"Music Time": a new track

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
menright
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

"Music Time": a new track

Post by menright »

After a four-month drought spent fighting internal and infernal demons, I finally have a new track. To quote from the SoundCloud description: "A political lyric, a booming kick, plenty of synths, and a black hole guitar hook: "Music Time," the latest oddball pop from Mike Enright."

https://soundcloud.com/mike-enright/music-time

All DP 9.1 with MachFive 3. Love to hear any thoughts on the recording and mastering, the more tech the better! And for James, beloved moderator: it's only kinda vaguely political.

thanks,
Mike E
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
stubbsonic

Re: "Music Time": a new track

Post by stubbsonic »

I really like the tones, drum sounds, bass guitar sound, vocal sound. Sounds REALLY good! BTW, the #4 (augmented 4ths) in the background vocals were very enjoyable, too.

There are some sections where the lead vocal is just a little too "up front" in the mix-- which I suspect would be more problematic in smaller speakers. Just needs to sit into the mix just a little more in those spots.

The only other minor gripe I had was the rhyming scheme was a little minimalist for my tastes, but that's me. That kind of stuff sticks out to my ear.

Holds together as a "thing". Hopefully, your demons are relegated to their proper stations.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
menright

Post by menright »

I really like the tones, drum sounds, bass guitar sound, vocal sound. Sounds REALLY good! BTW, the #4 (augmented 4ths) in the background vocals were very enjoyable, too.
Is that what I was doing? Cool!
There are some sections where the lead vocal is just a little too "up front" in the mix-- which I suspect would be more problematic in smaller speakers. Just needs to sit into the mix just a little more in those spots.
I'll work on that. Spent most of my time on the backing tracks and sorta lost the lead. I'll mess with it some more.
The only other minor gripe I had was the rhyming scheme was a little minimalist for my tastes, but that's me. That kind of stuff sticks out to my ear.
Was just reading Stephen Sondheim on the disappearance of "true rhymes" in modern lyrics! In this song, though, the guy talking is a sort of persona and I didn't want him to be too clever. Maybe took it too far.
Holds together as a "thing". Hopefully, your demons are relegated to their proper stations.
Thanks so much for your comments, Jon. I can't tell you how isolated this process is for me; feedback is like water in the desert.

ME
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

menright wrote:
Thanks so much for your comments, Jon. I can't tell you how isolated this process is for me; feedback is like water in the desert.

ME
You're welcome. And believe me, I know EXACTLY what you mean. It's especially true for solo projects where all I have is my own sense of what works.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com