escuse me for my bad english language.
thehowler

Post by thehowler »

Try switching off your WiFi controller.
SILVANOPARANA

Post by SILVANOPARANA »

Escuse me for my bad english language. I'm speak portuguese.

Hello dear friends. I now Thanks for GOD and to this forum!!
The problems are resolved for me. After 1 month of hard work and frustrated trys's.
This solution probably work for other Desktop users.
The problems really caused by IRQ sharing. This is the "track".
Here in my computer 2 the IRQ 19 is shared by 4 onboard devices, like a RAID Controller, USB 2.0 Controller, Ethernet, and 1394.

For escape these, i simply (incredible) INSTALL PCI BASED USB 2.0 CONTROLLER.
My option is: VIA VT6212L USB 2.0 CONTROLLER. And connect MOTU 828 MKII to one of these ports.
The device is working on IRQ 23, totalled separatelly/isolated of other components.
I'm install normal setup of OS (WinXP 32 SP2) - ACPI Multiprocessor PC.
I'm now use last version of MOTU drivers and Service Pack 3 of WinXP.
MOTU 828MKII USB 2.0 works perfectly, like a charm, very nice!!!
Not freezes, pops, clicks, squeals, noises... nothing!!! And i :D :D :D

This solution probably not work if the your PCI slot are shared IRQ with other tasks. But if one of your PCI slot is not shared, probably work.
If the card is simply "extension" or "expander" of native USB Controller, not work, because this continue controlled by native USB Controller. The card instalated are to >> USB 2.0 CONTROLLER <<. A new device appear on the DEVICE MANAGER with name like a "VIA Enhanced USB Controller..."

Thanks for all! Good luck on your try! :D
draudio2u
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by draudio2u »

Here is a new one for you. I have been using my 896HD and 828mkii on a mac laptop platform for years and then had to get another - MACBOOKPRO. I need to run both Windows XP Pro S2 for Pyramix and Wavelab, but I also use DP6 and PeakPro on the Mac side. Bootcamp allows me to do a complete boot in one or the other. Guess what, I get the squeals only on the Windows side. So I need to find a solution not only for XP S2, but also to make sure it works with Bootcamp (BTW - MOTU states they do not suport bootcamp and that this is a Microsoft firewire driver issue, not a motu driver issue...?). Is anyone running something like this or am I on the moon with this one? ny advice would help bt I will keep you informed of my progress, eh...um..... tests. :?

Cheers
MacBook Pro FULL, 896HD, 828mkii, DP7... Just go to the web site and look at the pretty pictures ; )