new piece: My Next Life Not This One (the video)

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
menright
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

new piece: My Next Life Not This One (the video)

Post by menright »

Edit: after four months of work, a final version that's really final!

https://youtu.be/TiNg73f7srw

A six-minute auto rickshaw journey through the West's Indian dream. An experiment with Indian textures, sounds, samples. Main samples taken from Indian railway announcements heard during an 8-hour wait at Panvale Station near Mumbai. Locations: Kerala, Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata.
Last edited by menright on Sun May 31, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
BKK-OZ

Re: new piece: My Next Life Not This One (the video)

Post by BKK-OZ »

Just for you, I went to Youtube and watched.
(I hate hate hate Youtube! Vimeo=much better.)

Love the Bollywood mash-ups and the rest.
Kinda wondering about that little girl in the early parts though - she looks worried!
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
menright

Post by menright »

Hey BKK! I'm not any more of a fan of YouTube than you are, but you use what you have to use; I'll have a version on Vimeo shortly. I want to wait just a few days to see if I need to fix anything else.

No little girls were harmed in the making of this video! That's my daughter, and the montage of worried faces comes from over an hour of video shot on that boat (I didn't use any of the smiley parts). That's her default look! She's actually a happy kid, or at least was until she became a teener!

Thanks for watching!

I've been meaning to ask, what did you use to create that twisting, unfurling rope thingie in "It's Not All Black and White"? Gorgeous!

ME
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The vid with the music is amazing!! Had to watch it again. Really really lovely. The worried looks add depth.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
menright

Post by menright »

laughing about the "depth" of the worried look! she was probably just thinking about how icky the coconut milk was...

thanks for the kind words!
ME
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

menright wrote:I've been meaning to ask, what did you use to create that twisting, unfurling rope thingie in "It's Not All Black and White"? Gorgeous!
ME
Thanks for the kind words.

I did a short post on my process for that piece here (third post down).

That's a fairly technical description. In short, it was tricky and took a couple of days to do the primary render (50 hours), ouch!
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
menright

Post by menright »

Wow! Thanks for the link. I guess I never even thought about consumer machines doing that kind of stuff. Makes sense.

I used a lot of AE in the India vid, all for tracking mask shots with an alpha channel, but did the main edit in the most recent version of FCPX. And of course the score is all DP.

ME
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The nat sound from the camera & found footage coming in and out gave it another level of cool. The choices you made about that were "not-slick" in a cool way. Added lots of personality to the overall vibe.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I have seen this section of MOTUNATION before ...this time I said, “oh..what the hell”....
So here is my newest endeavor, playing Jazz again....Dave
(PS, still keeping all my production work a “secret”..lol... :dance: )
https://www.facebook.com/DavidSnowMusic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtCvAhO ... IdPZ5H1O51
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Nice! I like how it starts out sounding like SummerTime, but then the season changes once I recognize the tune. You really have nailed that smooth jazzy guitar tone.

(Might I suggest that this get moved to its own new thread? Perhaps the admins can help you with that.)

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

stubbsonic wrote:Nice! I like how it starts out sounding like SummerTime, but then the season changes once I recognize the tune. You really have nailed that smooth jazzy guitar tone.

(Might I suggest that this get moved to its own new thread? Perhaps the admins can help you with that.)
yeah, looks like I screwed up and piggy backed another thread..I told you this was a 1st for me...lol
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc