Ultra-Lite AVB Can I use a 1/4" mic adapter?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
ronausti
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Ultra-Lite AVB Can I use a 1/4" mic adapter?

Post by ronausti »

I'm installing my new Ultra-Lite AVB and have just realized that it's possibly the only interface in the category that doesn't have a combo mic jack. My headset mic is an electret (powered by a "battery box") with a standard TS 1/4" (or 1/8") plug. In other words, it behaves like an ordinary cheap dynamic mic with a standard two-conductor (tip/ground) mono phone plug.

Q: Can I use a 1/4"-to-DIN adapter to connect it to the mic input?

In interfaces that have a combo mic jack, I've had no problem with volume level or sound quality.

Even if I could use a Line In for now, I don't want to tie up a line port for that.

Second question: Why do I always discover things like this three minutes after Tech Support closes?
ronausti

Re: Ultra-Lite AVB Can I use a 1/4" mic adapter?

Post by ronausti »

UPDATE: Please see mikehalloran's reply, below, regarding the possible inadvisability of my solution. As it happens, the UltraLite AVB manual confirms that pin 2 is hot, but it does not indicate how to configure the other two. In my case, I can report that the simple connection adapter I've described works well enough for Skype usage (my VoiceStar headset mic is first run through an Andrea APS-100 battery box), but I don't know what effect it might be having on the signal or the unit. A MOTU tech rep would not sanction it, regardless of whether Pins 1 and 3 are jumped. The rep said that any direct connection is inadvisable, and if connecting through the instrument jacks is not satisfactory, that I should use a DI (direct input) box to the mic input. IOW, if you need to connect a 1/4" plug to a mic input, MOTU expects you to use an XLR box intended for this purpose. Exactly what sort of DI box, I don't yet know.

I'll answer my own question ...

Use a cable or adapter that has a mono, 2-conductor (not balanced) jack (female), connected to all three pins of the XLR plug (male). Pins 1 (neg) and 3 (ground) are Sleeve, Pin 2 (pos) is connected to Tip.

Put another way...
[I've deleted this because it turns out that, in addition to shorting two pins, which Mr. Halloran says not to do, I shorted pins 1 and 2. Why this even worked for me, I have no idea.]

Be sure to turn the mic volume WAY down before unmuting in the mixer or router, then ease it up slowly till you're you've got everything correct.
Last edited by ronausti on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Use a cable or adapter that has a mono, 2-conductor (not balanced) jack (female),
No need.

The Switchcraft 1/4 TRS-F to XLR-M works just fine but most places sell them un-wired. Markertek sells them already wired.
in this case the ring and sleeve should be shorted
No.

For best results, leave the sleeve connected to pin 1 of the XLR only if using a 1/4" TS instead of a TRS. Do not connect it at the 1/4". You can cause a ground loop and/or induce other noises.

Do not assume that the return and the shield are shorted in a piece of gear that has an XLR. In properly designed gear, it is not – unless you do so at the 1/4" connector. The shield connected to pin 1 will do its job better if not shorted to the return.

In fact, if using a TRS adapter and it is noisy, disconnect the shield at the 1/4" first. That's why there is a ground lift switch on most DI boxes.

Oh, you really don't want to switch on phantom power when using such an adapter, especially if you have created a direct short to ground.

Although most/all US equipment nowadays is pin 2 hot, this is something that should never be assumed with older equipment or any gear from Europe. Always consult the manufacturer's lit first or test with a volt meter if not available.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ronausti

Post by ronausti »

I don't know how I managed to get the pins mixed up originally. Maybe I was looking at an oddball diagram online. Anyway, I've cobbled up a new one, pins 1 and 2 only, with pin 2 hot (Tip), and 3 unconnected. Works fine, well enough for a cheap noise-cancelling electret mic on Skype anyway. No hum, good volume, sounds very good in MDR-7506 headphones (better, in fact, after Skype EQs me). I have no idea why they say I need a Direct box for that.

Now if I can only figure out a convenient routing for the recording software I use with Skype. Got recording down pat. Playback without a feedback loop or rerouting each time is still something of a mystery.