Give In (Ayn Rand mix)

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
menright
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Give In (Ayn Rand mix)

Post by menright »

Version 9 of "Give In (Ayn Rand mix)": under the radar and off the charts. DP8, MachFive 3, MX4, MacBookPro.

https://soundcloud.com/mike-enright/for ... ive-in-ayn
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
stubbsonic

Re: Give In (Ayn Rand mix)

Post by stubbsonic »

Very fun tones. Nice mix. Dark & playful.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
menright

Post by menright »

thanks, stubbsonic!
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

So does this qualify as a "political" post?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:So does this qualify as a "political" post?
No. I stated elsewhere that so long as there's a legitimate critique of a musical work being sought by the person posting, I'm not going to come down hard on the subject matter. (Within certain boundaries, of course. To use an extreme example, if it were a song promoting pedophilia, you can bet it would be taken down at minimum.) I've had people post religious musical works and *some* on the list began clamoring for removal, but again, I refer you to my main criteria. Should I block pieces originally composed by Bach, Handel, Haydn, etc? When it's not posted with the clear intent to proselytize, I let it go.

Hope that clarifies the issue, just in case your question was sincere. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Actually my question is quite sincere. Still trying to get a handle on how the standard(s) is/are applied. I believe I fully understand that now.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

No problem. As board owner, I do reserve the right to make whatever determination I feel is warranted. So for example, if my gut tells me someone hastily composed a piece of music simply to serve as a vessel for lyrics containing political speech with the intention of purpose of exploiting this board's policy, I may take it down. It may even appear arbitrary, but as board owner, I have the right to be the final "arbiter." :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

You know... I don't know what some of the comments afterward were implying, so I deleted them. Board policy is up to me. Period. No matter what camp you're in politically, keep your comments confined to matters of the music, rather than editorializing on the subject matter no matter how stealthily. Thanks.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Well, I came late to the party and missed the controversy. I find it interesting and well done but not compelling.

The segue into More (Love theme from Mondo Cane) worked better for me. It's possible that my familiarity with the original sound track helped.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Makes me ask the question, "What's this the sound track for?" (Yeah, I always end sentences with a preposition. Get over it.)

But seriously, did you have any visuals in mind when you put this together? If so, care to share?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
menright

Post by menright »

Phil -

Thanks for your question! I'm so used to toiling in obscurity that any glimmer of interest is a thrill, and I'm gonna take advantage of any inquiry with a more-than-you-wanted response!

Like a lot of folks on this site, my distribution channels are SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Google+, Tumbler, etc. I'm on all of them and except for SoundCloud they all have a visual component. So I'm thinking about visuals for everything I post.

I've captured and manipulated a lot of very short sequences from King Vidor's version of "The Fountainhead". It's one of my favorite movies not for it's screenplay or source novel but for it's fantastical expressionist set design and camera work, and the over-the-top performance of Patricia Neal especially. I also think it's one of Max Steiner's best scores (which is something considering Steiner is one of the very first practitioners, maybe even one of the inventors, of the film score).

I'm working on a video for the tune; the samples, which are all of the character Peter Keating (a compromiser and sellout in the story) will be synced with his appearances in the film. There will also be microsecond quotations from other parts of the movie, particularly the quarry scene where the sexual tension between Neal and Gary Cooper is first observed. This will be combined with a ton of other images from many other sources, including stuff I've shot myself.

I'm not saying my videos are high art; in fact I don't know what they are. But that's what I'm planning for this one. I've posted a short statement about how I work here: http://tmblr.co/ZYqAOq1JXMU6I. An example of my video work with my musical tracks can be seen in "Poto and Cabengo" posted here: http://vimeo.com/60019157.

You'll also be in the exclusive company of the other 13 people who have watched it. I've had a few more hits on an earlier YouTube version of the same song, but there's no market for this stuff, and as Andy Warhol said, "You know it's Art when the check clears."

Mike E
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks Mike. That's some seriously F'd up sh** right there. But that's OK. I enjoy watching some seriously F'd up sh** now and then. 8)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.