problem with MSI install

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

mumuse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

problem with MSI install

Post by mumuse »

hi everybody !!!
i'm really depressed.. :(
i have a problem to install my MSI...I have a PC with Vista..
here is my problem:
- I launch the CD "install MSI 1.1.3"
- It ask me "requires iLok driver". I install it , i plug the ilok key in usb
- the installation process stop when it indicates "updating the registry"...no progress during a long time
- Then I see a new microsoft window which is opened: something like "Windows Register server stopped running".
- If I do anything: no progress at all, all is blocked
- If I accept this microsoft window, then the install finish quickly (indicated successfully)
- but when I launch the MOTU SW: I have the message "SW could not find the user interface dll.."

I don't know what to do, I tried again and again...
thank you very muchif you can help me..
anaigeon

Re: problem with MSI install

Post by anaigeon »

Hello mumuse,

To be able to update the register, it must run under an admin session!
pakunt

Post by pakunt »

Hi everbody,
I have the same problem with installation MSI in PC Win XP SP3, but it is strange behaviour. I work with Sonar 8 and MSI is used as plug-in. I have installed all programms proparly on begining and it has worked. But in short time the Sonar could not scan the MSI plug-in and scanning programm was frozen without any activity. I have tried to install MSI again because other plug-ins can work OK. Then occured described problem with installation and I was not besides able uninstall MSI. In other words I could not do anythink.
I have re-install complet PC, but the problem occured again and the situation is the same :(
Karadoc

Post by Karadoc »

Hey, I've exactly the same issue here.

My config is
Windows XP SP3
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU
Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H Motherboard
RAM : 4 GB
Soundcard : M-Audio Projectmix IO

MOTU SI was working perfectly (thus I had to use 1.1.1 version for better stability).
One day, the DXi was not able to load anymore in Sonar 4LE : Sonar was hanging, only a process kill was possible.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it was always hanging during the "Updating registry..." time. I did a system clean (iLok removal, registry cleaning, and so on) but things were not better. MOTU TechLinks could not help me much. So I decided formatting my system and reinstalling it. Things are exactly the same. My mistake is that I installed everything before MOTU SI, so I cannot know what is wrong (if it's Windows itselfs that's incompatible, or an update, or something else).

The standalone version works well (so I can use the synth with loopbe1, but it's boring, and I need to change all existing sequences), so I think the iLok key is not involved in the issue ; and it shows that the MSI.dat is clean and working.

I did several researches, and the issue seems to be related to the DXi registering, when regsvr32.exe is called. When trying to register manually, it hangs too (regsvr32.exe never ends). I tried to use a substitute to regsvr32.exe, and found ECMA DLLRegister Tool, that helped forcing the registration. However, it was only moving the issue one step further : now the DXi is present in Sonar, but hangs the DAW.
I checked the DXi dll with Dependency Walker. It says that at least two dll are absent, but it's not related to the issue (those dlls seems to be always missing on a XP system, as they are related to Vista... and they're marked as missing for other DXi that are working).
I tracked the MOTU installer and regsvr32.exe process using Sysinternal Process monitor, and it seems that the process is hanging after a thread creation. I've no others clues, it's really starting to be boring, I spent a bunch of time on that. I really think that MOTU DXi (maybe even the VSTi, I did not check) is somehow broken or, at least, incompatible with a recent update (maybe related to IE8 ?). I really hope that they'll propose a working update.

Here's the list of the installed software :

- Microsoft Windows SP3 Pro Corporate 32bit
- 7Zip 4.65
- Batch Image Resize 2.88
- Cakewalk Sonar LE 4.0.1 (with 2 bundled DXi, full working)
- Dexpot 1.4
- Antivia Antivir 9
- Eraser 5.86.1
- Finale 2004b FR
- Gimp 2.6.6
- InfraRecorder 0.46.2.0
- K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 4.8.5 (Full install)
- mIRC 6.35
- MOTU Symphonic Instrument 1.1.3 w. bundled iLok drivers
- Mozilla Firefox 3.0.8
- Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.21
- OpenOffice 3.1
- Palm Desktop
- PDF Creator 0.9.8
- QuickTime Alternative 2.80
- Samsung PC Studio 3 (w. last updates)
- SplitCam 4.2
- Spybot 1.6.2
- Graphic tablet pen driver 4.12
- TrueCrypt 6.1a
- VLC 0.9.9
- Live Messenger 2009
- WinSCP 4.2.1
- Adobe Reader 9.1
- Audacity 1.2.6
- FreeUndelete 2.1
- MediaCoder 0.7.0
- Unlocker
- Internet Explorer 8

- M-Audio Firewire Family driver (ProjectMix I/O)
- Labtec Webcam drivers
- Latest NVIDIA nForce 6 drivers
- Latest Motherboard and chipset drivers (see above for hardware information)
- TEW 423pi wireless PCI card drivers
pakunt

Post by pakunt »

Hi,
I have tried to re-install my PC step-by-step:
1. Win XP SP2
2. Sonar 8
3. MSI w. iLok
the MSI function with Sonar was OK regarding both formats DXi or VST.
4. SP3
Function OK.
5. Internet Explorer 8
!!!!!!!! Function NOK - sampling DXi and VST broken !!!!!!!!!! Re-install of MSI didn´t work.
6. uninstall Internet Explorer 8
Function OK.
From my point of view the problem is compatibility with Internet Explorer 8.
I work with Internet Explorer 7 and MSI is working properly.

I have informed MOTU support about this experience, but without any reaction.
Try the same procedure. Probably you will have the same result.
moturick

Post by moturick »

wow I had the same problem (MSI running in stand alone but sonar cant detect it...)
and by uninstalling the internet explorer 8,
all came back working
thanks for the hint
proteussyndrome

Post by proteussyndrome »

I'm in the exact same situation with MSI and Sonar. I've been trying everything for the last 5 days. Sonar just can't see MSI. Now, this discussion is kind of depressing. It seems that no one found any solution at all. So what did you do guys ? You gave up ? Cause that's what I'm planning to do. I guess I'll have to buy another orchestral plug-in. This is just boring.
hugy

Post by hugy »

proteussyndrome wrote:I'm in the exact same situation with MSI and Sonar. I've been trying everything for the last 5 days. Sonar just can't see MSI. Now, this discussion is kind of depressing. It seems that no one found any solution at all. So what did you do guys ? You gave up ? Cause that's what I'm planning to do. I guess I'll have to buy another orchestral plug-in. This is just boring.
Why not use MSI in UVIWorkstation ?

You just need to move MSI.dat or create a shortcuts to it to the UVISoundbanks folder after installing UVIWorkstation.

http://www.uvisoundsource.com/uvi-works ... icles_id/8

Hope this helps.
Karadoc

Post by Karadoc »

There's several issues in using UVI Workstation :
Above all, it's not working with MOTU.dat on my main computer (can't get why... I made an MD5 on it and it's exactly the same as the one on the CD and on my other computer). On my laptop, it does. But I need to change instrument definitions in each sequence and I cannot use Circonv Reverbs. I guess there are many others things not usable
hugy

Post by hugy »

Karadoc wrote:There's several issues in using UVI Workstation :
Above all, it's not working with MOTU.dat on my main computer (can't get why... I made an MD5 on it and it's exactly the same as the one on the CD and on my other computer). On my laptop, it does. But I need to change instrument definitions in each sequence and I cannot use Circonv Reverbs. I guess there are many others things not usable
You need the MSI program to be installed for it to work even if you're not launching it.

IR reverbs does work in UVIWorkstation. a bit hard on the CPU but just like MSI.
skinnywalletmusic

Post by skinnywalletmusic »

Hi
I've Recently got MSI 1.1.3! I've done all the right things for installing on my mac (snow leopard etc) but when I try to load any instrument, the window just has empty and no list of any instrument banks appear! I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still this doesn't work! Is this an issue because of snow leopard?! Every bit of help would be grateful! This is becoming frustrating!!!! I'm also using DP6 and MachFive and both work beautifully!

I also tried the motu suggestion of creating an alias but that to does nothing!

Help!

Phil
arnoldlayne

Post by arnoldlayne »

This solution comes bit later than expected but I had the same problem. Therefore I reinstalled MSI 1.1.3 and downloaded the latest version of iLok. Problem wouldn't go away. Then I realized that I had two external HDs going on; one for Time Machine and one for MSI.Dat file. For some strange reason the MSI started to look MSI.dat file from Time machine and propably there's somewhere an older alias, so the solution was to turn the other external HD off.

Now MSI and even Finale 2008 works perfectly.