Any news on Symphonic Instrument 2?

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

FutureLegends
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FutureLegends »

It's been a while since they announced it and demoed it at NAMM... Although at that time it sounded like they were still adding things to it. So hopefully the delay is due to a killer library is in the works :)
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Any news on Symphonic Instrument 2?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not any more news than on the 64 bit update to MX4.

I'm getting the feeling that MOTU is limited in their manpower and resources to throw at this stuff. Some of it may also be 3rd party developers (like with MachFive) that MOTU is depending on and who are slow to deliver.

Whatever it is, the waiting game on these products is getting a bit annoying. I love DP and M5-3, and all things MOTU, but they really need to focus on these updates if they want to keep their user base happy and keep generating new sales via word of mouth. It just doesn't look good to say: MX4 and SI are great VIs and once they get updated to work in the current OS and DAW environment they're gonna be great again.

By that time, people who need the stuff NOW have moved on. It happens.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Yes, that's what I feel too. It's getting a bit too often they do announcements at namm and by next namm they're still not out yet...
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well let's not be hasty. MachFive 3 only what? 3? 3.5 years after NAMM to get released?

In the film industry you keep you friggin mouth shut until release. MOTU might want to put up or shut up in that regard.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FutureLegends wrote:It's been a while since they announced it and demoed it at NAMM... Although at that time it sounded like they were still adding things to it. So hopefully the delay is due to a killer library is in the works :)
Not that it's much of a consolation necessarily, but didn't they make the Symphonic Instrument 1 instruments available for MachFive 3?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Think they did. Don't own that though so it's not much help. But thought SI2 sounded promising. Might be able to get some new sounds soon so I was wondering what became of it...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm Maybe UVI Workstation which is free will be able to play it?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

James Steele wrote:
FutureLegends wrote:It's been a while since they announced it and demoed it at NAMM... Although at that time it sounded like they were still adding things to it. So hopefully the delay is due to a killer library is in the works :)
Not that it's much of a consolation necessarily, but didn't they make the Symphonic Instrument 1 instruments available for MachFive 3?
From a techlink I opened;

Karl,

MachFive 3 will open the original MSI and Ethno 1 libraries if it is set to run in 32 bit mode and running under OS 10.5. Those libraries are not compatible with 64 bit mode. MOTU has released an updated version of the MSI library that will run in MachFive 3 in 64 bit mode. The Ethno 2 libraries will run in MachFive 3 in 64 bit mode.

Yes you can use your original USB iLok key for MachFive 3.

Dave Roberts - MOTU
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
hugy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hugy »

James Steele wrote:Hmmm Maybe UVI Workstation which is free will be able to play it?
It does.
New MSI 1 ufs can be used in the free UVIWorkstation.
joeduf
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by joeduf »

I'm currently running the MSI 1 with UVI Workstation without issue. Not a fan of the UVI UI though. MOTU's older native instrument / multi editor is WAY better than the much newer and less effective UVI UI. At least it's better than nothing if you don't have / can't afford Mach Five 3 (my case). Add a decent reverb to your FX chain and you're half way back to where you used to be.

Still, I wish MOTU would comment when or even if MSI 2 is coming out! Was it scrapped altogether? Is it just delayed / still in production?

Inquiring minds want to know!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It is listed for sale in the latest Sweetwater catalogue, which arrived a few days ago.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Motif

Post by Motif »

Here you have MOTU Symphonic Instrument 2 in the Sweetwater catalogue (Spring 2015 - page 496):

Full image: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AFB5 ... 8/motu.png

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I meant to add that it is NOT posted on the MOTU site OR the Sweetwater site yet (as of a few days ago; been working too hard this week to even spend five minutes on-line, until late tonight). I guess those catalogues are a bit premature in general.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I received a UVI product announcement today for Orchestral Suite, which at $200 is around 2/3 the announced price of MSI 2, and which therefore may be a smaller edition (just as some of the Ethno2 content is offered independently by UVI in smaller libraries) or perhaps a cheaper repackaging of MSI 1:

http://www.uvi.net/en/orchestral-compos ... suite.html

At any rate, I gather this means that MSI 2 should be out real soon.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Maybe they are unrelated products. Here are the credits from the user manual:

Recording / Editing / Sound Design:

Damien Vallet
Kevin Guilhaumou
Alain J Etchart

Software + Scripting:

Olivier Tristan
Remy Muller

UI + Design:
Nathaniel Reeves