New Mix

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
csiaudio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

New Mix

Post by csiaudio »

A little old school in this one but still an over all nice song.

I was supplied with tracks recorded with an MBox (ewww), the lead vocal was recorded with a $69 MXL mic (except backgrounds those were with some much better equipment), Bass recorded with great equipment, drums are Superior Drummer, and I mixed it in DP using mostly UAD plugs mixed with some other native plugs.

Any thoughts or input have at it! Thanks for listening.

http://www.creativesoundimages.com/mp3/Lift.mp3
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
ronjams

Re: New Mix

Post by ronjams »

The singing sort of reminds me of John Secada. Nice full{WIDE SOUNDING} mix. I personally would liked more focused bass and kick drum frequencies but other than that its cool. Good Job!!!!!!
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

Hey Ronjams thanks for the input and your kind words.

Yeah low end is always a challenge for me. I'm always fearful of having to much mud - sure give away of a project studio mix in my mind. So I always lean a bit on the conservative side. I'd like to get this thing to thump and if I didn't do this for free (friend project) I'd recommend it being mastered. But of course the client has no money and well, it is what it is right! LOL

Thanks again.

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

Send it to me. No charge just trying to establish a reputation or call 314-374-3901
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

Well cool...take your best whack at it! Anxious to hear what you do with it.

Here's the 24 bit link: http://www.creativesoundimages.com/mp3/Lift24.wav

you can email me if needed at: cking@creativesoundimages.com

Thanks!

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Nice clean sound. Mbox (ewww), I agree, but you pulled it off and made a respectable recording with what you were given. Nice job!

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

Phil O wrote:Nice clean sound. Mbox (ewww), I agree, but you pulled it off and made a respectable recording with what you were given. Nice job!

Phil
Thanks Phil I appreciate your input!

Yeah I really felt like I was putting a lot of make-up on the ugly MBox girl to make her look respectable LOL

cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

ronjams wrote:Send it to me. No charge just trying to establish a reputation or call 314-374-3901
Would surely like to hear the newly mastered mix!
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

I did the remastering and sent it back but I haven't heard from him since I did it. He said that he would get back to me in a few days but hey it's the holiday season now but I'm patiently waiting for his response.
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

I think your mix is very good and sounds great. I will agree a little more bottom would help. Like you I am a bit conservative on the low end as well. I do a lot of watching the meters on the buss leveler and main buss meters for low end. Easy to muddy a mix. (Been there and done that) I'm sure your friend is amazed with this mix. You served them well my man.

Enjoyed - Thanks for sharing,

mvh
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

I think the mix sounds awesome! Great job!!!

Mbox??? So what!!! I recorded and mixed this with an M-Audio Fast Track Pro in DP7.. haha
https://soundcloud.com/gentebizarra/noite-a-ins-nia

Except the drums which was recorded with a Motu 8 Pre. and its not MASTERED yet.

:D

cheers
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
crduval

Post by crduval »

Really nice mix; warm and clear, and it sits in a nice acoustic space - not too cavernous, not too intimate. The drums sound a little up front, but not objectionably so - did you play them with triggers? just curious...

I think the lead vocal sounds very good despite the signal chain limitations; it would be interesting to know what it was like in its original state.
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

crduval wrote:Really nice mix; warm and clear, and it sits in a nice acoustic space - not too cavernous, not too intimate. The drums sound a little up front, but not objectionably so - did you play them with triggers? just curious...

I think the lead vocal sounds very good despite the signal chain limitations; it would be interesting to know what it was like in its original state.
Hey sorry for the delay I didn't get the normal email telling me someone replied. The drums are Superior Drums that I programmed so to speak. Regarding the original vocals surprisingly they weren't total crap but lacked dimension. You know with tracks like this it's kinda like putting make up on a ugly girl...it helps but when all is said and done she's still ugly. LOL

Regarding the mastering job although I appreciated his efforts I honestly didn't think it did the mix any favors...I'm pretty sure I emailed him letting him know my thoughts.