Non-ASIO applications and sound playback in Windows 10?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
mort_subite
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Non-ASIO applications and sound playback in Windows 10?

Post by mort_subite »

Try as I might, I cannot seem to find a definitive answer to this question, so perhaps the forum can help.

Non-ASIO applications and system sounds are not routing sound through the 1248, and I can't figure out how to enable them. The device is set to 64 channels of44.1-48k, "From Computer" 1&2 are routed to Main L&R, even my media player (Foobar) is registering playback in its metering, but foobar, and every other non-ASIO program (chrome, VLC, etc) does not playback audio through the 1248.

Any ideas what's going on here?
terrybritton

Re: Non-ASIO applications and sound playback in Windows 10?

Post by terrybritton »

First, I am curious what drivers appear in Windows' Audio Control Panel in the Playback tab. On my 828 mk3 hybrid, there appear several WDM/KS drivers. If you have those, right-clicking on one (say, Main Output if one is marked that way) and selecting "Make Default Playback Device" should have you up and working.

On my 828, those drivers are very cranky whenever sample rate changes occur, as they do not perform sample rate conversion, and you need to wait as the internal workings of the hardware switch to the new sample rate and re-sync with Windows. Sometimes that would crash the system or cause crazy spikes. So, that led me to discovering Voicemeeter by Vincent Burel (VB-Audio) for that application, and it has replaced my need for those MOTU WDM/KS drivers entirely.

You set up Voicemeeter's A1 output device to be that of your ASIO device (usually the ASIO devices are near the bottom of the drop-down list), and it adopts all of the buffer settings for that ASIO device for all of its own internal workings. Then you make Voicemeeter the default playback device for Windows Audio, and with the "A" button lit in the VAIO slider, it passes your Windows Audio directly to the ASIO device, and more importantly, performs sample rate conversion for you so the box itself does not need to have its sample rate changed. (So, you could leave the box at 96000 at all times and Voicemeeter will adjust, up-scaling for it.) This becomes especially important where a playlist in Foobar 2000 has tunes with different sample rates or when watching YouTube videos, which vary between 44100 and 48000 depending on what the original was and, it seems in some cases, when it was uploaded.

I use the regular version of Voicemeeter for day-to-day use, and the "Pro Banana" version for interfacing with my DAW to make videos in OBS, as it also acts as a virtual ASIO input device for my DAW and other ASIO software to talk to, passing its audio to OBS, which only accepts MME, WDM/KS, or WASAPI. Installing the "Pro Banana" version installs both versions for you. (I should mention that the regular version of Voicemeeter also has this "Virtual ASIO" input feature, but I like the expanded feature set of the "Pro" version for when making videos, especially the expanded routing capabilities and the built-in recorder.)

I have several videos in this playlist on using Voicemeeter for various tasks.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... iTEnXHAtoV

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
terrybritton

Re: Non-ASIO applications and sound playback in Windows 10?

Post by terrybritton »

Well, I got a good script for a video out of this at least.
OP moving on to a different interface as per other post here.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools