Ethno 2

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's Ethno virtual instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

jimagine
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Ethno 2

Post by jimagine »

stephentayler wrote:Is it possible there is a MAS version in your MAS folder?

Stephen

Boy I love this place - you're brilliant Stephen. That's one of those things I wouldn't have suspected and it didn't turn up in any of the searching I've done here, or MOTU etc.

The file wasn't the same name - it was .bundle rather than the .component file but trashing it enabled me to finally start DP with my iLok on and my instance of UVI shows up with both my Ethno loops and VIs as well as MSI that I also aliased into the UVI folder.

I've got to admit, at first blush, having all my libraries in one player is pretty cool. Now I'm going to spend some time with UVI and see what it can do.

Thanks for the great solution...if you were in Vermont I'd buy you drinks.
tonester

Post by tonester »

nk_e wrote:$195??!!

You gotta be kiddin' me. That pisses me off enough to do the following...

Quantum Leap RA Virtual Instrument - PLAY Edition

New version! Now available in PLAY format with a new intelligent performance section including portamento, repetition, legato and improved micro-tuning. "Quite simply, RA is the best collection of world or ethnic sampled instruments I've ever used." - SOUND ON SOUND
Quantum Leap - RA - PLAY Edition, THE DEFINITIVE RARE AND ETHNIC VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT now available with the advanced featuers of PLAY

In addition to PLAY’s intuitive custom interface, Quantum Leap RA - PLAY Edition includes many other features, such as:

64-bit* with 32-bit compatibility for PC (*see system specifications).
Full memory access with MAC (requires 64-bit MAC).
Mac Intel compatibility.
Intelligent performance section including portamento, repetition, legato.
Features round robin reset.
Offers improved articulation window and controls.
State-of-the-art convolution reverb with pre-delay.
Improved micro-tuning.
Improved sound quality with high-resolution audio engine.
Hi-fidelity one pole filter for natural cross-fades.
Stereo image editing is now possible using channel sourcing.
The instruments featured in the PLAY Editions are newly-programmed for PLAY from the original recordings.

Quantum Leap RA - PLAY Edition provides composers with access to a variety of rare and unique instruments from Africa, Europe, India, the Americas and Australia, the Far East, and the Middle East and Turkish Empires. Musicians will find that RA has an amazing sound quality and they’ll marvel at the articulation of each instrument which has a wide range that goes from controlled to expressive. All of the instruments and ensembles featured in the collection were sampled extensively as a means of preserving the true character and expression of each instrument. For the first time with the Quantum Leap RA - PLAY Edition, users will have more control over the sounds offered in the collection along with the ability to load even more instruments than ever before

“With ethnic instruments, the key to authenticity of sound is expression,” says Quantum Leap Producer Nick Phoenix. “Now with the incorporation of our advanced PLAY sample engine, with its built-in sensing technology that monitors a player’s style and adjusts the software and sounds accordingly, users will experience a level of detail that was lacking in other products in the market, making their projects come to life with range and emotion.”

Details:
In ancient Egypt, RA was regarded as the creator of everything, the god of the sun. RA is usually represented with the body of a man and the head of a hawk, holding an ankh & sceptre. The chief location of RA worship was Heliopolis (a Greek word meaning city of the sun). RA is an appropriate name for the largest, and most comprehensive rare and ethnic virtual instrument ever made.

RA was born a few years ago, as a sample library called “Rare Instruments.” All of the sounds from Rare Instruments are included in RA, but this only represents approximately one-tenth of the content. The other ninety percent of RA was recorded at a top studio in Hollywood. Because of the size and complexity of the project, I brought in two talented producers, Pacemaker and Tony Austin to co-produce RA with me. They have worked on some other Quantum Leap projects and had some great ideas for RA. We spent time hunting down the best ethnic artists on the West Coast. Los Angeles is so ethnically diverse and blessed with excellent institutions like Cal Arts, it is actually the ideal place to record a rare and ethnic collection.

You will find RA has amazing sound quality. RA was captured with a phase accurate 8-mic setup that gives a complete 3 dimensional image of the instrument. It is this type of sound that takes to artificial or sampled reverb extremely well. The sound is clear and broad. Mics used were Neumann U67 (U47s as alternates), Neuman M50, AKG C12 and Shoepps.

