Weird sustained notes

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

proteussyndrome
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Weird sustained notes

Post by proteussyndrome »

Hi I just switched to mac with DP 7. My MSI cd have been waiting for this since last year !

So I install the thing. I play a few notes to test the instruments. After a few minutes I notice something weird :

Sometimes, some notes are sustained forever. Well.. until I play the same problematic notes a second time. Then it stops. It seems to happen when I play a 4 notes chord (or more). I never see this happening during single note playing.

Any idea ?
proteussyndrome

Re: Weird sustained notes

More details :

I'm on Mac Pro Intel Xeon 2x quad core. 12GB of RAM. I installed Digital Performer 7.0 then 3 virtual instruments :

MOTU Symphonic Instrument
East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Gold Play Edition
East West Quantum Leap Storm Drum 2 Play Edition

I have MIDI issues with these 3 plugins. I feel like they are all related somehow.

MOTU : In Standalone : When I play big chords, some notes are missing. Louder I play, more likely it is to happen. When it gets worse, I have stuck notes that only stop when I play them again. Worse, I can also get stuck notes I haven't even play in my chord. It can't be a polyphony problem. It happens with strings sounds set to play up to 20 notes together. That was all in standalone. I don't have this problem as a plugin in DP. If I load a lot of instruments, I can sometimes get a random note that immediatly switch back to the right note. But it's only during playing or recording. The playback and MIDI data is ok.

EWQL Symphonic Orchestra : In Standalone, everything seems fine. It also seems ok as a plugin in DP. On occasion, a note is abruptly stopped but it's rare. So I play, I record, I listen to my playback. Troubles start later. East West can have stuck notes. Just like MSI, it doesn't stop until I play the problematic notes again. If I stop the playback in DP, the notes stop. But as soon as I start again the playback, the stuck notes are back ! The MIDI PANIC button in DP as no effect at all. I must find the problematic instrument, find the note then play it again in order to stop it. It's the only solution. Once this happened, the East West plugin window is acting weird. The little keyboard in the bottom doesn't react to the playback or what I'm playing. The voice window doesn't show anything. The plugin produces sounds, but the visual is totally dead. I must close DP and open again to solve this.

EWQL Storm Drum : Haven't notice anything. Probably because it's a percussion synth. Percs can't have sustain issues...

I don't have this kind of problems with the basic soft synths that come with DP or even Garage band. So I thought the problem was with my second hard drive that handles samples for my big plugins. But putting them on my boot drive or even an external firewire drive didn't help at all. The problem can't be with DP since it happens in standalone. It can't come from my YAMAHA keyboard since it happens with manually sequenced tracks. So what else ? Snow Leopard ?

Honestly, I don't know what else I can try. Anything will help

Thank you
hugy

Post by hugy »

Hi,

I would try to use MOTU Symphonic Instrument soundbank inside
UVI Workstation see if this happen in it too.

http://www.uvisoundsource.com/uvi-works ... icles_id/8

You just need to copy/move/alias the MSI.dat file into
(Mac HD)/Library/Application Support/UVISoundBanks

MSI plugin needs to remain installed though.
proteussyndrome

Oh my god it worked ! When I first opened UVI, it said : unable to mount MSI volume... But then I loaded some MSI patches and everything seemed fine.

But why the hell it doesn't work when I load them into the proper MSI interface ?... I hope MOTU tech support can help on that.
hugy

Post by hugy »

proteussyndrome wrote:Oh my god it worked ! When I first opened UVI, it said : unable to mount MSI volume... But then I loaded some MSI patches and everything seemed fine.

But why the hell it doesn't work when I load them into the proper MSI interface ?... I hope MOTU tech support can help on that.
Software issue in MSI as StandAlone I would say.

IMHO, Don't bother much as UVIWorkstation provides all the MSI features and much more.
Just take a look at the CPU used by the convolution reverb in this one compared to the one in MSI for example.