Original Track

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
AsensoryMusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Original Track

Post by AsensoryMusic »

This is not a new track, but a few years old ... 7 or so. Made with DP7, Ethno, EW Silver edition and a few other plugs. I wanted to post it here as the use of Ethno is, well, obvious. You will recognize the samples. Also, its all DP, and I wanted to get critical advice, etc.

Thanks for listening.
https://soundcloud.com/asensory/three-b ... -3/s-0YcGq
stubbsonic

Re: Original Track

Post by stubbsonic »

The sounds, samples & production are quite good. The balance is also very nice.

For my tastes, it hangs out in one place in terms of harmony and texture for long periods of time. For example, it hangs out with the same simple harmonic progression (vi-I, or i-III --depending on your perspective) and strictly minor pentatonic throughout. It isn't until 3:50 that we hear another progression briefly, then back to the exact same harmony & texture for the ending.

That's not to say I don't sometimes enjoy repetitive/groovy music, but for some reason with this, I found myself wanting to hear something new at some points. I wanted things to evolve a bit more than they do. Perhaps that says more about my own attention span.

There may be some opportunities to build some transitions, as well. For example, when you switch to a half-time feel at 2:30, we hear things cut out, but perhaps there could be some kinds of fills or flourishes to make that transition more interesting. Similarly at 3:50, something could swell or lead up to that switch. Right now, most of the changes seem like track mutes (though they are all smoothly done).

Take all these comments with a grain of salt. Obviously, you had something specific you were going for, and in my opinion, you succeeded in getting there. Just thinking of things I'd do if you ask me to put MY spin on it.

Nice work!
Last edited by stubbsonic on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
AsensoryMusic

Re: Original Track

Post by AsensoryMusic »

Thanks for the reply and info. What I got when I listened to it was the feeling that it needed some space, some breathers, and pretty much for the same reason. The samples pretty much drove the harmonies/themes, but I know some work could be done to either shift away to a different harmonic center from time to time or add some breaks, builds, flourishes, etc. Maybe both. I'll look at the project and see what is possible without too much surgery.

Unfortunately I have a habit of rendering tracks too often, and rendering several into one to save CPU and space on the screen. Problem is, it makes it harder to change things later on. I need to start using V-racks more and just freezing tracks that I'm "done with" without taking them out of the project.

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.