Can't open performances!!

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

Guezz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can't open performances!!

Post by Guezz »

The multi load does not work, I navigate to the folder but all performances appear greyed out.

I'm in leopard. Any ideas?
dhearn3
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Can't open performances!!

Post by dhearn3 »

I have the same problem. Did anyone ever find an answer to this? The same problem happens with Ethno. I have the .dat file aliased in the plugin folder and in the MSI folder in Applications.
anamorphic

Re: Can't open performances!! SOLUTION!!

Post by anamorphic »

Yep, just happened to me. I'm on Snow Leopard w/DP 7.01.

Here's my workaround:
After you hit LOAD and see your greyed-out multi, type the multi's name in the upper search box. PRESTO, you'll find your grey multi choosable.

Still weird, tho.
Mac Pro (2019) 3.2 Ghz 16 Core Intel Xeon W; 128 GB Ram OS 11.2 - DP10.13
MACHFIVE3, MOTU SYMPHONIC INSTRUMENTS, STYLUS RMX, TRILLIAN
MOTU MTP A/V, MOTU 828mk3, AVID Artist Mix,
YAMAHA 01V96i, PRESONUS Central Station, 2xJBL 3MKII, 5xTANNOY 6.5
ROLAND VS880, KURZWEIL PC88mx, KURZWEIL Artis SE, SHURE KSM44, Various Sound Modules
ckbarlow

Re: Can't open performances!! SOLUTION!!

Post by ckbarlow »

anamorphic wrote:Yep, just happened to me. I'm on Snow Leopard w/DP 7.01.

Here's my workaround:
After you hit LOAD and see your greyed-out multi, type the multi's name in the upper search box. PRESTO, you'll find your grey multi choosable.

Still weird, tho.
Hi - I was happy to see this workaround but when I tried it earlier today, it didn't do the trick. As soon as I start typing into the search field, the Mac (obviously) starts searching and doesn't find the file.

Do I need to set a preference to view "hidden" or System files to make this work as you described? Thanks for the tip...
anamorphic

Post by anamorphic »

Sorry for the delay, CK; Holidays and all.

Try this; after hitting LOAD, negotiate to the folder containing your multi's (for me it's Documents/Motu/MSI/User presets--or wherever you keep them). They will be greyed-out files with the suffix .msip.

Now, start typing the multi's exact name into the above-right magnifying glass SEARCH field. The multi will be listed in the window, but now it will be choosable.

I just did it and it works. Let me know if you have issues and we'll figure it out.
Mac Pro (2019) 3.2 Ghz 16 Core Intel Xeon W; 128 GB Ram OS 11.2 - DP10.13
MACHFIVE3, MOTU SYMPHONIC INSTRUMENTS, STYLUS RMX, TRILLIAN
MOTU MTP A/V, MOTU 828mk3, AVID Artist Mix,
YAMAHA 01V96i, PRESONUS Central Station, 2xJBL 3MKII, 5xTANNOY 6.5
ROLAND VS880, KURZWEIL PC88mx, KURZWEIL Artis SE, SHURE KSM44, Various Sound Modules
ckbarlow

Post by ckbarlow »

anamorphic wrote:Sorry for the delay, CK; Holidays and all.

Try this; after hitting LOAD, negotiate to the folder containing your multi's (for me it's Documents/Motu/MSI/User presets--or wherever you keep them). They will be greyed-out files with the suffix .msip.

Now, start typing the multi's exact name into the above-right magnifying glass SEARCH field. The multi will be listed in the window, but now it will be choosable.

I just did it and it works. Let me know if you have issues and we'll figure it out.
Yep, that's exactly what I did. When I start typing in the Search field, the grayed-out files (and everything else in the browser pane) disappears - just as you would expect for files that don't exist on your machine, an unsuccessful search. So Search is not "seeing" them. I'm at work for the day and don't have the dongle on me, but will try again this evening just to be sure... but I'm certain, almost without a doubt, that what you've described is exactly what I tried.

I appreciate your response tho, and happy holidays to you too!

p.s. I just thought of one thing - After hitting load, I used Search to route to the folder containing the performances (and then did as you described, using Search again to type a preset name). Next time I try it, I will route to the Performances folder manually. Maybe that will be the bizarre little trick!
swera
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by swera »

I'm in the exact same situation with MSI and Sonar. I've been trying everything for the last 5 days. Sonar just can't see MSI. Now, this discussion is kind of depressing. It seems that no one found any solution at all. So what did you do guys ? You gave up ? Cause that's what I'm planning to do. I guess I'll have to buy another orchestral plug-in. This is just boring.
Our Actual Exams and ccna 200-120 pdf gre exam provide you 100% pass guarantee. You can get access to and exams. Our ccna 200-120 dumps - pass-4sure is also very useful tool. comptia security plus
drburt2

Post by drburt2 »

This page says the new UFS files ONLY difference is that they work with 64 bit machines, which the older DAT format will not:
https://www.kvraudio.com/news/motu-upda ... ment-21018

HOWEVER - I can load my old multis
BUT - no samples load!
I get an error message saying "SMSI.dat" wont load. (What IS that - the dat's name used to be "MSI.dat".

WORSE, when I click "relocate" for a sample and navigate to where it is in MSI, the folders are EMPTY!

I can quit the muilti and load the very sound from the same folder that WAS empty and now contains the file!

My theory, while waiting for MOTU techs to solve this, is that .msip multi files made with the old .dat soundbank, still refer to that .dat file (which doesn't work, as noted above, on 64 bit systems

WHAT IS NEEDED is to get the MSI programmer out of his retirement home to write a simple piece of code to replace "msi.dat" with "msi.ufs - or at least allow us to pick the path.

OF COURSE I have piucked the path to the correct ufs file - OR ELSE I would have been unable to open sounds when not in my multis.

Making this all HORRIBLE: I can see 64 samples were supposed to be loaded in this one multi, and I have close to a hundred multis! I will not LIVE LONG ENOUGH to load the 1001 samples the (labor saving) computer can't seem to load (depite the promise that the "only" thing that has changed from msi.dat to msi.ufs is the new ability to open in 64 bit machines.

ANYONE GOTTEN THIS TO WORK?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Well, THAT was CERTAINLY confusing. Let's SEE IF this helps:

.ufs libraries work in a UVI player if you have a current license for them. Though the license doesn't care if the libraries are 32 or 64 bit, the UVI players do. MachFive, Symphonic Instrument, Falcon and the free UVI Player (that you use with the DP 10) are four of many UVI and UVI compatible players out there. What does and doesn't work depends...

For example, you can use the DP 10 libraries in any app that supports the free UVI player (Logic etc.) but only if you have a license for DP 10 or MachFive3 (they're a 5GB subset of the MV3 libraries) loaded on an iLok (MV3 or dP 10) or on your computer via the iLok License Manager (DP 10).

The current free UVI Player is v.3 and no longer opens 32 bit VIs. The v.1 won't open 64 bit VIs. If you have a license for UVI Retro Organs, it won't work till you update to Retro Organs Suite (I think, Retro Organs was last updated in 2013). Many other UVI and 3rd party .ufs compatible libraries have been kept up to date—sometimes downloading and installing the latest version will just work.

BTW, the free UVI player was updated to v.3.014 a couple weeks ago. It can be downloaded either from UVI or your My Products Page/Digital Performer.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro