Into the Vault

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
HarmonicMotion

Into the Vault

Post by HarmonicMotion »

New track I came up with for TV licensing, in the Action/Thriller Trailer Vibe. Sequenced and mixed in DP. Criticism, specifically on mixing very welcome (trying to get better at mixing this type of stuff).

https://soundcloud.com/harmonic-motion/enter-the-vault
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Into the Vault

Post by Prime Mover »

Really quite good. Film stuff definitely needs to be judged by context, so it's a little difficult to make a final call. I'm having trouble seeing exactly what kind of scene this would be ideal for. It's a little slow for an action scene, but a little too punchy for a suspense scene. It sort of sounds like an opening credits theme, but doesn't get going enough. But I'm sure it's perfect for the right place.

My only criticism is the "snare" sound (for lack of a better term). It's not bad, but it gets a little tiresome after a while. It's the kind of sound I expect to break out into a driving pattern, but since it never does, it feels slightly out of place. Might I suggest changing up the snare hit sounds, maybe a Taiko drum here, a white noise burst there, just switch it out so it doesn't feel like it's supposed to be one particular element, but still serves the same function.

Can I ask what VIs and effects you used, especially for the electronic drones and the background electronic percussion?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
HarmonicMotion

Re: Into the Vault

Post by HarmonicMotion »

Thanks Prime Mover,

The background electronic percussion is a few patches from Evolve Mutations 2. They've got a plethora of stuff that is perfect for this.

Any electronic drones are synths either from the Kontakt factory library or pads from Evolve Mutations 1. I don't believe I dove into anything else for this one.

Nothing is just the factory setting or just the way it comes out of Kontakt. I do a lot in the backend of Kontakt, including scripting to change the libraries.