Newbie MSI question - recording output, Bounce-to-Disk?

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

nickpatterson
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Newbie MSI question - recording output, Bounce-to-Disk?

Post by nickpatterson »

Hello collective wisdom,

I've got a basic project with just 8-9 MIDI tracks, driving MSI in Performer.

I can hear everything play back fine. I thought that I could just select the MSI track and do a Bounce to Disk, but that just yielded an empty AIFF file.

I then tried setting the output of the MSI track to "Bus 1-2", added a stereo audio track with input set to "Bus 1-2" and output set to "Built-in Audio 1-2", thinking that I could route the output of the MSI to an audio track and just bounce that when I was done. However, nothing plays back in the audio track I added.

Any suggestions? Perhaps I'm missing something fundamental about the signal routing? It does seem like it should be a pretty basic thing to be able to record the output of MSI...

Any tips appreciated! Thanks, /Nick
carrythebanner

Re: Newbie MSI question - recording output, Bounce-to-Disk?

Post by carrythebanner »

DP 5:
Virtual instruments are not included when using Bounce to Disk. You need to render their output as audio before bouncing, by using Freeze Tracks or manually reassigning the track output to a bus and recording that bus on another audio track.

DP 6:
Virtual instruments can be included when using Bounce to Disk — just include the MIDI track in your bounce. The catch is, while most instruments support this, some MAS plug-ins have not been updated to take advantage of it yet. See this post from another thread where I recently expounded on this point.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

As CTB mentioned, you may want to "Freeze" the individual tracks associated with MSI so that you can process and mix them.

To do a Freeze, select an individual MIDI track and the MSI track from beginning to end of your sequence and choose "Freeze Selected Tracks" from the "Audio" menu. That will produce a stereo audio track that contains the MSI output for that particular MIDI track.

If you want a mono audio track, pan the MIDI track you wish to record completely to one side (I always use Left, but it doesn't matter), and mute all the other MIDI tracks. Then, set MSI's output to a stereo bus (bus 1-2 for example). Create a mono audio track and set it's input to bus 1 (assuming you panned the track to the left). You can now record the output of MSI to a single mono audio track. Be advised, though, that if the sound has any stereo effects in it, they will be lost and there is also potential for some phase cancellation issues, so be sure to listen carefully to the mono track after you have recorded it.

If it's a fairly "simple" kind of sound that I want to include in a mix, I usually use the mono method, however the richer and more complex sounds, especially those that include things like reverb, usually work better if I go ahead and just use the Freeze function and record them in stereo.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
Psalm62_1

Post by Psalm62_1 »

Wow, I've been trying to figure out how to bounce to a mono track and your instructions helped so much!!!!!! Thank you for posting this!!!!!! :D
MOTU 2408mk3, MOTU 24i/o, MOTU micro lite, Allen & Heath,T.C. Electronic Triple C Single Channel & Stereo Channel, ART Pro VLA (2), Grace 101, Summit Audio FeQ-50, other pre amps, compressors and FX units by Aphex, Alesis, DigiTech, Line 6, etc.. Groove Tubes, CAD, Shure, Sennheiser, EV, Oktava mics, Whirlwind, Monster and Pro Co cables.
Mac Pro Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66GHz, 8 GB RAM running on OS10.6.8
Peak LE 5.2, Ampeg SVX, EZDrummer, EZKeys, Final Cut Express 4, Ethno Inst., MSI.