Generative Electronic Music - Max/MSP+Komplete+DP

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
Mr. Quimper
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Generative Electronic Music - Max/MSP+Komplete+DP

Post by Mr. Quimper »

Here's something "different". :P

I made this a while back...an original generative Max/MSP patch was used to send out semi-random note/velocity/control data over the IAC bus to DP hosting various NI synths running custom performance patches with their outputs all recorded at once in real-time. The only "mixing" done to it was compression and limiting. It might be fun to go in and do a proper mix treatment of it, but I think given its nature it's acceptable to leave it as it is as well. :lol:

Generative.mp3
2.5Ghz Quad-Core/20GB DDR3/10.11.6/DP 9.5
aculver

Re: Generative Electronic Music - Max/MSP+Komplete+DP

Post by aculver »

Nice.

I am looking to do something similar using MAX 6 and DP 7.24 -- sending MIDI generated in MAX to soft synths in DP.

Would you do it the same way today -- using IAC -- or is there now a better way?

Thanks -- Andrew
Freaky Freddy

Post by Freaky Freddy »

Mr. Quimper

Nice one. Lot's of very interesting stuff happening in there. Particularly enjoyed the end.

I think that in Max 6 (and 5) you could bypass DP completely and run it in Max using the
vst~ object to send MIDI data to the vst or AU's. You could also just record it in Max directly (which I believe they have improved the audio quality in Max 6).

Mind you the compression and limiting (given they are DP plugs or synths for that matter) would need to be sent through the IAC bus.

Freaky
macbook pro 17 2.5Ghz, SL 10.6 4GB Ram. DP 7.2 and Motu Traveller. Final Cut Studio, MaxMsp, Mackie 1620 w/ Firewire, KRK monitors, EWQLSO Plus Play.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Hi Fred & Co.,

I do this sort of stuff a lot and am a virtual modular patching SW junky. Patching with Max's vst object, though totally usable, is a little clunky compared to the being able to load, route and save everything in DP if you're using VIs for audio. IAC is an easy viable way to get MIDI from max into DP. You can also mess around with OSC but IAC is easier and tends to choke less on spastic data streams. Alternately if you don't need to get too complicated with your generative processes you can crank out patches in bidule or audiomulch very easily and it might be more fun then trying to get max to behave if you're not familiar with it. Also, if you're not familiar with audiomulch check it out- its truly wonderful for creating and playing around with random soundscapes.

B
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
Mr. Quimper

Post by Mr. Quimper »

Wow, this is an old one! Thanks for the compliments guys! Incidentally, I recently landed a full-time teaching job teaching Max. Should be interesting/fun. :D
2.5Ghz Quad-Core/20GB DDR3/10.11.6/DP 9.5