if MOTU updated Unisyn, would you buy it?

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

pounce
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

if MOTU updated Unisyn, would you buy it?

Post by pounce »

If MOTU went ahead and updated Unisyn to run on current OS's, would you buy it?

I would. I suspect that if MOTU saw enough interest that they -might- be pursuaded to do something with that software. I'd love it if they did. When I chatted with them some time back I was told it was a possibility, but based on if there was enough interest to warrant the effort.

We don't really have any universal editor librarians out there anymore as commercial programs with proper support. I also had sound diver, and wasn't a huge fan of that.

I don't prefer to have a bunch of different editing/librarian programs for all of my individual synths. Right now I've even considered getting an older computer to keep running Unisyn as it is, and that might happen, but it still doesn't support some synths that are newer.

I think that anyone with a hardware synth is a potential customer for this, and that the market for it, while niche, is as big as the market for a mac based DP was if not bigger. I'd hate to see all of those great profiles and editing just become abandonware.

So, hoping this thread would show some support to MOTU for the idea of updating Unisyn, perhaps even making it so that users could create their own synth profiles so we as a community to work within the Unisyn framework. Hoping there are folks here with hardware synths that would like a copy of Unisyn that is current as much as I would, and hoping that we can get MOTU to take notice.
Guitar Gaz

Re: if MOTU updated Unisyn, would you buy it?

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Nope - I don't use hardware synths or modules anymore. Opcode Galaxy Plus was always better - never really liked Unisyn when I did use hardware.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

pounce wrote:If MOTU went ahead and updated Unisyn to run on current OS's, would you buy it?
I'd upgrade my copy just to get an editor for my QS8 again. But I wouldn't buy it new.

I wish they would open source it to the hobby community. I'd work on it.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I might pay a nominal update fee, but not likely enough to make it worth MOTU's effort. Much better MOTU puts their software effort into DP, Cuemix, MachFive, etc.

If you have an old copy of Unisyn that works well with the synths you have, maybe try finding a very old, possibly free computer that will run it. I did this some time ago, running Unisyn on an Atari and Cubase on a PPC 8600, both connected via MIDI to hardware synths.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I feel like this might have been mentioned on another thread, but it would be cool if Unisyn was somehow able to be ported into an open-source product so that users could build on it with their gear and keep it alive and current.

Hard to imagine how it could be a profitable use of resources as a private project, but as an open-source project, it might at least be useable for a longer period of time as MIDI ages out (?)

Might not be a bit money-maker for MOTU, but it would earn some Karma points with the synth-heads.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
RBlooz

Post by RBlooz »

I would buy it as an upgrade absolutely. I'm one of those MIDI hardware synth guys that doesn't want to buy everything over and over again. My MIDI set up works for me as a writing tool and that's really all I need it to be. It would be nice if Unisyn were as nice as Opcode's Galaxy Plus! Now that was an editor/librarian...
pounce

Post by pounce »

You guys are pretty cheap. I was hoping this would be more of a show of support for having that software not become abandonware.

I liked Unisyn better than Sounddiver. I also thought there was at least a slim chance of getting MOTU to update it if we showed some support.

Considering the investment I have in synths, having a product like this to support them seems like an obvious fit. In fact not having one around makes me feel a bit like I'm missing something.

I don't think there are viable alternatives for this kind of product right now. MIDI quest is the only one not totally dead and it looks like a mess. I'd rather get Unisyn back again. I'd upgrade my copy or even buy it outright.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Cheap?! Indeed.

Regardless of what I might be willing to pony up so I can have a computer editor librarian for my K2500R and K2661-- it won't be worth it for MOTU. The ratio of resources it would take to keep it working to how many folks would purchase it would make it something they'd probably lose money on.

Even porting it to an open-source thing (which probably would not be possible anyway)- would cost them.

I suppose MOTU could post a poll to see how much interest there might be.

Bayswater's suggestion to get an older version on an older machine seems like the most sensible compromise.

EDIT: sorry, you wouldn't need an older version of Unisyn to run on an older machine.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

pounce

Post by pounce »

I've found some people interested in buying it and some not willing to pony up any money. Fair enough. I'm not convinced anyone can say whether it would prove to be worth it or not, and a few naysayers haven't convinced me that it isnt worth it for MOTU.

While I already own Unisyn and can run it on an older machine, that doesn't open up any possibility for new profiles for newer synths. Even porting Unisyn as is and allowing users to add or files themselves would keep a great piece of software alive and that would satisfy me.

There are a ton of reasons why I think it's helpful to have an editor librarian around. I have hundreds of patches for unintuitive rack synths that I'd hate to edit any other way. I use DP as my main software and would love to see Unisyn updated as a great support product for a synth guy like me.

I continue to believe that there are enough synth users out there that Unisyn would be a "if we build it they will come" product. It would essentially corner the market and if really updated would sell to many folks with hardware synths since there essentially isn't amply real competition.

I was hoping more folks here would voice their interest in seeing Unisyn updated, but thats just me as a synth head. Still have around 16 of em and used to have about twice as many.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I own it, I'd buy it, I'd update it. For goodness sake, at least make it Intel compatible so it'd run on newer OSs.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The tight integration with DP is another big selling point. It could be possible to make DP the complete electronic musician's rig with Unisyn sitting either side-by-side or within DP. Even taking some of the sysex communication and capitalizing on it for a better GUI on realtime sysex control of older gear.

wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

I would buy it also. I understand, however, the law of supply and demand; If it ever becomes available again, it may be "premium priced", since it would be a "niche" product, and programmers have to eat, too. Since I already own it, I would hope to qualify for an upgrade price, but I would actually "re-buy" it if MOTU updates it. Kinda like the old Stephen Wright joke about going to the store to buy batteries, but they weren't included, so he had to buy them again!
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

I’ve started to buy it many times. The only reason I haven’t is because of it’s uncertain future, combined with the price. If it were cheaper I’d buy it and not worry about the future. If were being maintained and developed I’d probably pay the money.
billf

Post by billf »

I would buy it.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The thing is, MOTU DID update Unisyn, and it would have been a free update. (but I'd have paid for it, no question) The programmer who did the work describes it in another thread.

They never posted the update, apparently. I waited and waited for that. I'd like to have had it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|