Will MSI be enough for me?

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

galaxi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by galaxi »

Diazruanova

Post by Diazruanova »

galaxi wrote:Hi

some works of mine with MSI

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=606825
Great work, which proves that with talent, orchestration knowledge, and MSI, it is possible to mimic pretty successfully a Symphonic Orchestra.

Congratulations :wink:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 860 @ 2940 MHz // GPU: ATI-Radeon HD 5670
MotherBoard: Gigabyte H55M-USB3 // RAM: 8Gb // Audio Card: Audio Card: M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Cubase 6 x 64 Bit 6.0.4
The Grand 3 ver. 3.1.1 64Bit // Halion Symphonic Orchestra 1.5.0 x 64 Bit
EWQLSO Symphonic Orchestra GOLD 64Bit (Play 3.0.21)
galaxi

Post by galaxi »

Thanks Diazruanova!

I would say other...but i don't know english language...! sorry

I believe MSI is great for money that i spent. I'm very unaware about musical theoretics, but MSI helped me to concretize my dreams to play an orchestra...it's only a dream, but i'm happy!

Ciao dall'Italia

galaxi
admultosanos

Post by admultosanos »

I think for what you pay MSI is smashing. You just have to be a bit creative with how you use it, sometimes sacrificing what you meant for what sounds good. I've used it on proper person jobs and it's just been groovy.
galaxi

Post by galaxi »

All my composition are performed by Motu Symphonic Instrument, which I currently use with Motu MachFive2.
If someone is interessed to listen MSI sounds, there are some demos of mine on my site clicking on the button below.

Ciao!

galaxi
halcyo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by halcyo »

I have a suggestion: Perhaps some of the happy, experienced MSI users could provide some MSI Tutorials, maybe even offer up some whole DP files with MSI projects in them, because I HAVE heard great stuff from MSI (especially the motu audio demos), but I am a novice MIDI composer, and I have yet to acheive realistic results from it myself.

I have alot to learn though. I don't know much about how to even set up controllers/mod wheels/expression/etc. It might help a ton to actually SEE what others have done to the MIDI/automation data in a DP window.

halcyo
bswylie

Re:

Post by bswylie »

halcyo wrote:I have a suggestion: Perhaps some of the happy, experienced MSI users could provide some MSI Tutorials, maybe even offer up some whole DP files with MSI projects in them, because I HAVE heard great stuff from MSI (especially the motu audio demos), but I am a novice MIDI composer, and I have yet to acheive realistic results from it myself.

I have alot to learn though. I don't know much about how to even set up controllers/mod wheels/expression/etc. It might help a ton to actually SEE what others have done to the MIDI/automation data in a DP window.

halcyo
yeah, I second this - although for the time passed doesn't seem like anyone is releasing anything anytime soon... but I'll bump this up anyway - anybody experienced with MSI willing to make some MIDI files and MSI performances we could load in any sequencer and try learn a bit? I'm sure there'd be a lot of grateful people... :D (tutorials would be great but just a simple song which sounds realistic would be totally fantastic!...
felicidade1

Re: Will MSI be enough for me?

Post by felicidade1 »

I have been using MSI for the last year and to be frank, the sounds are not that bad for a sub $300 software. I would like to move up to Kirk Hunter Strings or even VSL Strings in time to come and I will complement with the brass and woodwind sounds from MSI- to save some serious money for the time being.

I hope MOTU will work out a substantial upgrade for MSI- I don't even mind paying for it if hat's gonna rescue a promising but highly-flawed product.
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, Lacie Quadra ext. drive, MOTU UltraLite MK2, Digital Performer 6.03, MOTU Symphonic Instruments, Kontatk 3.5, EZDrummer, Superior Drummer 2.0, MOTU BPM, Ozone 4, Sibelius 5, U-He Zebra (Man, this really kicks a**).
ckbarlow

yes, we need a "Best Practices for Using MSI" thread

Post by ckbarlow »

bswylie wrote:
halcyo wrote:I have a suggestion: Perhaps some of the happy, experienced MSI users could provide some MSI Tutorials, maybe even offer up some whole DP files with MSI projects in them, because I HAVE heard great stuff from MSI (especially the motu audio demos), but I am a novice MIDI composer, and I have yet to acheive realistic results from it myself.

halcyo
yeah, I second this - although for the time passed doesn't seem like anyone is releasing anything anytime soon... but I'll bump this up anyway - anybody experienced with MSI willing to make some MIDI files and MSI performances we could load in any sequencer and try learn a bit? I'm sure there'd be a lot of grateful people... :D (tutorials would be great but just a simple song which sounds realistic would be totally fantastic!...

I'd agree with these users. The demos posted at MOTU.com, particularly the first one, would indicate it's possible to get decent realism. But achieving that shouldn't be a mystery.

My recent interactions with MOTU about specific problems (the inability to load performances under Leopard) left me with the distinct impression that they have abandoned it without formally announcing such. But I paid for it and I'd like to get good use from it. Best route to that is getting a brain dump from people who have done truly successful demos with it.