The Nazis are back and they're driving me Berzerklee [sic]

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The Nazis are back and they're driving me Berzerklee [sic]

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Unexpectedly, this isn't a political post, but rather my first score for the Library of Congress NOW SEE HEAR project and what could be stranger than a driver's ed film from Nazi Germany?

http://blogs.loc.gov/now-see-hear/2014/ ... nexpected/
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Re: The Nazis are back and they're driving me crazy... liter

Post by cuttime »

Excellent work as usual, MLC. Whouda thunk you had so much Schubert in you?
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

That was great work, Michael. Loved your music and playing. :)
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks guys. People hear a lot of Schubert in my silent film scores. I guess we both like repeated chords and legato playing. LOL.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Fantastic as always Michael!

cheers
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

That is nice!

Since no one else has asked: What instrument are you playing? Acoustic piano? VI? Any tweaking to the audio in post?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Plugsound Pro Acoustic grand. LOL... The next project due out in a couple pf weeks is on the True Pianos VI. But I figured given their history, the nazis only deserved the PSP stock instrument. I've actually used that on a lot of online projects. Punches out nicely and given that the films are 80-100 years old, people aren't expecting a nice sounding instrument. In fact, if the audio is "too good" it can detract from the films. Overproducing can be a blessing but it can also be a curse if the presentation is essentially a historical reenactment of how people first made music for the movies. Back to your roots.... :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:The next project due out in a couple pf weeks is on the True Pianos VI.
I've always been a fan of TruePianos. However, I'm a guitarst...lol. Anyway, is there a particular model you stuck to for your project and did you set up the Velocity Threshold and Keyboard Dynamics settings in TruePianos to make it respond to your playing style? I've been messing around a lot with that lately and am amazed to see what a drastic difference it can make.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: The Nazis are back and they're driving me Berzerklee [si

Being a pianist (primarily a percussionist in my own mind) I play most stuff out of the box. I may mess with eq a little to tame the bass or high end, add a little reverb and possibly light compression, but aside from that I basically only have to adjust the polyphony to a higher number (usually around 256 or better).

I do pretty severe MIDI editing but leave some rough edges for authenticity. I am used to playing so many different instruments that I don't think much about an "ideal" sound, but rather how good can I make the instrument in question sound as a performer. This past weekend I was doubly challenged by having to perform on a theater organ built into a house (now an artist retreat in Pacific Palisades). I'm no organist and my feet never touched the pedals once in the show. The task for me was getting the right sound for the picture and the instrument, while the actual centerpiece of the venue, was clearly secondary as far as I was concerned. Next week or so I'll be doing two films on the organ and one on the piano at the same screening. Should be interesting...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Re: The Nazis are back and they're driving me Berzerklee [si

Post by mikehalloran »

In fact, if the audio is "too good" it can detract from the films.
Hey, I can always sample the beat up Knabe spinet that got my wife through her Master's Degree. We do keep it tuned. The Bösendorfer 200 was post degree and wedding date. I could always sample that at 11kHz, one or two velocity settings per note - nah... might still sound too good.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro