I am a Very Strange Loop

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I am a Very Strange Loop

Post by BKK-OZ »

I just posted another excerpt from my up-coming installation.

'I am a Very Strange Loop' is my take on recent developments in the science of consciousness, our never-ending quest to understand ourselves as ourselves, and the way in which modern technologies such as the Internet are shaping our 'selfs'.
  • In the end, we self-perceiving, self-inventing, locked-in mirages are little miracles of self-reference.
    - Hofstadter
This is dangerous modern art, watch it at your peril.

https://vimeo.com/121578200
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
stubbsonic

Re: I am a Very Strange Loop

Post by stubbsonic »

There was a kind of minimalism, both the music and visuals had narrow pallets and seemed to be based on a few simple rules. The music seemed to move between 3 chords, and generate rhythms based on 16th notes. The visuals were both chaotic and ordered, even the camera movements seemed pretty orderly. Watching it after reading the quotes below made it more evocative.

That kind of art can be very interesting, indeed. This one didn't push my edges very much. But still the tones were enjoyable. I like those kinds of percussion sounds.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

So abstract! Love it!!
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Thanks for taking an interest stubbsonic - you are right, the whole set up, both audio and visual was based on some basic forumulae, which I then let run, within some constraints. Kind of like evolution, kind of like the way organisms develop. If you take a relatively simple constraint set, add some random variation, this is the kind of thing you get.

Like Dr Frankenstein said in that movie, '...It's alive!...It's alive!...'
8) 8) 8)

Nice to hear from you Tesionman, love is more than like, so I like that.
:wink: :wink: :wink:
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku