RTAS plug in not showing in Pro Tools 8

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

houdinimusic
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

RTAS plug in not showing in Pro Tools 8

Post by houdinimusic »

Hey all,
I'm a newbie here. I just bought MSI. I upgraded the version off the MOTU website for my Windows Vista 32 bit OS. I have Pro Tools LE 8 on an MBox2Pro. Not that that should matter so much. I installed MSI, the stand-alone application runs and I can see it getting signals from my MIDI piano keyboard.

My problem is is that after I've created a Stereo instrument track in PT, and try to insert a multi-channel instrument plug-in (tried the multi-mono also)....PT 8 isn't even LISTING the MSI plug in!

Any help you can offer would be great. I seem to notice that at least others are seeing it in their insert menu, but I am not. Hopefully this is something stupidly obvious. I'm a relative newbie to Pro Tools as well.

I've posted this same question on the Digidesign Forum as well.

Thanks, Scott
carrythebanner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: RTAS plug in not showing in Pro Tools 8

Post by carrythebanner »

Not exactly what you're seeing, but this tech note from MOTU.com seems related:
Pro Tools Performance Issues with MOTU RTAS VIs

You could also try loading the MSI sounds in UVI Workstation.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
houdinimusic

Post by houdinimusic »

Great, thanks for the info. I think I had seen that tech note another time, but had forgotten about it.

I will look into the UVI Workstation, seems like many people have used it through that successfully. :)

Thanks, Scott
houdinimusic

Post by houdinimusic »

Well, the UVI Workstation worked like a charm. Found it as a plug-in in Pro Tools, put the MSI.dat in the soundback, voila....no problem. Wow. How easy was that! And FREE!!!! Holy cow....that's awesome! Now I want to get the MOTU Ethno program.

Thanks the tips!
tdblanchard

Post by tdblanchard »

Yeah, I tried the UVIworkstation approach and after I installed UVIWorksatation, then copied the MSI.dat file to the proper folder, upon opening UVIWorkstation in standalone mode, it gives me a "can't open volume....MSI.dat".
I've installed it several times and still get this error upon launching it...both inside and outside of Pro Tools 8.
I'm getting pretty bummed out because this is one of my favorite VI's from MOTU and if this wont even open up in PT, then why the heck should I even bother getting the new DP7 which claims all it's plugs will open in PT!?
BTW, I tried calling MOTU and for the first time in years iI actually heard a busy signal. What the heck?
DP 6 (not installed) | MX4 | Reason | Symphonic Instrument | BFD2 | Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26 12GB RAM | "old school" 828 | Yamaha 01v | Digidesign 003 | Pro Tools 8 LE | '72 Fender Strat | http://www.superflydisco.com
hugy

Post by hugy »

tdblanchard wrote:Yeah, I tried the UVIworkstation approach and after I installed UVIWorksatation, then copied the MSI.dat file to the proper folder, upon opening UVIWorkstation in standalone mode, it gives me a "can't open volume....MSI.dat".
I've installed it several times and still get this error upon launching it...both inside and outside of Pro Tools 8.
I'm getting pretty bummed out because this is one of my favorite VI's from MOTU and if this wont even open up in PT, then why the heck should I even bother getting the new DP7 which claims all it's plugs will open in PT!?
BTW, I tried calling MOTU and for the first time in years iI actually heard a busy signal. What the heck?
MSI still need to be installed for it to work.(at least the bundle in /Library/Application Support/MOTU/MSI/)
and the iLok key plugged in of course.

Hope this helps.
tdblanchard

Post by tdblanchard »

hugy wrote:
tdblanchard wrote:Yeah, I tried the UVIworkstation approach and after I installed UVIWorksatation, then copied the MSI.dat file to the proper folder, upon opening UVIWorkstation in standalone mode, it gives me a "can't open volume....MSI.dat".
MSI still need to be installed for it to work.(at least the bundle in /Library/Application Support/MOTU/MSI/)
and the iLok key plugged in of course.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, but I guess I should've specified. MSI is installed an the iLok is plugged in. As is MX4.
lucas123

Post by lucas123 »

The document appears to be several decades old...How could the Primate at the time have known???