Unisyn & Snow Leopard?

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

csternau
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Unisyn & Snow Leopard?

Post by csternau »

Has anyone had a positive (or negative) experience with Unisyn in Snow Leopard? Considering an OS upgrade from Leopard (where it is finally working) but would appreciate information before taking the plunge. Thanks!
SmilesLots
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Unisyn & Snow Leopard?

Post by SmilesLots »

I have it running using Rosetta in SL. Use it rarely, almost never, since it only supports such a limited # of synths and modules for me. Do the OS upgrade, but install Rosetta, and you should be fine.
Mac Pro 1.1, SL 10.6.8, 13 gigs ram, DP7, 2 MTP-AV-USB, MTP-AV serial, Microlite, 828mk2, 828mk3, HDX-SDI, 7 other Macs
ericj
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ericj »

This is interesting, as I upgraded to Snow Leopard, installed Rosetta, and still my Unisyn app icon is crossed out. Trying to run the app gives me a dialog box saying "You can't open the application Unisyn 2 OSX because it is not supported on this type of Mac."

Did you reinstall Unisyn after you upgraded to Snow Leopard? I'm curious to know how you were able to get it to run.
SmilesLots

Post by SmilesLots »

ericj wrote:This is interesting, as I upgraded to Snow Leopard, installed Rosetta, and still my Unisyn app icon is crossed out. Trying to run the app gives me a dialog box saying "You can't open the application Unisyn 2 OSX because it is not supported on this type of Mac."

Did you reinstall Unisyn after you upgraded to Snow Leopard? I'm curious to know how you were able to get it to run.

Oops. My bad. It is on the 10.5 hd and not 10.6. Sometimes my computer will not start on the 10.6 hd and I do not even notice until something like this. So I guess no support. But I willo try to install it on the 10.6 hd later this week if I can find the disks again.
Mac Pro 1.1, SL 10.6.8, 13 gigs ram, DP7, 2 MTP-AV-USB, MTP-AV serial, Microlite, 828mk2, 828mk3, HDX-SDI, 7 other Macs
stiefelmusik

Post by stiefelmusik »

@SmilesLots

Well, I figured I'd give you six months to find the disks as opposed to a week. :lol:

Any news?

I'm still using a G5 for my main machine, but I'm slowly putting my PPC machines out to pasture. One of the big things holding me back is I need an editor/librarian for my hardware synths (I'm not really into softsynths...). I've been using eMagic SoundDiver for ages... and as a kludge on my Intel MacBook, I've got it running under Windows XP using Parallels. But the workflow sucks, since OS X and Parallels cannot access the MIDI interface at the same time... plus it means having to look at Windows (yuck)!

So, I'm very interested in finding a dedicated editor/librarian that will function natively on Snow Leopard. I would like to choose Unisyn... but... it ain't looking good! :(
ddye

Post by ddye »

I just installed Unisyn 2.1.1 on a 6 core Mac Pro running Snow Leopard with no problems. I didn't have to use Rosetta.

No problems yet, but I haven't hooked anything up to see. I got it because I have an incredible EMU B3 module and the data wheel is messed up.

In any event, you can certainly install it in Snow Leopard.
MacPro 6-Core 3.3 GHz Intel Xeon - 10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Shannon77
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Shannon77 »

It is a professional software of Max OS X and you should upgrade with Snow Leopard.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

ddye wrote:I just installed Unisyn 2.1.1 on a 6 core Mac Pro running Snow Leopard with no problems. I didn't have to use Rosetta.
Pretty sure Rosetta is transparent to the user and if it wasn't present on your machine, Unisyn wouldn't run. It won't work on Lion and above because there is no Rosetta after Snow Leopard.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!