UVI World Suite seems to be Ethno 3

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's Ethno virtual instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UVI World Suite seems to be Ethno 3

Post by mhschmieder »

http://www.uvi.net/en/music-genres/worl ... f-28240045

Exact same categorization, but a more advanced GUI wth more useful features, and a much larger overall sample set by a factor of two or more, and likely a lot of instruments that aren't in Ethno 2 (I don't have the energy to count and compare at this late hour).

I got a discount offer due to having redundantly bought UVI World Traditions and Spirit of Gongs (both of which are mostly, but not necessarily completely, contained within Ethno 2, if slightly different in format). I'll likely take advantage of that before the January deadline as I mostly do ethnic music.

Not sure if Ethno 2 owners will receive an upgrade voucher. But as with MSI 2 (which got shown in Sweetwater catalogues and by MOTU at one quick NAMM video presentation), which seemed to turn into UVI Orchestral Suit, I think that UVI World Suite is probably what would have been MOTU Ethno 3 (not that such a product was ever announced).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Re: UVI World Suite seems to be Ethno 3

Post by mhschmieder »

Here's the link for the sounds manual, if anyone wants to study it and compare.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uvi/SC53-World ... manual.pdf

I'm not going to bother, because I am willing to spend the money on something so important to me, based on a possibly-false assumption that UVI products are replacing MOTU's MachFive based libraries one by one (well, there's only three of them altogether as I recall).

Note that MachFive is not listed in the System Requirements for what it runs in. So those who don't want to deal with UVI Workstation or don't own Falcon but do own MachFive, should be careful about verifying whether it DOESN'T work or simply isn't promised to work.

As I have stayed up to date with MachFive, I can verify this myself after buying it, but I think I'm going to wait a few days as I have a mic I need to order and receive before some holiday sessions and there's only a few time-sensitive tracks -- in separate projects from the upcoming live mic work -- that might immediately benefit from this library.

I have a lot of high quality single instrument ethnic libraries, but I also have a HUGE gap that no vendor has yet filled, for Colombian/Cumbia, so I'm going to search this sounds manual now to see if any of that is covered in the upgraded library.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Unfortunately, this much-neglected unique set of instruments used in Cumbia and other Colombian forms of music, is still missing from the sampling world. Oh well.

A quick comparison of the Americas looks like no new instruments sampled, but much deeper sampling than in Ethno 2 and more "player" type features and layering. That probably accounts for the much larger sample set (whether compressed or not).

As MOTU Ethno remains the only available Requinto (Guitar, not Conga) source that I am aware of, if UVI World Suite significantly upgrades that one sound, it would be worth the price of the upgrade coupon for me.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I might be wrong about "no new instruments" vs. just deeper and richer content and features.

For the West Indies, "Sun Drum" seems to be new, but I haven't thoroughly checked Ethno 2 to see if I missed a few while annotating that library a few years back.

Also, the Finnish Kantele (a type of Zither) isn't on my list for Ethno 2 so may be new (or an oversight on my part).

So far, I don't see the vocal content from Ethno 2 listed for UVI World Suite.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It does include the voices after all, so it is at the very least the "same" content as Ethno 2, and probably more due to being double the compressed size -- if only because of extra features that might require duplicate samples for combined multi-layered loop constructs.

I'm too tired to compare; it just finished downloading and installing. Just wanted to make sure people know that it doesn't seem to take anything away from what was in Ethno 2.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

UVI posted this clarification at vi-control:

World Suite includes content from both World Traditions and Ethno libraries with lot of enhancements as well as new material including new instruments such as :

Mbira, Karimba, African Guitar Loops, New Taiko multi mics, Latin Zither, Didgeridoo phrase player, Irish Bouzouki, Bulgarian Tupan, Eastern Accordion & Lyra, Moldovian Cymbalum, Russian Balalaika, Ukrainian Bandura, Persian Daf, Turkish Lyra, Santur, Armenian Duduk, Alpine Zither, Finnish Kantele, Nordics Pianos, Italian Accordions, Crazy Flamenco rhythm player with chords recognition and automatic tempo matching, Steel Tongue Drum, Sun Drum, enhanced Steel Drums, Traveler loops inspiration players, Vocal Traveler modules , Gypsy Solo Guitar phrases,…

UIs are completely new and offer legato, portamento, tremolo and so on.

World Suite is based on a new engine, with new effects and it's also compatible with Falcon for deep editing capabilities.