Will Not Work in LION (OSX 10.7)???

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

pryde
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by pryde »

I just got a new iMac and went to install Symphonic Instruments, MX4 and so on. None of these will install because it says Lion will not run PowerPC apps. What do we do now? Is all this software dead?

Thanks!
Rich Hughes
Richard Hughes
FMiguelez

Re: Will Not Work in LION (OSX 10.7)???

Post by FMiguelez »

"PowerPC" apps?????

They run on Intel machines too, obviously...

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... quirements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
System Requirements for MX4

The minimum requirements for MX4 2.2 are:

PowerPC G4 CPU 1 GHz or faster, including PowerPC G5 CPUs and all Intel processor Macs
512 MB RAM or more
Mac OS X version 10.4, 10.5, or 10.6; v10.4.9 or later is required
MAS, AU, or RTAS instrument host software, such as Digital Performer, Logic, or Pro Tools
CD/DVD disk drive for installation
An available USB port for the iLok USB key. Note that if you have multiple products which use iLoks for authorization you can consolidate multiple authorizations onto a single iLok; see this tech note.
We recommend:

PowerPC G5 or Intel CPU, with multi-core processor or multiple processors
1 GB RAM or more
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
jrigga
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jrigga »

pryde wrote:I just got a new iMac and went to install Symphonic Instruments, MX4 and so on. None of these will install because it says Lion will not run PowerPC apps. What do we do now? Is all this software dead?

Thanks!
Rich Hughes
Hey there Rich or anybody else...

Has anybody successfully resolved this issue? I've been running Symphonic Instrument on an old Intel MacBook Pro running on Tiger for years - and now I'm trying to install it on a new one running Lion and I get the same message Rich got... the install icon on the disc is grayed out and when I double click on it it says that Lion won't run PowerPC apps.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much!
Jason
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I believe for the moment you need to boot into Snow Leopard or earlier and install.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jrigga

Post by jrigga »

Thanks MIDI Life...
I've never tried running in on Snow Leopard (just Tiger). It seems like you're implying it would work fine in Snow Leopard - is that right?
Thanks for your help!
MIDI Life Crisis

I believe it will run that way, yes. You're welcome. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
r man

Post by r man »

You can use the MSI sounds with Lion in Logic 9!

Download the free UVI workstation. Once downloaded, move or copy the MSI.dat file into the folder that UVI workstation creates. It will be at:
Library/Application support/UVISoundsBanks

Then you can use MSI inside of Logic 9 with Lion using the very functional UVI workstation instead of the native MSI interface.

One minor issue ... The UVI plugin fails the plugin authorization but you can still use it. It does make Logic more prone to crashing, so save often.

Hopefully, MOTU will come up with an update for Lion compatibility but until then, this is at least a workaround.

Good luck!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

So looks like the installer is PPC only, but not the app. Maybe worth asking MOTU if they intend an update that provides an Intel installer.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
r man

Post by r man »

I did ask the MOTU tech support guy about Lion compatibility for MSI but he was non-committal about it. I hope to talk more about it with them in person at the NAMM show in 2 weeks.
bobwen

Post by bobwen »

I just heard from a MOTU tech: go to the MOTU downloads and download and run 1.1.3 universal installer from the download after you've loaded the DVD sounds disc. It will fully install the program on Lion OS and there's links to update your PACE iLock too if need be.
DP4life

Post by DP4life »

pryde wrote:I just got a new iMac and went to install Symphonic Instruments, MX4 and so on. None of these will install because it says Lion will not run PowerPC apps. What do we do now? Is all this software dead?

Thanks!
Rich Hughes
If the installer is giving you issues, you can use Pacifist to expand the package and pull out the component, and folders containing the presets but Lion may not use Rosetta in which that's how UB applications run under OSX Intel compile.
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

DP4life wrote:If the installer is giving you issues, you can use Pacifist to expand the package and pull out the component, and folders containing the presets but Lion may not use Rosetta in which that's how UB applications run under OSX Intel compile.
Pacifist doesn't run under Lion yet either.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
DP4life

Post by DP4life »

Pacifist is just an app that makes getting into packages easier... you can use the contextual menus to do the same thing. I thought it was out by now I guess not... thanks for the info!

I've attempted installing SL on my new iMac, had major problems, worked around them and finally succeeded. It required having two macs though.
When I originally tried to install SL on my new iMac, the Installer CD crashed pretty early on. To remedy this, I booted the new iMac in Target Disk mode, ran the SL installer on my old Mac and selected the new iMac as the install target. Presto, SL on the new made-for-lion iMac.
So you CAN install SL on a newer iMac or Lion machine.

Hope this helps.
MIDI Life Crisis

Famous last words?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Pacifist is now available for Lion if anyone's interested. http://charlessoft.com/ A nice utility to have in your toolbox.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1