Ethno 2

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's Ethno virtual instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

scooter
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ethno 2

Post by scooter »

Finally something to look forward to from what I thought was a somewhat anemic multi ethnic instrument.

I saw the presentation at NAMM today and Ethno 2 is now 21 gig big and has a lot of great new features.

scooter
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
jimagine
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Ethno 2

Post by jimagine »

Cool, that would explain the silent treatment for the past several months. A "stayed tuned Ethno users" would have been communication 101, but as long it's a big improvement and the upgrade price is realistic then I'm all for it. Just make it quick for those of us who've got things on hold waiting to get the program back on line.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

any more news on E2?
I can't find so much as a press release on it anywhere...
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

"I don't see any method at all, sir."
davelee

Post by davelee »

Spoke to MOTU today.The upgrade price fro Ethno 1 users will be $195.00. That seems a bit steep to me.
Ouch!
With the SL incompatibility issue and having to use UVI workstation in the meantime as a workaround you would think there might be a lesser fee.
Thoughts anyone...
The new Ethno 2 does look QUITE nice though!
Mac Mini 2.3 i7 Quad 16 gig RAM OS 10.10.1, Macbook Pro Dual Core 2.16 4 gig RAM 10.10.1, Digital Performer 8.07,Universal Audio Quad, Mackie Onyx 800R, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Omnisphere, RMX and Trilian,Komplete 9 Ultimate, Ivory I, BFD 2, Korg LCDE, Real Guitar, Real Strat, Ethno 2, Altiverb 7,True Pianos, Synplant, Microtonic, Dynaudio BM6a, Avantone Mix Cubes, Alphatrack, Mackie Big Knob,Yamaha KX-8,Yamaha KX-76,Axiom 25...and more.
jimagine

Post by jimagine »

Well if they don't provide an Ethno SL update for the version that we all own currently (and quickly) it will be like dead-ending DP for everything before version 7.

How exactly would you tell all the current users that they MUST spend $200 to get the new version or no longer use Ethno.

The other option is absurd - UVI with limited functions or go backwards with your OS and screw yourself.

I'm getting pretty pissed at MOTU for making us abandon Ethno for months and then finally coming forward with what..."here buy this, you'll love it even more"? Maybe I will, but I like to decide those things for myself and when I buy a recent product I expect it to be maintained along with the others from that company.
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

$195??!!

You gotta be kiddin' me. That pisses me off enough to do the following...

Quantum Leap RA Virtual Instrument - PLAY Edition

New version! Now available in PLAY format with a new intelligent performance section including portamento, repetition, legato and improved micro-tuning. "Quite simply, RA is the best collection of world or ethnic sampled instruments I've ever used." - SOUND ON SOUND
Quantum Leap - RA - PLAY Edition, THE DEFINITIVE RARE AND ETHNIC VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT now available with the advanced featuers of PLAY

In addition to PLAY’s intuitive custom interface, Quantum Leap RA - PLAY Edition includes many other features, such as:

64-bit* with 32-bit compatibility for PC (*see system specifications).
Full memory access with MAC (requires 64-bit MAC).
Mac Intel compatibility.
Intelligent performance section including portamento, repetition, legato.
Features round robin reset.
Offers improved articulation window and controls.
State-of-the-art convolution reverb with pre-delay.
Improved micro-tuning.
Improved sound quality with high-resolution audio engine.
Hi-fidelity one pole filter for natural cross-fades.
Stereo image editing is now possible using channel sourcing.
The instruments featured in the PLAY Editions are newly-programmed for PLAY from the original recordings.

Quantum Leap RA - PLAY Edition provides composers with access to a variety of rare and unique instruments from Africa, Europe, India, the Americas and Australia, the Far East, and the Middle East and Turkish Empires. Musicians will find that RA has an amazing sound quality and they’ll marvel at the articulation of each instrument which has a wide range that goes from controlled to expressive. All of the instruments and ensembles featured in the collection were sampled extensively as a means of preserving the true character and expression of each instrument. For the first time with the Quantum Leap RA - PLAY Edition, users will have more control over the sounds offered in the collection along with the ability to load even more instruments than ever before

“With ethnic instruments, the key to authenticity of sound is expression,” says Quantum Leap Producer Nick Phoenix. “Now with the incorporation of our advanced PLAY sample engine, with its built-in sensing technology that monitors a player’s style and adjusts the software and sounds accordingly, users will experience a level of detail that was lacking in other products in the market, making their projects come to life with range and emotion.”

