new song, "Falling"

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
menright
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

new song, "Falling"

Post by menright »

https://soundcloud.com/mike-enright/fal ... 5-else-mix

This is a big production that is nearing completion; everything has been done in DP8 and MachFive3 along with some older libraries. The only thing I'm playing is an old Strat.

I'll probably do one more mix. I would love to hear anything you folks think about this, tech stuff especially. Also, if anyone has any ideas about getting this out into the world, please let me know. I'm completely clueless.

thank you!
Mike E
Last edited by menright on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
BKK-OZ

Re: new song, "Falling"

Post by BKK-OZ »

The link doesn't take me to your tune.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
menright

Post by menright »

thanks BK! I fixed it in the original message, and here it is again: https://soundcloud.com/mike-enright/fal ... 5-else-mix
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Good effort (tho your pic scares me a little!).

If I was picky, I would say it could use a little more bass, and I would work on the bit of sibilance I heard in the vocals.

But I am not picky.
Congratulations, it sounds good, and it sounds like you put a lot of effort into it. What is next?

In terms of your promotional question, I dunno what advice to give you.
Do a vid?
Shake yer booty thing to excess?
:wink: :wink: :wink:
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Ordinarily, this type of music is not my cup of tea, but I must admit this piece caught my attention. Nicely done, Mike!
BKK-OZ wrote:If I was picky, I would say it could use a little more bass, and I would work on the bit of sibilance I heard in the vocals.
I agree about the bass, but I wouldn't overdo it. Just a tad more. Gotta be careful boosting bass.
The sibilance doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I kind of like it. So I will respectfully disagree with BKK on that. 8)
I think you're real close to a finished product here, Mike. Cool.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
menright

Post by menright »

Thanks for taking the time to listen, BKK and Phil!

I think I will notch EQ just a tad on high end of the vocal and see if I like it. It's DP's Ensemble Chorus that's contributing most of the sound. It's a powerful plug-in but it remains very difficult to set up (at least for me) and really makes me wish I had a nice menu of presets.

I love the sound of this bass part (courtesy of the J Bass in MachFive 3) and had it a bit more prominent in earlier mixes. I'll see if I can do that again.

Mixing is voodoo! Sometimes I feel like a good mix is 80% skill and 20% luck!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Yeah nice effort - the mix sounds okay to me.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
menright

Post by menright »

thx for the kind words, Gaz!