MIDI ports on networked MTPII unreliable for Unisyn sysex

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI ports on networked MTPII unreliable for Unisyn sysex

Post by James Steele »

Posting this in it's own thread so it will hopefully be of use to some:

In case anybody is interested, I found out something very interesting this evening. I did get the old MTP II I purchased used to network to my MTP A/V USB but I found something interesting:

DO NOT ATTACH DEVICES TO THE NETWORKED MTP II THAT YOU NEED RELIABLE TWO-WAY (AS IN SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE) COMMUNICATION WITH!

I was having all kinds of trouble with devices that I connected both MIDI IN and OUT to the MTP II (which was daisy chained off my MTP/AV). Sysex communication was happening, however Unisyn was reporting bad MIDI headers and it was unusable. I realized however that I had definitely had Unisyn work with some of the sound modules I was having problems with when those modules were attached to MIDI ports on my MTP/AV which was connected to the computer via USB. So I re-hooked up modules that were giving me fits attached the the networked MTP back up to my MTP/AV and they worked great!

And yes... I tried FAST and 1Mhz speed on the MTP II and MTP A/V and it made no difference. Sysex on the networked MTP II was totally unreliable yet fine on the MTP/AV USB.

Bottom line... a used MTP II is still a GREAT deal and very usable, but only attach to it hardware that you intend to simply receive note-data and nothing else. At least not if you're using Unisyn. I haven't tried with other Editor/Librarians!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
keybored0
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MIDI ports on networked MTPII unreliable for Unisyn syse

Post by keybored0 »

Thought I should add something here. It might work for some of you. Maybe not...

I have a stack of MOTU and OPCODE serial interfaces which I use with OS9 and OSX. James...you mention you are using USB as your primary, but give this a try.

DP needs to initialize serial devices and their driver, such as GeeThree Serial Port, in AMSetup. DP won't automatically do it. So have a dedicated track in record mode with "MTP ALL' as the input and "MTP ALL" as the output. Then play a note or send a foot control message to the interface. Watch DP's MIDI Monitor.

Another trick would be to open AMSetup and click TEST. Then click an output.

I have networked an MTPAV with an MTPII more successfully than a pair of Studio 4's, although the Studio 4's have much less problems when used alone.

Wish it would help...
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI ports on networked MTPII unreliable for Unisyn syse

Post by Shooshie »

I wonder how far back that warning goes. I used to use an MTPII networked to the original MTP with both devices sending SysEx data to light boards and other instruments. As far as I can remember, the SysEx data was one-way; I don't think there were MIDI returns coming from those instruments, but I can't remember for sure about the larger light boards. They may have been two-way. Yes, come to think of it, during the creation of light plots I would have the operator of the lighting board send me cues, which made it much easier than when I would have to write them all by hand. (did plenty of that, too)

Anyway, the MTP and MTPII units never missed a beat. They performed impeccably on tour, never missed a cue, and always worked transparently and reliably. Guess we're talking about a different time and setup. This must have to do with translations of USB and/or serial data between the old and more modern units.

Well, glad to know it, anyway. If I ever am in that situation again, I will know not to use the MTPII for SysEx from the MTP-AV. Personally, I use two MTP-AV's now, myself, one of which IS a serial device. I'm going to assume that it does not share this problem with its older sister.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|