Details:
In ancient Egypt, RA was regarded as the creator of everything, the god of the sun. RA is usually represented with the body of a man and the head of a hawk, holding an ankh & sceptre. The chief location of RA worship was Heliopolis (a Greek word meaning city of the sun). RA is an appropriate name for the largest, and most comprehensive rare and ethnic virtual instrument ever made.

RA was born a few years ago, as a sample library called “Rare Instruments.” All of the sounds from Rare Instruments are included in RA, but this only represents approximately one-tenth of the content. The other ninety percent of RA was recorded at a top studio in Hollywood. Because of the size and complexity of the project, I brought in two talented producers, Pacemaker and Tony Austin to co-produce RA with me. They have worked on some other Quantum Leap projects and had some great ideas for RA. We spent time hunting down the best ethnic artists on the West Coast. Los Angeles is so ethnically diverse and blessed with excellent institutions like Cal Arts, it is actually the ideal place to record a rare and ethnic collection.

You will find RA has amazing sound quality. RA was captured with a phase accurate 8-mic setup that gives a complete 3 dimensional image of the instrument. It is this type of sound that takes to artificial or sampled reverb extremely well. The sound is clear and broad. Mics used were Neumann U67 (U47s as alternates), Neuman M50, AKG C12 and Shoepps.

Another cool aspect of this virtual instrument is the fact that we recorded ethnic ensembles. This was done with African drums, bagpipes, gamelan and a Middle Eastern string section. The sound of these ensembles cannot be realistically simulated by layering solo instruments.

RA was a very expensive project, but well worth the cost. A lot of thought went into selecting instruments that would appeal to composers of all types, from dance music, to film. You might want to put the middle eastern string section in your next pop tune, or the hardanger fiddle in a sweeping romantic score ala LOTR.

You might also be surprised at how little percussion is included in this giant ethnic collection. The reason is, we already covered much of this in Quantum Leap Stormdrum. Stormdrum is the ideal companion to RA. The percussion in RA compliments Stormdrum perfectly.

You can have a lot of fun with RA. The possibilities are simply endless, especially when you mix the sounds of different cultures together. Load up the middle eastern string section, apply an Indian or Egyptian tuning from the micro-tuning presets and play octaves. Make a really cool groove with the didgeridoo fx and the Vietnamese jaw harp. Take a classical filmscore piece and replace all of the instruments with their ethnic counterparts: strings with middle eastern string section, solo violin or cello with electric baritone violin, hardanger fiddle or erhu, french horn with alpenhorn, flute with dizi, oboe with duduk, percussion with taikos and African percussion, harp with kora, trombones with rag dung etc. etc.... Or perhaps try the hurdy gurdy, hardanger fiddle, washburn guitar, mandolin and the dizi and make an interesting folk ensemble or the gamelan ensemble with the ney flute, duduk and esraj. And don’t forget the reverb!

Africa:
African Dual Wooden Shakers (Ewe)
African Metal Shakers (Ewe)
Atsimevu
Axatse
Batas
Berkete
Dejembe Ensemble
Ekpiri
Ewe Drum Ensemble
Ewe Large
Bombshell
Ewe Medium Bombshell
3ft FromTonFrom
5ft FromTonFrom
Gankokwe Large
Gyil
Kalimbas
Kidi
Kora
Log Drums
Ngoni
Udu

Americas and Australia:
1890 Washburn Guitar
American Jaw Harp
Banjo
Berimbau
Cuban Percussion
Didjeridoo
Dobro
First Nations Cedar Flute
Mandolin
Pan Flute
Ukelele

Europe:
Alpenhorn
Bag Pipe Ensemble
Bass Recorder
Frame Drum
Gadulka
Hardanger Fiddle
Highland Pipes
Hurdy Gurdy
Irish Low Whistle
Launeddas
Uilleann Pipes

