New Progressive Pop-Rock Instrumental (Using DP, of course!)

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Progressive Pop-Rock Instrumental (Using DP, of course!)

Post by zuul-studios »

Hi -

I know. . . I don't post here often. I usually lurk . . . read and learn from you all. This would be true in using Digital Performer and with composing music. You guys are great; lots of experience and information to be found on this particular web-site. I hesitate to post this piece here because I'm not as active as I probably should be. To be honest, I don't have much to share. Again, I come here more to learn and grow as a composer and as a Digital Performer user.

I decided to share this here because I'm seeking honest input. My life is a bit too busy to write and sequence music often. For example, this is the first piece that I completed in about five months! (THIS has to change!!) So, composing and sequencing is like exercising atrophied muscles for me. I have this piece sounding as best as my ears and experience allows it to sound. What can be done to make it sound better?!?

The title of the piece is "An Afternoon Walk". Of course I'm using Digital Performer (9.13). "Housing" the virtual instruments is VSL's VEPro 6. My set-up between the two if fairly solid. It ain't perfect, but I was able to sequence this piece without any crashes. The virtual instruments (VIs) used were from various libraries including VSL's, Chris Hein's, Garrison's, OrangeTree's, Music Lab's and Kirk Hunter's libraries. (VSL's VEPro really does a nice job with housing these libraries and spreading the CPU work load!) I used reverbs from Digital Performer and from Audio Ease. Each instrument has it's own "track" (of course). I mix using both the MIDI tracks & Audio tracks within DP9. For most of the instruments, I have three "sends" to three different reverbs to help make a "depth of sound" (front to back). EQ is used sparingly. When I do use it, it's to help keep control that "muddy" sound. Without a doubt, there are lots of potential weakness to my set-up. But there seems to be strengths as well, especially with the amount of control I seem to have using DP 9. (I really do enjoy using this program!!) Any feedback will be graciously received.

Here's the Sound Cloud link to the piece. Again, thank you for the listen!

https://soundcloud.com/edward-fiebke/an-afternoon-hike

Ted

P.S. What do you think of Sound Cloud for housing music?!? Just curious.
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
stubbsonic

Re: New Progressive Pop-Rock Instrumental (Using DP, of cour

Post by stubbsonic »

It's gorgeous, Ted! I really love the chords and melodies. The orchestration is (mostly ) beautiful.

At the beginning, I like the kind of drum-cadence style snare drum but there are a couple places where the snare rolls are a little heavy handed, most of them are fine.

The sax melody with a short note on one, long-note on 3 pattern that follows the rhythm of the piano, it feels a little stiff to me. When the low sax joins the high sax, it feels even stiffer. I don't think you really need to change the arrangement, or even the composition, but with the samples it just doesn't sound like how a person would interpret that phrase. Maybe the notes would have a little more gentle decay? I think bring that lower-octave sax down and make them both sound more gentle somehow.

The more full section at 2:00 minutes comes in too abruptly, in part because you've chosen to give everyone a "breath" before that new louder section. Consider adding a cymbal roll in that little space to help swell up to that moment (instead of a single crash on one).

At 2:20, I don't like all those similar crashes with ALL the chords. Perhaps that could be done differently. I think just a fairly hard ride, or changing the cymbals with each crash would help.

I really enjoyed listening to it, Ted. I had to force myself to put on my "production" hat, and the above comments are all fairly minor. It sounds really, really nice. You have a nice ear for harmony and melody.

The choice to keep the 3/4 rhythms simple, does help give it that "walking" quality. But it requires the parts to sound nicely phrased, or the risk is that things will sound a little stiff.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

stubbsonic - Thank you for the listen and for your very thoughtful and helpful comments!! I know what you mean about the drum-cadence & snare rolls. I'm using relatively new "virtual" drum sets by ToonTrack and I'm still getting used to them (especially with regards to controlling the levels, etc.). I don't want them so "up front" in the mix as they seem to be, at present. Regarding the saxes, they're from two different libraries. (The alto sax is from a the VSL library, and the tenor sax is from the a Chris Hein library.) It's a struggle for me to make them sound realistic. I do know that there is much more that I can do to control the sound. . . and the phrasing. It'll take more practice, of course.

I am going to take all of your suggestions and apply them over the next week or so. I do appreciate that you placed that "Producer's Hat" on your head while listening to this piece. Again, thank you!!

By the way, I'd LOVE to go back to college and take more composition and audio-mixing courses. I've actually looked into doing this. It ain't cheap going to college now-a-days!! (I graduated from music college 35 years ago, this year! Heck, I graduated from my first nursing college for the Associates Degree 25 years ago, and from the Bachelors in Nursing 20 years ago! College was MUCH cheaper back then!!) My wife is, presently, going for her Bachelors in Nursing (finally!!) and her college bill, though affordable, ain't cheap!! So. . . another option to learn and grow as a composer-musician are web-sites like this one which are often supported by experienced members. They're gold!!

Cheers!
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Doesn't sound like you need college. It sounds like you just need to keep exploring and keep your ears open. What you do is special.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Jim

Post by Jim »

I like it.

I also like your photo of the Moviola Film Shredder 2000 Extreme in the back of a pickup truck. Those and Showcrons were my least favorite flatbeds.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Nice piece overall, but I have to pile on with the comments re: sax melody. Saxophone should flow and exhibit inner dynamics; this can be obtained by use of a Breath Controller (or, best of all, hiring an actual saxophonist!) when laying down sax (or any other wind) parts. I'd love to hear a more dynamic, legato performance of that melody; it would add tremendously.

Though its static timbre is not as realistic as sampled instruments will provide, the inexpensive Wallander WIVI Band offers a great way to experiment with BC and a Physical Modeled instrument. The way notes connect is so important. Dynamic vibrato is also critical to an expressive wind part; I like to control vibrato depth with aftertouch. You can play the Wallander VI without a Breath Controller, but using one brings the instruments to life.

https://www.wallanderinstruments.com/wallander.php

I use a BC3, no longer available, with my Yamaha keyboards. This is the modern equivalent, much improved:

https://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-m ... ntroller-2

Your Sax melody is of a nature that would lend itself to a mallet instrument like vibes if you so choose. You could thus avoid the complications and simply play the melody on keys.
crduval

Post by crduval »

I really liked it overall, nice clear sounds, the horn, orchestral elements and guitar all sound great and the stereo imaging is crystal clear. I like how it evolved, and all those major 7th+9s are so soothing.

Subjective criticisms:
- Didn't love the sax parts.
- I found the woodblock distracting during the big build section - maybe because that is my metronome go-to sound; it made me think of all the times when I forget to turn it off as I record... My issue, not yours!
- The percussion (other than the woodblock) is mixed too far back for my taste.

Favorite part: (approximately) 3:00 - 3:17 coming out of the big build section was lovely, the upright bass, guitar, piano and pizzicato strings sound so great together, and then your counterpoint strings (and even that woodblock) made it even better. That little section really worked so beautifully to my ears!
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller