Ostinato - worth twice the price

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ostinato - worth twice the price

Post by BKK-OZ »

Today I have been listening to some of the work of one of this forum's more valued contributors, Stephen Tayler. Stephen's album-length work is called 'Ostinato' and you can find out more about it here. Stephen did a (too modest!) post about Ostinato when he released it in November last year. I bought it back then through iTunes. I am sorry to say that I just didn't get around to listening to it until today, because of work pressures, time pressures, etc...
:oops: :oops:

I'm kicking myself now that I didn't play this music as soon as I bought it, I should have listened to it ages ago... it probably would have helped me get through my busy period of the last few months!

I like music, and for that matter, musicians, who create space*. I have never had the pleasure of meeting Stephen, but through his music and posts, he strikes me as both the sort of fellow who isn't inclined to blow his own trumpet too much, and I reckon he is also that kind of musician who gives a bit of room to others. My guess is that he will be embarrassed a bit by my post, but he'll just have to suck it up, because I want to declare myself a fan.

Ostinato is that rare kind of music that creates 'space'. By that I don't mean it is wallpaper music, or elevator music, or muzak, or anything of the sort. By 'space' I mean that the music creates its own space, invites you in, but doesn't smother you. It doesn't demand your full, conscious attention, but it does still reach in, and through you. Like real space does. It is there, definitely there, but you don't have to worry about it or focus on it, unless you want to. In part, music extending the tradition of Satie.

dunno if that makes any sense, but if it doesn't, just trust me, this is good sh!+, go to iTunes and buy yourself some space!

I should also say that it is technically very competent too, obviously this guy knows how to produce.

Now, would I pay 2X the asking price for this music?
Yep, and in fact, I did!

For some reason, unknown to all mortals except perhaps (the now immortal?) S Jobs, iTunes downloads cost twice as much (roughly) in Oz as they do in the States!
So, yes, I paid 2X the going rate for this music, and I am not complaining.

Ostinato is worth twice the price.

*What if someone could come up with music that creates time? We could really warp some realities then!
Last edited by BKK-OZ on Sat May 04, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
stephentayler

Re: Ostinato - worth twice the price

Post by stephentayler »

Thanks so much for your kind words, BK!

Very nice assessment of my work. It is all about space, and the spaces that inspired the pieces.

I'm hoping to give the album a big push this summer - there is going to be a big interesting feature on me and the album in a new internet magazine when it launches......

So thanks again for your support - and, yes, please, everyone check it out - I need all the help I can get!!

Cheers

SWT
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

:)

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

In case anyone is interested.....

I've been a pretty good musician for most of my life - after it was spotted I had a modicum of talent as a child I was presented as a candidate to be a boy chorister. That went very well, music scholarships and eventually entry to the UK's finest Royal College of Music.... I was always surrounded by the most amazing talent - and felt most intimidated, because my ideas always exceeded my abilities. I had great plans, but my circumstances dictated that I 'get a job' and carry on with my life.

Well, in a roundabout way that 'job' turned into my career as a sound engineer, mixer, producer. Which went pretty well!

It has taken me a while to recognise a way to use everything that I have learnt and make sense of it all - which is why I now refer to myself as a 'sound artist'. I now consider what I do professionally as a sound expert to be one element of being an 'artist' - one of my 'instruments' - if you will.

That is why this project of mine uses 'sound' as one of the instruments in my palette, and of course all the manipulation that goes along with it.

I was a huge fan of 'prog' and 'art' rock long before I became involved with the music/recording industry.

Therefore, having since becoming involved with a number of great people from that world - imagine my delight at this stage in my career, that I have found a new home at Real World Studios, in the magical village of Box, Wiltshire, England.

And still making new and interesting works using many software programs - esp. DP, PT, FCP X, Motion, Photoshop, DreamWeaver, InDesign, crikey - the list goes on and on......

and for plugins and manipulation...........

SoundToys, SofTube, Waves, Izotope, Nomad Factory, Slate, GRM Tools, and so on...

DP has become so important in the last 15 years for me, and has helped me realise many projects for music, film, DVD, art installation, online projects, and endless proposals!!

It is a fact that most projects do not require/allow/need to reference the process of making the work - and so it is not possible to mention 'how' a project was made. We therefore choose to share our process here, and let our world know how we did it - which is great for us inside the bubble, and hopefully for a few interested souls outside!

Ultimately, we find ourselves here with one united goal. We all love the process, and are here to discuss software, methods, techniques, tips, tricks, etc. But I think we all want to share our art, our work, our creativity.

What an astonishing situation this is.

Thanks for listening!

SWT

BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Interesting post on yer history - got a bit of the choir boy stuff from the music, even more interesting to read about it here.

I hear you on the intimidation and years spent learning the craft... if there was someway to combine the energy of youth with the experience that age brings... (in one person) that would be great, imagine the things we could accomplish!

All the best on Ostinato, though there aren't many posts here, a number have viewed, hopefully some will click through and go for a taste of your work. Once they listen, I reckon you will have them hooked.
:wink:
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku