Any news on Symphonic Instrument 2?

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Any news on Symphonic Instrument 2?

Post by stubbsonic »

What's the authorization method for the UVI Orch Suite?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

mhschmieder wrote:I just bought UVI's Orchestral Suite for $39 tonight, combining a $100 voucher with the current short-term UVI weekend sale. It's worth it for the choirs alone -- even though I have a few others already.
Where is the weekend sale? Is the voucher something that others can acquire? Would like very much to see if I can score that VI as cheap as possible.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

After seeing some more detailed demos of the UVI Orch Suite, I'm realizing it is not a big enough step up from the kontakt factory stuff for my desires.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford the library that I want. I'm thinking my money-making skills have never been able to support that kind of VI investment.

In the meantime, and as a general rule, I'll focus on the music (composition) and use real instruments when I can. I'll try to save up for something really nice down the road.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, the sale was a long time ago -- I was just updating an old post. Sorry if it confused you.

All of the UVI Workstation libraries require iLok, but as I own an iLok physical device I never pay any attention to whether a "soft" license is available (that is, one only requiring the iLok drivers on the computer). Probably UVI's website talks about this under the Requirements tab per product.

Also, to clarify, the UVI library is what WOULD have been v2 of the MOTU library, as opposed to a reissue and rebranding of v1. This was a source of confusion when the UVI library was first released, as its on-disc size is closer to that of v1 of the MOTU library, but probably due to compression.

The v2 library is much more user friendly in terms of serving as a quick tool during early phases of composition. I haven't really compared it directly to v2 (v3?) of Miroslav yet (which I also own) to be able to make a strong recommendation of one vs. the other.

Miroslav has some unique strengths (especially regarding the old Breath Control enabled patches, and the choirs, along with the upright bass designated for jazz use), but the UVI library has all those older and rarer instruments (some from the baroque era).

I still use Vienna Instruments for MOST of my symphonic instrument needs -- even in rock and jazz, except for heavy use of Sample Modeling when it blends well and handles articulations realistically. I also own Spitfire's stuff and use the non-symphonic stuff heavily but haven't yet gotten around to making project-oriented use of the symphonic stuff.

I still think the UVI library and Miroslav are quite good for the budget range, and feel both are better than the original East/West series (originally $3000 or thereabouts). I don't own the Hollywood series so can't compare those, and also don't own LASS or the Berlin symphonic series.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for all that info. Very much appreciated.