Music from "I Am Nikola Tesla"

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
marnest
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Music from "I Am Nikola Tesla"

Post by marnest »

This music was created for Theatreworks' (Colorado Springs) 2010 production of "I Am Nikola Tesla," a play in which Luke, a troubled young man, is perhaps visited by the spirit of the great inventor. Since Tesla's most far-reaching legacy is alternating current, the music was created largely from transformations of 60-cycle hum. The exceptions are a pair of imitation Balkan folk songs and three brief sound effects: Flapping wings, a thunderclap, and some Tesla-coil crackle. The score was created in DP6 with Kontakt 4 as virtual instrument. The effects are nearly all DP6, but I used Kontakt for its tuning possibilities (quarter-tones, just intonation, and overtone series).

In one respect the suite can't match the original music: In the theater, the music was scored for four channels, with a lot of dramatic front-to-back panning. In one scene, waves of hum even circled the room at increasing speed. I had to remove these effects when remixing for stereo.

Hope you enjoy!

http://youtu.be/bkJQ4UqZx7c

--Mark Arnest