Can Unisyn be used under OSX Mavericks?

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

AudioSoundzz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Can Unisyn be used under OSX Mavericks?

Post by AudioSoundzz »

I am using Mavericks on my Mac and would like to put Unisyn onto this computer. Can I get the status of this and MOTU's plans for upgrade paths in the future?
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Can Unisyn be used under OSX Mavericks?

Post by FMiguelez »

AudioSoundzz wrote: Can I get the status of this and MOTU's plans for upgrade paths in the future?
Only MOTU could tell you about it. Why don´t you ask them directly?

Here, we could speculate about it, but if you want to know for sure, go to the source.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

We've discussed this in another thread. The conclusion we came to was that there would be almost no chance of MOTU ever providing an update to Unisyn to bring it into current OS's & hardware.

We theorized that the resources required to update the software would be one thing, but also the profiles (or whatever they were called ) for the hardware synths would be also quite tedious and costly to prepare.

I think the best bet is to find an old used computer that is able to load & run Unisyn and use it when you need it.

I do think MOTU may still sell it, but it is as-is, and pretty much abandon-ware-- so you would really need to make sure you had all your ducks in a row wrt having an old computer/OS.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If you want a full patch editor, MIDI Quest is about all there is, at least for the Mac. This is a very small market, about as niche as it gets. Hard to image MOTU every putting time and effort into an update.

MIDI Quest is pretty expensive, and it doesn't suit everyone, but the owner is responsive, the range of hardware support is good, and there is a demo on his site.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

If you don't need Editor features, look into Sysex Librarian. http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Many of us keep an old Mac around just for these issues. The G4 was the last machine that could boot in both OS 9 and X but a G3 works, too.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Many of us keep an old Mac around just for these issues. The G4 was the last machine that could boot in both OS 9 and X but a G3 works, too.
Or an old Atari. It's $99 to upgrade to the old Mac version.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
grey

Post by grey »

Snow leopard w/Rosetta installed was last that worked

Rosetta is neither included nor supported in Mac OS X v10.7 "Lion" or later. Therefore, with Lion and later releases, the current Macintosh platform does not support PowerPC applications.