Another cool aspect of this virtual instrument is the fact that we recorded ethnic ensembles. This was done with African drums, bagpipes, gamelan and a Middle Eastern string section. The sound of these ensembles cannot be realistically simulated by layering solo instruments.

RA was a very expensive project, but well worth the cost. A lot of thought went into selecting instruments that would appeal to composers of all types, from dance music, to film. You might want to put the middle eastern string section in your next pop tune, or the hardanger fiddle in a sweeping romantic score ala LOTR.

You might also be surprised at how little percussion is included in this giant ethnic collection. The reason is, we already covered much of this in Quantum Leap Stormdrum. Stormdrum is the ideal companion to RA. The percussion in RA compliments Stormdrum perfectly.

You can have a lot of fun with RA. The possibilities are simply endless, especially when you mix the sounds of different cultures together. Load up the middle eastern string section, apply an Indian or Egyptian tuning from the micro-tuning presets and play octaves. Make a really cool groove with the didgeridoo fx and the Vietnamese jaw harp. Take a classical filmscore piece and replace all of the instruments with their ethnic counterparts: strings with middle eastern string section, solo violin or cello with electric baritone violin, hardanger fiddle or erhu, french horn with alpenhorn, flute with dizi, oboe with duduk, percussion with taikos and African percussion, harp with kora, trombones with rag dung etc. etc.... Or perhaps try the hurdy gurdy, hardanger fiddle, washburn guitar, mandolin and the dizi and make an interesting folk ensemble or the gamelan ensemble with the ney flute, duduk and esraj. And don’t forget the reverb!

Africa:
African Dual Wooden Shakers (Ewe)
African Metal Shakers (Ewe)
Atsimevu
Axatse
Batas
Berkete
Dejembe Ensemble
Ekpiri
Ewe Drum Ensemble
Ewe Large
Bombshell
Ewe Medium Bombshell
3ft FromTonFrom
5ft FromTonFrom
Gankokwe Large
Gyil
Kalimbas
Kidi
Kora
Log Drums
Ngoni
Udu

Americas and Australia:
1890 Washburn Guitar
American Jaw Harp
Banjo
Berimbau
Cuban Percussion
Didjeridoo
Dobro
First Nations Cedar Flute
Mandolin
Pan Flute
Ukelele

Europe:
Alpenhorn
Bag Pipe Ensemble
Bass Recorder
Frame Drum
Gadulka
Hardanger Fiddle
Highland Pipes
Hurdy Gurdy
Irish Low Whistle
Launeddas
Uilleann Pipes

Far East:
Dizi
Erhu
Gamelan Ensemble
Gongs
Koto
Rag Dung
Shakuhachi
Shamisen
Taiko Drums
Vietnamese Jawharp

India:
Bansuri
Baritone Violin (Electric)
Esraj
Sarangi
Sitar
Tablas
Tambura

Middle East and Turkish Empire:
Armenian Duduk
Bulgarian Duduk
Mid East Fiddle
Mid East String Section
Ney Flute
Oud
Qandahar Dumbek
Santoor
Turkish
Duduk
Yalli
Tambur
Zourna
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Okay. So maybe it isn't a one for one replacement. (Lack of vocal stuff stands out.) But *brand new* the thing is $195. And it works.
But it's only $195 until today. it's a NAMM special. It's normally around $350. So I guess it's a toss up for those who have spent $$$ on Ethno 1 (like myself).
hugy

Post by hugy »

Except as far as I know there is absolutely no loop support in RA.
KarlSutton
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by KarlSutton »

Isn't this sort of the same thing that happened with MACH V? If I want to use it on Intel I have to pay $195.

I'm starting to get pretty disenchanted with VI's - at least with MIDI modules you buy it once & it works no matter what OS or computer you're using.

Is there a similar work around to using Mach V without upgrading it?

davelee wrote:Spoke to MOTU today.The upgrade price fro Ethno 1 users will be $195.00. That seems a bit steep to me.
Ouch!
With the SL incompatibility issue and having to use UVI workstation in the meantime as a workaround you would think there might be a lesser fee.
Thoughts anyone...
The new Ethno 2 does look QUITE nice though!
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
hugy

Post by hugy »

funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

The micro-tuning options intrigue me, I hope they added more instruments aside from voices and drums.
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
filtertone

Post by filtertone »

MacMusic says Ethno 2 is 64-bit. Is this really true? If it really is, then it'd be the only other VI besides the Spectrasonics stuff that will be 64-bit at this point in time.