Far East:
Dizi
Erhu
Gamelan Ensemble
Gongs
Koto
Rag Dung
Shakuhachi
Shamisen
Taiko Drums
Vietnamese Jawharp

India:
Bansuri
Baritone Violin (Electric)
Esraj
Sarangi
Sitar
Tablas
Tambura

Middle East and Turkish Empire:
Armenian Duduk
Bulgarian Duduk
Mid East Fiddle
Mid East String Section
Ney Flute
Oud
Qandahar Dumbek
Santoor
Turkish
Duduk
Yalli
Tambur
Zourna
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Okay. So maybe it isn't a one for one replacement. (Lack of vocal stuff stands out.) But *brand new* the thing is $195. And it works.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

hugy

Post by hugy »

jimagine wrote:Well if they don't provide an Ethno SL update for the version that we all own currently (and quickly) it will be like dead-ending DP for everything before version 7.

How exactly would you tell all the current users that they MUST spend $200 to get the new version or no longer use Ethno.

The other option is absurd - UVI with limited functions or go backwards with your OS and screw yourself.
What kind of limited functions have UVIWorkstation compared to Ethno 1 ?
As far as I know, none.
jimagine

Post by jimagine »

Seriously? Other than the sound library, what else does UVI offer from the Ethno program?
hugy

Post by hugy »

jimagine wrote:Seriously? Other than the sound library, what else does UVI offer from the Ethno program?
All the functionality of Ethno 1 are available in UVI Workstation.
(did you check the Edit panel ?)
Plus FXs including Ethno Convolution Reverb, Search function, Arp, ...

The only things you are missing are the instruments pictures.

I don't see how this is an half baked solution.
Maybe I am missing something. Could you please enlighten me.
jimagine

Post by jimagine »

Maybe I'm missing something and you can enlighten me.

So UVI slices the loops and does key assignment so you can compose seamlessly using loops, phrases and the same instruments played live and studio?

That's certainly one of the most touted and useful features of Ethno and I read from other users that theses functions were why they were frustrated at not having the actual Ethno program to handle the library.

So you're saying they're all there? Well that's great then. I haven't gone through the process because the users comments I read here said they were specifically not available in UVI.

If you say you that UVI does everything Ethno does except without the pictures then I'm thrilled. The loops and phrases really only become useful in professional composition when you can slice those quickly into performance elements, use the Ethno time stretching etc.

If that's the case then I'm going to switch to UVI, as I really don't care about pictures, just the functionality and features that sold me on Ethno originally.
IO

Post by IO »

Honestly, with no SL compatability, I own a library and not a virtual instrument.. I dont think it would be fair to charge the v1 users an upgrade fee due to the lack off SL support. I payed for the library and plugin.. At this time In SL the library is only accessible via a 3rd party front end.. But the v1 plug-in has been non functional for months in SL. the upgrade path should be free for v1 users... In all fairness
hugy

Post by hugy »

jimagine wrote:Maybe I'm missing something and you can enlighten me.

So UVI slices the loops and does key assignment so you can compose seamlessly using loops, phrases and the same instruments played live and studio?

That's certainly one of the most touted and useful features of Ethno and I read from other users that theses functions were why they were frustrated at not having the actual Ethno program to handle the library.

So you're saying they're all there? Well that's great then. I haven't gone through the process because the users comments I read here said they were specifically not available in UVI.
It's there. All those features are available in the Loop Panel when loading a loop. You have either misread the comments or they were talking without knowing (which happens a lot on forums unfortunately)
Give it a try, you won't be disappointed, even maybe delighted.

Hope this helps.
jimagine

Post by jimagine »

OK, so I installed UVI player (and picked up the Steinway Grand VI while I was there). I removed the Ethno Instrument Component file from the plug-ins folder per MOTU instructions, but DP7 still tries to load Ethno and crashes as soon as it sees my iLok key.

I need iLok for other things like MSI, so what's up? I thought removing the Ethno Component was all you needed to do to disable it in DP.
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Is it possible there is a MAS version in your MAS folder?

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..