Original piece

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
davedempsey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Original piece

Post by davedempsey »

Here's a track I recorded last year as a contribution to a friends 35th Anniversary compilatiom cd for his record label Big Rock Records.
This is the first attempt at recording one of my more recent piano based compositions for a guitar based band. It was a bit of a rush job getting it done in time and a couple of friends were kind enough to assist with bass and drums.
All done in DP, of course. I provided the guys with a MIDI based sketch with guide guitar. Drums and bass were recorded in separate sessions playing along with the MIDI sketch (with relevant instrument turned off in the MIDI of course) one pass, no editing. The MIDI sketch and guide was then disabled and the rhodes and guitar parts were recorded against the drum and bass parts, also one pass no edits. I used DP pitch to create a MIDI track from the lead guitar, edited out some notes and used that MIDI to trigger a sax and also a cello in Kontakt, which was mixed as ghosting tone behind the lead guitar.

https://www.reverbnation.com/davedempse ... 38-sailing
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
stubbsonic

Re: Original piece

Post by stubbsonic »

Nice tune, Dave!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

stubbsonic wrote:Nice tune, Dave!
Thanks Jon :)

It's one of the current batch of neo-classical solo piano pieces that I hope to record during this year. The plan is to also record a guitar based band version of the 8 or so tracks.
I think the band needs to sound darker - more activity in the drums and bass, more synocopation etc but I guess that'll come with the players who wish to engage and involve their time in the project. That said I am very grateful for my friends who gave a day to make this version last year :)
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

With this kind of piece it can be challenging to strike the right balance between "tight" and "loose". Do you know what I mean? I don't know specifically if I mean "off-grid", but more that the listener isn't hearing that things have been over-coordinated.

The way I often make things, I have to let go of the precise form and try to let more organic happy accidents occur. It's easier said than done.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
darrell

Post by darrell »

nice! :D