Unisyn MIDI device issue

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

SWAN
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Unisyn MIDI device issue

Post by SWAN »

I just bought a Roland MKS80 and a friend donated his unused copy of Unisyn. Its 2.1...

I got it installed however - it does not seem to recognise my RME Fireface MIDI ports...the only available MIDI device is the IAC....this is in the MIDI devide drop down menu for the MKS80. When I go to Audio/MIDI settings my Fireface is there.....any ideas?

Also - I got no manual - just an installer - does anybody have a pdf?
carrythebanner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Unisyn MIDI device issue

Post by carrythebanner »

SWAN wrote:I just bought a Roland MKS80 and a friend donated his unused copy of Unisyn. Its 2.1...

I got it installed however - it does not seem to recognise my RME Fireface MIDI ports...the only available MIDI device is the IAC....this is in the MIDI devide drop down menu for the MKS80. When I go to Audio/MIDI settings my Fireface is there.....any ideas?
Try creating a dummy device in Audio MIDI Setup and connecting it to Fireface MIDI ports. Some apps don't recognize the ports themselves, only devices attached to them.
MOTU generally doesn't make PDFs of their manuals, though there are a few exceptions. Ask your friend to look for the print manual, or call up MOTU and order one. If your friend ever registered his copy of Unisyn, he should also call MOTU and transfer the registration to you (I think MOTU only sells software manuals to registered users).
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
SWAN

Post by SWAN »

carrythebanner wrote:
SWAN wrote:I just bought a Roland MKS80 and a friend donated his unused copy of Unisyn. Its 2.1...

Try creating a dummy device in Audio MIDI Setup and connecting it to Fireface MIDI ports. Some apps don't recognize the ports themselves, only devices attached to them.
MOTU generally doesn't make PDFs of their manuals, though there are a few exceptions. Ask your friend to look for the print manual, or call up MOTU and order one. If your friend ever registered his copy of Unisyn, he should also call MOTU and transfer the registration to you (I think MOTU only sells software manuals to registered users).
thanks - thats great I have now got my device set up in Audio MIDI and recognised.

Ive got it working so that I can send changes to the MKS80. However if I set up a MIDI cable from the MKS80 back to the computer I get a MIDI loop - so not sure how to deal with that (sorry for being such a MIDI noob :oops: )...also - in the MKS80 help file it says that 'we dont know how to upload a patch' which I guess means get a patch from the MKS to Unisyn...Thats a shame as Ive got some decent patches on there I would like to study....
bzfoto

Post by bzfoto »

I set up each device manually, most of the time unisyn does not figure out which MIDI port for which device properly, setting up the device manually helps a lot. Then before importing the patches and banks, open the system of each device and make sure the device ID is right, memory protect is off and the transmit channel is right. Usually one of these 4 things is the issue causing a problem.