Presets Don't Appear

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

wlbwlb
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Presets Don't Appear

Post by wlbwlb »

I have been working on installing MSI for a couple of hours now and finally ran out of ideas (not to mention patience!).

I have a G5 running OS 10.4.5. Two internal drives, A & B. The MSI app is in the app folder on drive A and the MSI.dat file is in the root directory of drive B (i.e., not inside a folder). I have an alias to the MSI.dat file in the same folder as the MSI app in the applications folder on drive a and I have also put aliases to MSI.dat inside each the following:

library/audio/plug-ins/components
user/lbrary/application support/logic/plug-in setting/MOTU Symphonic Instrument

I can open the standalone app and as a plug-in inside of Logic Pro 7.1. But when I double click on a slot in the part window, a black window with nothing in it pops up with three choices: Empty, Cancel, OK

If anyone has any suggestions as to something I'm not doing or doing wrong, I'd appreciate some guidance.

Thanks,

Bill

PS I forgot to add that I also installed the 1.1.1 update.
G5 Dual 2GHz 8 MB RAM, Edirol UA-25; WIN P4 2MB RAM, RME 96/8 PST Pro; Giga Orchestra, MachFive, Kompakt2; EWQLSO Platinum XP, Colossus, RA; VSL Opus I & II; Project SAM Brass, True Strike; Sonic Implants Symphonic Collection; 1st Call Horns
DP 4.6; Logic Pro 7.1; Cubase SX 3
TechSupport
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by TechSupport »

The alias to the MSI.dat file needs to be in:

/Library/Application Support/MOTU/MSI

There should not be aliases in any other location (i.e., you should delete the alias in the application folder, components folder, etc.).
wlbwlb

Post by wlbwlb »

Thanks for this tip, Josh. I got the alias in the right place and deleted all the unnecessary ones.

Everything is working now. I can see the presets in the standalone as well as in the plug-in in Logic. I'll try it out in DP and Cubase later.

Bill
G5 Dual 2GHz 8 MB RAM, Edirol UA-25; WIN P4 2MB RAM, RME 96/8 PST Pro; Giga Orchestra, MachFive, Kompakt2; EWQLSO Platinum XP, Colossus, RA; VSL Opus I & II; Project SAM Brass, True Strike; Sonic Implants Symphonic Collection; 1st Call Horns
papageno

Post by papageno »

...and the solution to your problem is also in a little manual which was in MSI package.
Sometimes help is closer than you think.
I had the same problem first time I installed MSI. Luckily I read the troubleshooting section of the manual right away.
+372 56222285
robcollins

Post by robcollins »

I've just installed Symphonic Intstrument earlier today and I have the .dat file on my 2nd internal drive and the application on the main boot drive - and it just worked straight away - I didn't have to create an alias (or is this done automatically when installing S.I.?)

On a related note , does anyone know how I can have the S.I. patch names appear in DP4.61 in the default patch name box

thanks
MOTU DP 9.12 / M5 v3 / 112D / 16A / AVB Switch / MIDI Express XT USB
wlbwlb

Post by wlbwlb »

papageno wrote:...and the solution to your problem is also in a little manual which was in MSI package.
Sometimes help is closer than you think.
I had the same problem first time I installed MSI. Luckily I read the troubleshooting section of the manual right away.
Well, believe it or not, I did read the manual. Rather carefully and several times. I have the Japanese translation of the manual, which says in the troubleshooting section to place the MSI.dat alia in the plug-ins folder for the MOTU Symphonic Instrument. So I put the alias in AU plug-ins folder, which is this path:

library/audio/plug-ins/components.

My understanding is that this is where the real plug-ins are, not in Application Support. All of my Native Instruments plug-ins are there. These are the actual Audio Units, I believe, and have the file extension: .component

The MachFive Au plug-in is in here along with one labeled: MSI.component

Since this was obviously where the plug-ins resided, or so I thought, I was really puzzled when MSI didn't work. When this didn't work. I put aliases in the library/application support folder along with several other likely places. I think this overkill was the problem. Apparently multiple aliases don't work.

Anyway, MSI is now working on my G5, but some of the problemw here arise from the duplication that exists in OS X for so many support functions. The same problem comes up for fonts which can be stored in FOUR different places in OS X.

MOTU might possibly save us all some time by stating explicitly from the get-go which folder to put the alias in on the Mac. Maybe someone could check the English language manual and see if it does do that. I thought I could download a PDF English version online, but you have to buy it. I have ordered it (for an extra $25 + sph!) from MOTU, so I will compare it and see if it is as vague as the localized manual.

Anyway, Jason from MOTU tech support responded on this forum almost immediately and solved my problem, so I don't have any complaints.

Take care,

Bill
TechSupport

Post by TechSupport »

To clarify, the Read Me file included with MSI suggests installing the MSI.dat file from the DVD as the very first step; this way, our installer can find where you put it, make an alias accordingly, and put the alias in the correct location. That way, you don't have to worry about the exact locations -- we take care of it.

However, if you installed MSI before copying over the MSI.dat file, you can still set it up manually. If you find yourself in this situation, the manual suggests searching for "MSI.bundle", and then making an alias to the MSI.dat file in the location where it is found. Note that "MSI.bundle" is found in:

/Library/Application Support/MOTU/MSI

... not /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components (that file is "MSI.component").

We've also posted an online tech note about this (including details for Windows users):
MOTU Symphonic Instrument cannot find my sounds
MTZL

Re: Presets Don't Appear

Post by MTZL »

Is there solution for black window?
I have Window 7 x64bit, installed all the recent update of iLok & MSI v1.1.3.

After the install it didnt find dll. I reinstalled this thing over 5 times & still doesnt work. now its just black window with File menu up top & it will display some part of the function but doesnt work right.
Is there something I over looked or tip to get this running again with my new system???

I installed it as directed.
Any help is appreciated.