the invisible 828mkII.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
kutchek
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

the invisible 828mkII.

Post by kutchek »

Here's my story.

Once upon a time, a nice 828mkII was my best friend. I've recorded a lot's of stuff with this thing for the past 2 years. And all was fine.

Two days ago, i powered it on and then...nothing.
the 828mkII is on but windows does not "see" it.
Motu softwares launch a "Motu device not found" message.

Since then, i tried the following

- re install wihdows (without/with SP2)
- upgrading/downgrading MOTU drivers
- plug the mkII on 3 different PC
- try different firewire cables (all were good, i tested them with other firewire devices).
- try different firewire pci card (without VIA or Nec chipset)

But nothing...the mkII is still "invisible", as if it were not pluged.

The mkII didn't fall, no short circuit in the house or whatever, no coffee, tea, soda or anything liquid was spread on it.

Did someone experience something like this?

And a subsidiary question : is the MOTU warranty efficient? did someone send them back their hardware for repair?

I can't take the hardware back to a local dealer because i'me in france and i bought the mkII on an online shop in United States.

:(
Kaatza Music
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Kaatza Music »

I just posted a similar topic. I had exactly the same experience with my 2408mk3 and PCI 424 card.

Have you had any luck sorting it out?
Leon Portelance
Songbird Productions - Kaatza Music

PCI 424, MOTU 2048mk3 & MOTU MIDI Express XT
in a Mac G4 dual 800, OS 10.3.9, 1.5 Gig RAM, 2 x 120 Maxtor HDs, Logic 6.4.3
bognerboy

invisible 828mk 2

Post by bognerboy »

same thing - exactly on my mac g5- did everything you did- nothing- I wish I still had my da 38's for god sake ... :evil: rayzhell.com
bognerboy

invisible 828mk 2

Post by bognerboy »

same thing - exactly on my mac g5- did everything you did- nothing- I wish I still had my da 38's for god sake ... :evil: rayzhell.com
kutchek
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by kutchek »

hi guys,

i spent more than one month trying to fix the problem(with MOTU support help, a good friend of mine specialized in electronics, musical forums...) .Unfortunatly, i think the only solution is shipping back the unit to MOTU for repair.

All units out of warranty carry a flat rate repair fee of $79.95. You'll need to register your product on the Motu website, then contact the support, they'll send you a RMA number.

the price seems fair to me, but due to the fact i live in europe and bought the motu from a US website, i must send it back myself to Motu, so shipping cost will hardly increase the final price. But...still cheaper than buying another mk2.

i hope the future repaired unit will work more than 2 another years.

just one thing, do your your motu units work in stand alone mode? mine doesn't (i mean no sounds from any ins or outs). so it's not just a Firewire issue.
RolandBryce

Re: the invisible 828mkII.

Post by RolandBryce »

Probably the worst piece of kit I ever bought: Cost 800GBP and had to be repaired after 2 years. The repair unit broke after 2 more years and I will bin it finally.
Very expensive fish and chips.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Among the best piece of kit I have ever purchased. Never an issue and still going strong 12+ years post-purchase. Just sayin'.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:Among the best piece of kit I have ever purchased. Never an issue and still going strong 12+ years post-purchase. Just sayin'.
The newest units are now, like mine, over nine years old. Mine is still going strong.

Those who have successfully repaired theirs have told us of power supply and USB connector issues. None have posted part numbers, diagnostic charts or any kind of schematics.

If MOTU will repair for $80, sounds like a good deal to me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro