new piece: My Next Life Not This One

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
menright
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

new piece: My Next Life Not This One

Post by menright »

Some fooling around with a sample set from twenty or so years ago ("Heart of Asia") was the genesis of this piece. Secondary sample source became a recording I made in the Panvel Station (outside of Mumbai) 2nd class waiting room; I became fascinated by the ring chimes that preceded every track announcement. Throw in a few Bollywood references, some beats, arpeggios, and pads and you end up with an Indian-flavored ambient groove.

As always, very very curious what other members of the MOTU Nation think about the tech work; I'm always ready to learn something new.

Thanks for listening!
Mike E

https://soundcloud.com/mike-enright/my- ... t-this-one
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
BKK-OZ

Re: new piece: My Next Life Not This One

Post by BKK-OZ »

Hey 'nationers, check out Mike's new track, it is worth a listen.

I love me some sitar...
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, that was very pleasing. Really nice work, Mike!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
menright

Post by menright »

thanks, guys - I've been doing some listening myself. Jon, your tunes are gorgeous, lush, beautifully arranged and performed. I love the textures of those instruments (which I assume are real and not just MIDI tracks?) Your 'theme from the golden monkey head' should be in a movie! Made me wish I was out in CO to hear some performances. Keep it up, guy!

And BKK, I've been looking at your Vimeo pieces. The thing that really makes them work (though the visuals are stunning) are your music tracks. Makes me want a nice long playlist of that stuff for my car when I'm dealing with Bronx traffic. Keep posting- I'll be listening!

ME
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Wow! Thanks, ME. I just posted all that demo audio to my new webpage a couple weeks ago.

I really appreciate your giving those a listen! The Phoenix was originally mostly MIDI, but was then performed acoustically by Hamster Theatre (a band I've been in since the early 90s). The rest is either all MIDI/VIs, or has some acoustic instruments mixed in.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com