new track: "One Million Years'

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
menright
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

new track: "One Million Years'

Post by menright »

Some Jurassic head-pounding. Sorry I post so much; I'm 63 and feel like I have a limited amount of time to make things.

As always, love to hear from the M-nation, particularly techie stuff. I've learned a lot from you folks!

Mike E

https://soundcloud.com/mike-enright/one ... n-years-v2
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
Phil O

Re: new track: "One Million Years'

Post by Phil O »

So, there's this movie about the bank heist to end all bank heists. The planing is meticulous and it's the scene where the heist is taking place and it's like clockwork (the climax of the movie). This is the sound track.

At least that's what popped into my head when I heard this.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The loops sound good, and the mix is nice. There are some long lines that come in toward the end that added a nice dimension.

I think the bridge section was an important contrast. I somehow wish it had more "compositional" muscle-- I'm not sure what that means, maybe tending to the melodies and counter-melodies more. I somehow think the string lines in the bridge are super important, but they didn't get enough refining work (edits, melodic tweaking, etc.)

Ultimately, Phil's description is spot on-- if this is a musical score for some onscreen action where you don't need something "up front" (like a lead vocal or melodic line)-- then this works well. As a sit-and-listen, I don't have that kind of attention span. Some do and really like this style.

I can tell it's gotten good attention to the mix. Nice work.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
menright

Post by menright »

Thanks, Phil and Jon. Phil's bank-heist description cracks me up!

And Jon, you're right about the strings in the bridge. I feel like they just noodle around and don't come to a head. I'll put some more work in there.

thanks again,
Mike E
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Good work, Mike.

BTW, I hate when I make typos - planning not planing.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
menright

Post by menright »

UPDATE! There is now a video to accompany "One Million Years" and it can be seen at https://vimeo.com/219933448. Hope you enjoy it!

Mike E
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

At first, I was like, "What the heck??" Then I was like, "Aaah. ... Wait, what?" Then I was like, "yea but?"

Seriously, that was a funky ride.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com