Skeeter - The Lightning Hasn't Led You Out to Sea

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
jpetrisko
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Skeeter - The Lightning Hasn't Led You Out to Sea

Post by jpetrisko »

For the most part, I'm a decade+ lurker here, but I do post from time to time when I wrap up a new record. (recorded my first DP release in DP3!)

Brandy new powerpop/alternative/rock EP I just finished up. Recorded at my home studio — but I'm lucky to have decent mics, interfaces, and talented bandmates … doesn't hurt that I mastered yet again with Tom Ruff over at Asbury Media (not that often I get the opportunity to work with multiple Grammy winners).

https://skeetermusic.bandcamp.com/album ... out-to-sea

Love to know your thoughts, and let me know if you have any questions about any techniques or gear!

JP
BKK-OZ

Re: Skeeter - The Lightning Hasn't Led You Out to Sea

Post by BKK-OZ »

Good stuff - not what I personally into right now, so I didn't buy (sorry!) but I dig it.

I loved the bass intro bit on ' I Know Everything (About You)', very melodic, and the tone (now don't go getting a big head here) reminded me of some of Sir Mc's work on Sgt Pepper. Rich and thick, but it sat nicely in the mix. Then the guitars kick in, and I heard Mr Lennon playing (sorta)...

'Long Crawl Back to The Top' had me thinking AC/DC at the intro riff, then you went and got all complicated and nuanced (in a good way!).

Best of luck, good work.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
jpetrisko

Post by jpetrisko »

BKK-OZ, thanks so much for listening. I appreciate that it's not everyone's cup of tea! But anytime I hear AC/DC, Lennon and McCartney in the same paragraph, I get happy.

FYI, bassist totally winged it on "I know everything." Apparently 3-songs no longer constitutes an EP, so I unleashed a 4th idea on the band just before we recorded it. Yeah, he's a badass.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I'm interested in hearing from you how the whole Bandcamp thing works out for you. For example, why BC and not SoundCloud?

I am very interested in how the non-iTunes/non-traditional music/art models are playing out. (Search my posts for a few links and discussions if interested in that sort of thing.)

I use Vimeo for my video/sound art, and I have an account on bandcamp which I haven't fired up just yet.

I also plan on using either http://www.patreon.com/creators/ or http://www.pozible.com/ as part of my lead-up to launching the work I have been preparing for a long while now.

Curious to see where the newer content distribution and revenue raising platforms are working.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
jpetrisko

Post by jpetrisko »

Bandcamp is equal parts commerce and streaming. Soundcloud from my experience is very sharing-centric with the commerce part tertiary. Also, from an administration standpoint, for the artist, Bandcamp is pretty outstanding. Highly recommended … except for the fact that most people use it as a streaming site as opposed to a music store. There's little need when you can steam entire songs, even from your phone.

So, I'm also on iTunes, Amazon, Beatz, etc. with Distrokid as my current digital distribution partner. Used to use CDBaby for distro, but Distrokid wins in the elegance and time to launch categories. They don't do a million outlets, but they do the majors, including Spotify if you care to do that.

…So distribution is better than ever. That said, revenue is virtually nil. Put out the music you want to put out—disregard profiting financially … If you're in the habit of being struck by lightning, you might be one of the few that's making some dough.