This is what MacMusic says:

"Latest-generation UVI Engine: provides state-of-the-art virtual instrument performance, 64-bit native operation and robust compatibility with the latest Mac OS X and Windows operating systems, plus the latest DAW hosts."

If that's the case, then it'd be perfect for Logic 9.1 64-bit.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Ethno 2 looks to be way more of a "new product" than RA for Play was vs. RA for Kompakt (NOT a cheap "upgrade" BTW).

MOTU is like Ensoniq in that they "get" World Music on a deep level. Most other vendors think of world instruments as toys or flavours vs. as primary instruments in different genres.

Ethno 2 covers a LOT of rarely-sampled instruments. I'll probably buy back into it (I sold Ethno 1 last year, and then had a hard time finding single instrument libraries for many of the rarer instruments not duplicated in other world collections, but I always felt an Ethno 2 might change the equation and it appears that it has).

Microtuning in Ethno 2 is very flexible and detailed. Overall features are geared towards world genres vs. spicing up a Hollywood score with a few novel instruments. Kudos to MOTU.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
jimagine

Post by jimagine »

I have to plead guilty to prejudging with the whole Ethno/UVI and even Ethno 2 thing. I'm probably not unique in that I get comfortable with certain creative environments and tools and don't like to have to change if it's not my choice.

Anyway, I agree with your assessment from what I've read/heard so far Motu did good with this and and the upgrade cost certainly isn't an issue for a tool that I'd use regularly in production. And in the meantime using the UVI Workstation is a nice work around and it is nice to have all of my libraries suddenly in one interface. Thanks Hugy.

So basically, though I hate the expression - it's all good.
tonester

Post by tonester »

jimagine wrote:I have to plead guilty to prejudging with the whole Ethno/UVI and even Ethno 2 thing. I'm probably not unique in that I get comfortable with certain creative environments and tools and don't like to have to change if it's not my choice.

Anyway, I agree with your assessment from what I've read/heard so far Motu did good with this and and the upgrade cost certainly isn't an issue for a tool that I'd use regularly in production. And in the meantime using the UVI Workstation is a nice work around and it is nice to have all of my libraries suddenly in one interface. Thanks Hugy.

So basically, though I hate the expression - it's all good.

In order to use Ethno 1 in UVI and MachFive 2, do you need to have the plugin installed, or can you just copy over the DAT and .ufs files?
hugy

Post by hugy »

tonester wrote: In order to use Ethno 1 in UVI and MachFive 2, do you need to have the plugin installed, or can you just copy over the DAT and .ufs files?
Plugins need to be installed, but the plugin format specific bundles are not mandatory.
So you should only have the ones in /Library/Application Support/MOTU ...
tonester

Post by tonester »

hugy wrote:
tonester wrote: In order to use Ethno 1 in UVI and MachFive 2, do you need to have the plugin installed, or can you just copy over the DAT and .ufs files?
Plugins need to be installed, but the plugin format specific bundles are not mandatory.
So you should only have the ones in /Library/Application Support/MOTU ...

Thanks. So I guess I should disable the plug in DP7, right? since it fails....
jimagine

Post by jimagine »

Yeah: Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components.
Get rid of the Ethno Instrument.component file
mwalthius

Post by mwalthius »

I have the original Ethno and have been patiently waiting (like so many others) for an update that will run on Snow Leopard. This business of REQUIRING the upgrade purchase has me PISSED. Not to say that I wouldn't get Ethno 2 at some point, but I bought the original Ethno in good faith, understanding that I'd purchased an instrument that I'd be able to use until something happened like MOTU went out of business. What they've done is absolutely -----.

I managed (somehow) to disable Ethno since it was crashing DP every time it loaded. Is there a way to access the Ethno sounds via Mach Five 2, while using DP 7.1 and SL?
DP 9.52, MacOS 10.14.1, iMac
Yamaha Montage 8, Virus TI, Moog LP Tribute
Omnisphere, Diva, Sylenth1, Alchemy, Z3TA+2, more
http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Cool it on the language mwalthius. Thanks.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!