First DP8 mix - "Highway"

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
crduval
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

First DP8 mix - "Highway"

Post by crduval »

Hi folks:

Here's a recently completed mix of a rock tune, started in DP7.24 and completed with DP8. I made good use of some of the new plugins (live room B, De-Esser, Dynamic EQ and Analog delay), and I'm pretty happy with the overall result.

I tried some new techniques (for me) and learned so much doing this mix; for example, parallel compression on the guitars (really liked this), side-chaining of effects, and plugin automation during mixing. I also tried some radical stereo field manipulation to add some textural dynamics and differentiate the verse/bridges and choruses. I'm not sure this worked as well as I intended (the piano moves quite quickly about the room:) ), but live and learn, right?!

I came away from the mix with a newfound love for the UAD2 Pultec pro plug-in - that EQ can really put some hair on your sound!

Anyway, constructive feedback welcome; here's the link: http://soundcloud.com/crduval/highway
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
Dan Worley

Re: First DP8 mix - "Highway"

Post by Dan Worley »

I'd be exhausted after playing something like that. I doubt I could make it through the entire song, and I workout every day! Whoo!

You played all those parts and sang it and everything? Holy sh--! You're talented!

I very much like your guitar tones and playing. I also like your harmonies.

Nice job!
DP10.13
crduval

Re: First DP8 mix - "Highway"

Post by crduval »

Thanks very much Dan, glad you liked it!
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller